Sign in to follow this  
John Taylor

POLL: Will MLB Eventually Cancel the 2020 Season?

Will MLB Eventually Cancel the 2020 Season?  

82 members have voted

  1. 1. Will MLB Eventually Cancel the 2020 Season?

    • Yes
      58
    • No
      24
  2. 2. Should the 2020 MLB Season Be Cancelled?

    • Yes
      48
    • No
      34


Recommended Posts

Nope, they’re not going to cancel.  Yes it so far seems like a lot of positive cases, but how many of these players would have likely gotten/have already had it over the summer considering most are still going out and hanging out in big groups, often without masks or social distancing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put that they probably will but I also put they probably shouldn’t.  If they aren’t committed to disinfecting or if they aren’t committed to keeping each other safe or if they aren’t committed to following protocols then yea they should cancel.  If they are committed to those things then there’s no reason to cancel the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the league is committed to those things, but there are more than a few players who are just being knuckleheaded about it, and they're the ones that are going to ruin it for all their teammates.  Nothing really against them; they're all relatively young, quite strong and generally healthy men - that's the demographic where "I'm immortal" is found.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they disinfect like it's the end of the world and cases still rise, then the season is done.

Let's try to get a handle on this and after another week or two reevaluate. What we're hearing from the CDC is that cases are surging throughout the country. They're already talking about a "second wave" that could be worse than the previous four months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, hen3ry said:

I think the league is committed to those things, but there are more than a few players who are just being knuckleheaded about it, and they're the ones that are going to ruin it for all their teammates.  Nothing really against them; they're all relatively young, quite strong and generally healthy men - that's the demographic where "I'm immortal" is found.  

Or the source could be someone else in the clubhouse and not the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there are more daily cancelations  and big chunks of the schedule compromised,  the integrity of the season is going to be lost. They should have gone the hub city route.

Seems inevitable that this experiment is destined  to leave no one satisfied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

If they disinfect like it's the end of the world and cases still rise, then the season is done.

Let's try to get a handle on this and after another week or two reevaluate. What we're hearing from the CDC is that cases are surging throughout the country. They're already talking about a "second wave" that could be worse than the previous four months.

Two thoughts in response to the CDC:

1). The deaths vs new cases % nationally has decreased over the past month.   It was 4-5% into June and just around 2% in July.

2). Are they saying second wave will be worse because that’s how the 1918 pandemic played out?   Or other evidence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the NFL is looking at MLB's disaster and making plans to do some sort of bubble.  When you allow travel, you allow a lot more possibilities of contact and contamination.  Canada is looking smart in not allowing Toronto to play their home games this season because of this potential result of additional cases.  We'll see how the bubble goes for the NHL and NBA, but right now, those two leagues are doing a much better job in handling the situation than MLB is right now.  At this point, it's probably best to shut down and cancel the season before more players get the virus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

If they disinfect like it's the end of the world and cases still rise, then the season is done.

Let's try to get a handle on this and after another week or two reevaluate. What we're hearing from the CDC is that cases are surging throughout the country. They're already talking about a "second wave" that could be worse than the previous four months.

second wave? shit, we never made it out of the first one. this is how surfers drown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I hope the NFL is looking at MLB's disaster and making plans to do some sort of bubble.  When you allow travel, you allow a lot more possibilities of contact and contamination.  Canada is looking smart in not allowing Toronto to play their home games this season because of this potential result of additional cases.  We'll see how the bubble goes for the NHL and NBA, but right now, those two leagues are doing a much better job in handling the situation than MLB is right now.  At this point, it's probably best to shut down and cancel the season before more players get the virus. 

Agree. I don’t know why MLB didn’t just follow NHL and NBA with a bubble in one state or two different. If it still looks like this for the NFL and no fans are allowed. I wonder if LA or Vegas with those brand new stadiums will be used as a bubble? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Agree. I don’t know why MLB didn’t just follow NHL and NBA with a bubble in one state or two different. If it still looks like this for the NFL and no fans are allowed. I wonder if LA or Vegas with those brand new stadiums will be used as a bubble? 

No idea, and it would've been easily doable with the two spring training sites in AZ and FL with ample baseball fields to get this done easily!  Never thought I would see a commissioner be as bad as the NHL's Gary Bettman was but Manfred probably reached that level and in my opinion exceeded it with his performance since the end of the 2019 World Series.  Just one bad decision after another.  Ever since Bettman locked out the players and lost an entire season, he has performed his duties a bit better as the league has increased revenues and has financially done well for both the teams and players and handled the Coronavirus situation a lot better than Manfred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this