• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fletch for Starting Shortstop

OttoDog

Count me out.  Simmons still is a very good defender.  Fletcher can still play nearly every day... 2B, OF... DH (better than Ward, Thaiss)... occasionally at 3B and SS to give Rendon and Simmons a day off.   He's gonna play a lot.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Simba is just awful at the plate. He's a great defender, but how many more years will he be able to perform at the level he has?

Pass. 

I agree with you Chuck. Bat is so light and the defense while still exceptional is only going to trend one way 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

If the Halos could get some higher level pitching for Simmons in a trade, I’d be tempted to do that. 

Seriously? Why do some people think Simmons has so much value? We’ve been down this road a few times the last couple of seasons and there isn’t many if any teams in ‘win now’ mode needing a defensive shortstop. Especially considering he’d be a rental now this year

7 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Seriously? Why do some people think Simmons has so much value? We’ve been down this road a few times the last couple of seasons and there isn’t many if any teams in ‘win now’ mode needing a defensive shortstop. Especially considering he’d be a rental now this year

That’s why i said if and I would not expect front end of the rotation guys. Higher level is probably the wrong word there. 

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I do! 

I'm done with Simba.

Let Rengifo/La Stella man 2B. 

Simba will man SS for the rest of this year once he returns (whatever little is left of it), but I think moving forward, Fletcher is our SS "of the future."  Simba will leave as a FA, Fletcher takes over SS, and likely LaStella leaves as a FA too, with Rengifo taking over 2B.  The money that's saved will be used to, hopefully, get another SP.

While Simba is out, against RHP, I'd like to see a lineup like this:  SS Fletcher, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, LF Upton, 1B LaStella/Pujols, C Castro/Stassi, 2B Rengifo, RF Goodwin.  Hopefully fairly soon, once the service time manipulation is done, we can call Adell up and slot him in, too 😉

While Fletcher should certainly be starting and leading off most every game right now, this is a bit premature.

You can easily compare him to Simmons as Simmons wasn't hitting much in the 4 games he started, but that is a small sample size. LaStella isn't really hitting either though.

Fletcher's versatility is one of his best attributes, so I can see starting him occasionally at SS even once Andrelton returns, but short of every other hitter at every other position he plays dominating as well, he'll continue to be a super utility player and start somewhere else, every day.