• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

POLL: Will MLB Eventually Cancel the 2020 Season?

Will MLB Eventually Cancel the 2020 Season?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will MLB Eventually Cancel the 2020 Season?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the 2020 MLB Season Be Cancelled?

• Yes
    • No

• John Taylor changed the title to POLL: Will MLB Eventually Cancel the 2020 Season?

Nope, they’re not going to cancel.  Yes it so far seems like a lot of positive cases, but how many of these players would have likely gotten/have already had it over the summer considering most are still going out and hanging out in big groups, often without masks or social distancing?

I put that they probably will but I also put they probably shouldn’t.  If they aren’t committed to disinfecting or if they aren’t committed to keeping each other safe or if they aren’t committed to following protocols then yea they should cancel.  If they are committed to those things then there’s no reason to cancel the season. 

I think the league is committed to those things, but there are more than a few players who are just being knuckleheaded about it, and they're the ones that are going to ruin it for all their teammates.  Nothing really against them; they're all relatively young, quite strong and generally healthy men - that's the demographic where "I'm immortal" is found.  

If they disinfect like it's the end of the world and cases still rise, then the season is done.

Let's try to get a handle on this and after another week or two reevaluate. What we're hearing from the CDC is that cases are surging throughout the country. They're already talking about a "second wave" that could be worse than the previous four months.

52 minutes ago, hen3ry said:

I think the league is committed to those things, but there are more than a few players who are just being knuckleheaded about it, and they're the ones that are going to ruin it for all their teammates.  Nothing really against them; they're all relatively young, quite strong and generally healthy men - that's the demographic where "I'm immortal" is found.  

Or the source could be someone else in the clubhouse and not the players.

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

If they disinfect like it's the end of the world and cases still rise, then the season is done.

Let's try to get a handle on this and after another week or two reevaluate. What we're hearing from the CDC is that cases are surging throughout the country. They're already talking about a "second wave" that could be worse than the previous four months.

Two thoughts in response to the CDC:

1). The deaths vs new cases % nationally has decreased over the past month.   It was 4-5% into June and just around 2% in July.

2). Are they saying second wave will be worse because that’s how the 1918 pandemic played out?   Or other evidence?

I hope the NFL is looking at MLB's disaster and making plans to do some sort of bubble.  When you allow travel, you allow a lot more possibilities of contact and contamination.  Canada is looking smart in not allowing Toronto to play their home games this season because of this potential result of additional cases.  We'll see how the bubble goes for the NHL and NBA, but right now, those two leagues are doing a much better job in handling the situation than MLB is right now.  At this point, it's probably best to shut down and cancel the season before more players get the virus. 

5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

second wave? shit, we never made it out of the first one. this is how surfers drown.

52 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I hope the NFL is looking at MLB's disaster and making plans to do some sort of bubble.  When you allow travel, you allow a lot more possibilities of contact and contamination.  Canada is looking smart in not allowing Toronto to play their home games this season because of this potential result of additional cases.  We'll see how the bubble goes for the NHL and NBA, but right now, those two leagues are doing a much better job in handling the situation than MLB is right now.  At this point, it's probably best to shut down and cancel the season before more players get the virus. 

Agree. I don’t know why MLB didn’t just follow NHL and NBA with a bubble in one state or two different. If it still looks like this for the NFL and no fans are allowed. I wonder if LA or Vegas with those brand new stadiums will be used as a bubble? 

47 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Agree. I don’t know why MLB didn’t just follow NHL and NBA with a bubble in one state or two different. If it still looks like this for the NFL and no fans are allowed. I wonder if LA or Vegas with those brand new stadiums will be used as a bubble? 

No idea, and it would've been easily doable with the two spring training sites in AZ and FL with ample baseball fields to get this done easily!  Never thought I would see a commissioner be as bad as the NHL's Gary Bettman was but Manfred probably reached that level and in my opinion exceeded it with his performance since the end of the 2019 World Series.  Just one bad decision after another.  Ever since Bettman locked out the players and lost an entire season, he has performed his duties a bit better as the league has increased revenues and has financially done well for both the teams and players and handled the Coronavirus situation a lot better than Manfred.