• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Bullpen

mmc

Feels like this is going to be talked about quite a bit this season, especially before the trade deadline as, while it's still early, this looks to currently be the biggest weakness of the team.  We know Eppler loves to buy low on DFAd/waived players, so it is likely that any further adds will be from there as well.  What do you think of our current group, who do you think is worth keeping on the roster, and what players do you think we should or will go after in trades?

Is this bullpen the weakest we’ve had in recent years?  Do we have a single reliable arm?  Even arms that looked good one day are seemingly trash the next.

or is it overreaction to a 2-4 start?  I’m hoping an overreaction, but no one inspires confidence out there.  

2 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Is this bullpen the weakest we’ve had in recent years?  Do we have a single reliable arm?  Even arms that looked good one day are seemingly trash the next.

or is it overreaction to a 2-4 start?  I’m hoping an overreaction, but no one inspires confidence out there.  

Yes

The pen has been fine outside of what, 2 games?

I think we have a pretty good core. The early parts of the season are where you figure out what you have. Unfortunately this year that's blown up quite a bit, but I'm not worried about it.

I think it comes down to better Bullpen Management.

For example yesterday;

1. Heaney should not have been taken out that early.

2. Mayers should not have stayed in that long. he was struggling, the Command wasn't there. He was struggling to get Marmolejos out, he did pick up the strike out, but it took him while. 

It ironic how Maddon though that heaney's stuff wasn't that good in the fifth, yet Mayers was struggling and even after 3 hitters, he was still in the game. 

I don't mind Maddon pulling Heaney, as for whatever reason, Heaney has a history of totally losing it in a game, once batters start getting to him.

It's seemingly like clockwork.

In the case of Mayers though, he clearly did not have it and had already faced 5 batters before the HR.   I'm not sure why Joe would keep him in for so long.  

9 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

I'm definitely hoping we add someone elite to lead the pen, but I do not yet know who I want it to be.  Need a few more weeks to really see who the top performers are before deciding that, don't go based on past performance, that's how we get Cody Allens.  

Problem is that they didn't get a spring training. I'm very upset at how the bullpen has blown so many games, but it's so hard to judge guys that are still really getting it going. Trying to be patient, but that's tough with the short season.

19 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I don't mind Maddon pulling Heaney, as for whatever reason, Heaney has a history of totally losing it in a game, once batters start getting to him.

It's seemingly like clockwork.

In the case of Mayers though, he clearly did not have it and had already faced 5 batters before the HR.   I'm not sure why Joe would keep him in for so long.  

This! 

also the Bullpen needs to held responsible. there are guys in it that can dominate. Sp far no outside of Pena can command and throw strikes.

21 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

The pen has been fine outside of what, 2 games?

I think we have a pretty good core. The early parts of the season are where you figure out what you have. Unfortunately this year that's blown up quite a bit, but I'm not worried about it.

I tend to agree with this but I'm not confident in the overall talent of arms in the pen.