Sign in to follow this  
robblin17

If the season is cancelled, would we get the first pick?

And if so, would you be fine with the Angels tanking knowing that:

1. We suck anyways (and Trout probably isn’t coming back)
  2. The season is probably not going to get finished 
  3. We might be tanking already from the looks of the way we are playing this year

I was thinking about that this morning because it certainly feels like this season will get cancelled at some point.  My guess is they will just do a draft lotto based on record or they will just do the same order as this past draft.  With only 10 or so games being played there will be WAY too many teams with identical records.  Unless they made a plan for this, they have to do something that would be considered “fair”.  

12 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

Trout probably isn’t coming back

Has any credible source said this? Or is this a narrative that someone wrote on AW and people are now taking as fact?

Yeah, no way will they go on anything less than 50 or so games. As it is, the tank factor will likely come into play halfway through this season, with many teams bringing up minor leaguers.

46 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

Has any credible source said this? Or is this a narrative that someone wrote on AW and people are now taking as fact?

No. There is no source. All we know is Mike Trout started paternity leave on Thursday. The CBA allows for three games so he should be back with the team on Sunday. Or not if he opts out...

1 hour ago, mymerlincat said:

They should combine the records of this season and last season, take the average, and form draft lottery odds based on that.  Playoff teams from last season draft in the same order.

I think this is what they would choose to do too.   

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The 1994 season says hello.  

That was quite different. This is a pandemic situation. I would hate to see Manfred pulling the plug today and reflecting us as the worst team in baseball. 

1 hour ago, SoPas Angel said:

Sorry, should have clarified. That’s just my personal opinion. Just seems like an unnecessary risk for him at this point, but I could be totally wrong. 

15 hours ago, RendZone said:

That was quite different. This is a pandemic situation. I would hate to see Manfred pulling the plug today and reflecting us as the worst team in baseball. 

No, it wasn't.   The season was canceled.  

If they cancel this season, then the season ends prematurely just as it did in 1994, nobody is declared a winner and the results all count because they happened during actual MLB games.   The situations are certainly different but the end result will be the same.  Those stats will still count.

As far as your scenario goes.. if Manfred pulled the plug today, the Angels finish would be as irrelevant as the 1994 Expos season.

9 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

No, it wasn't.   The season was canceled.  

If they cancel this season, then the season ends prematurely just as it did in 1994, nobody is declared a winner and the results all count because they happened during actual MLB games.   The situations are certainly different but the end result will be the same.  Those stats will still count.

As far as your scenario goes.. if Manfred pulled the plug today the Angels finish would be as irrelevant as the 1994 Expos season.

#champsin94

🙂

12 hours ago, RBM said:

No. There is no source. All we know is Mike Trout started paternity leave on Thursday. The CBA allows for three games so he should be back with the team on Sunday. Or not if he opts out...

They can put him on the restricted list until he is ready to come back.

2 hours ago, greginpsca said:

They can put him on the restricted list until he is ready to come back.

I can see this happening.

18 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

As far as your scenario goes.. if Manfred pulled the plug today, the Angels finish would be as irrelevant as the 1994 any Expos season.

19 hours ago, RendZone said:

Cancelled means cancelled like it never happened. Albert loses his home run and Shohei never pitched the opener.

And Albert's career batting average improves!!