Gameday Thread: Mariners @ Angels (7/29/20)

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fletcher is the perfect leadoff hitter with his remarkable ability to get on base. He isn't a power hitter but does have speed on the bases.

You gotta laugh at the how the manager always pulls the guy RIGHT AFTER he blows the game.

He made the trip around the bases TWICE last night... that's a lot of exertion for a guy his age. 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'd probably go Trout / Ohtani / Rendon / La Stella right now

Yep, 3 and 5 can be a carousel of Upton, Ohtani, La Stella, and I like the lefties in the 3 spot.

Trout and Rendon should be locks at 2 and 4, and those are the easiest decisions. Fletcher could arguably be replaced by Ohtani at leadoff, but not the way they're hitting now.

2 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Yep, 3 and 5 can be a carousel of Upton, Ohtani, La Stella, and I like the lefties in the 3 spot.

Trout and Rendon should be locks at 2 and 4, and those are the easiest decisions. Fletcher could arguably be replaced by Ohtani at leadoff, but not the way they're hitting now.

Fletcher is the perfect leadoff hitter with his remarkable ability to get on base. He isn't a power hitter but does have speed on the bases.

Just now, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Agreed, but leadoff should technically be one of your 3 best hitters overall, regardless of style. Normally, I'd say Ohtani is the team's 3rd best hitter; but Fletcher has disagreed so far. 

This offense can be scary good if they can find some protection for Fletch.

Analysis be damned, I LOVE Fletcher batting first. He's a pain in the ass to get out, and great at getting on base. By the end of that at bat, the pitcher likely has thrown more pitches than they want to, has a man on, and now has to face Trout (and Rendon and Ohtani). It seems like it must be just mentally exhausting.

13 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Why? 

It's been known for many years now that 1, 2, and 4 are for the best hitters in the lineup. I haven't checked the math myself but it seems simple enough; do you question the fact that the oranges and light blues are the best properties in Monopoly? Same idea.

It's funny how everyone accepts wRC+ on faith but has a problem with lineup math. But for me, the easiest example is last night's 1st inning. Would you rather have Rendon up with 2 outs nobody on, or lead off the 2nd?

43 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Agreed, but leadoff should technically be one of your 3 best hitters overall, regardless of style. Normally, I'd say Ohtani is the team's 3rd best hitter; but Fletcher has disagreed so far. 

This offense can be scary good if they can find some protection for Fletch.

Fletcher is the best hitter ATM. l have always thought the OBP was most important for lead off hitter.