• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Mariners @ Angels (7/29/20)

mmc

1 minute ago, SoPas Angel said:

Very little aside from the postseason. Is it actually common for him to pull a pitcher when he's at 64 pitches and 1 ER?

It's common for him to do things that aren't necessary.  He also has a longer leash than MS ever did.  I don't really recall him pulling guys after 65 or so pitches, he also had a couple horses that he was comfortable riding, but there was always noise when he pulled the guys not named Price or Shields.   But mostly he just did things at times for what seemed like no reason other than to do something or get some guy playing time.

I was poking fun at the situation in the post you responded to, but I don't really know this is all on Maddon..   The whole third time through the order thing is all the rage and we saw the Angels did it a lot last year too.

Seems like Maddon treated the situation too casually and let it get out of hand. With a three run lead over a losing team he thought they could just coast the rest of the way. 

These are the games you need to have the opposite mindset. A killer instinct to bury the opponent and secure the win. Especially this 60 game season. 

1 minute ago, Duren, Duren said:

Seems like Maddon treated the situation too casually and let it get out of hand. With a three run lead over a losing team he thought they could just coast the rest of the way. 

These are the games you need to have the opposite mindset. A killer instinct to bury the opponent and secure the win. Especially this 60 game season. 

Exactly this.

My rant about what just happened...

Madden is known for wanting to give guys opportunities and making moves to make moves -- fine,  whatever.   Yes, they had a three run lead and it's early -- but if you're going to pull the SP that was pretty much grooving after he let a runner reach base -- why don't you go to a guy you can trust to get you out of the inning and then be the guy that gives everyone playing time when nobody is on base.

Maddon's tendencies weren't the issue for me so much as his going with a guy with no history of success and an established history of giving up base-runners and hits.  Mayer has never completed a season where he gave up fewer hits than innings pitched in his four short MLB seasons.   Just stupid.