• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rendon is the key

Honestly, not a great night for Ohtani. Didn’t get it done with the bases loaded and then a base running error in the tenth led to a lost run. Not to say the team as a whole wasn’t a bit anemic offensively last night, but those were a couple of big misses for a guy in the 3 spot. Having Rendon back will help with adding that extra protection. Lengthening it one more guy will be huge. Trout-Ohtani-Rendon-Upton-La Stella (in whatever order they end up in) is pretty solid. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Regardless if Rendon is in the lineup, every team in baseball will load the bases by walking Trout in the 8th or 9th inning to face the next batter. 

And that next batter should be Rendon.

Honestly, I want Rendon up in a big spot over Trout. Sorry not sorry.

30 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yes I too will take the guy who has never had an at bat in an Angels uniform over our 3-time MVP with a career 1.080 OPS with RISP.

Yeah I will. Did you not watch Rendon in the playoffs? I’m not saying Rendon is a better player... I’m just saying I would be more confident in Rendon coming through in a big spot over Trout. He’s so calm at the plate it’s not even funny. 

1 hour ago, Bronson said:

Lol Fletch doesn’t figure into our long term success. Fletch might be an exception? What the actual fuck are you talking about?

Fletch is a nice complimentary player but he is never going to be a star. I don’t hate him but he isn’t the ideal lead off hitter for a championship team. 

17 minutes ago, angelinkc said:

Fletch is a nice complimentary player but he is never going to be a star. I don’t hate him but he isn’t the ideal lead off hitter for a championship team. 

He is literally a 4-5 WAR player with Gold Glove caliber defense. 

So much disrespect.

2 hours ago, Bronson said:

He is literally a 4-5 WAR player with Gold Glove caliber defense. 

So much disrespect.

There's nobody else I would want to see with less than two outs and a runner on third.  Fletch is clutch.  He's David Eckstein with more natural ability. 

20 minutes ago, Lou said:

Career OPS with runner on 3B, less than 2 outs:

Fletcher = .790

Trout = .939

Still want Fletcher up. Fletchers contact rate is WAY higher then Trouts. And with a runner on 3rd with less then 2 outs... you want contact.

2 hours ago, oldguy said:

There's nobody else I would want to see with less than two outs and a runner on third.  Fletch is clutch.  He's David Eckstein with more natural ability. 

So Chuck thinks Fletcher sucks. Then there is this ^^^^.

lol.

Fletch is a guy with elite defense, solid contact, basically no power, very solid average, and one of the upper half of batters in a daily lineup. He’s a good fit for the lead-off spot. 

I’d rather have the best hitter in that situation. That would be Trout, Rendon, probably Ohtani. Dunno about Upton - he’s got solid power, but not necessarily the best guy just to bring in to get a hit. 

With a runner on third he’d absolutely be in my top 3 to have up with Trout and Rendon being the other two.  Yea I get wanting OPS obviously.  But I’ve seen way too many times recently guys strike out and not get the run in.  On the Angels Albert would be high on my list as well to get that run in. 

Without Rendon, I think we saw how mediocre our lineup is vs LHP - Upton 3rd, Pujols 4th, Ward 5th, etc.

It worked out well yesterday, but man, looking forward to Rendon's healthy return.

I fully expect Adell to be up later in the year, though, and with both Rendon and Adell, we could see something like this:

With Ohtani:  2B Fletcher, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, RF Adell, LF Upton, 1B Pujols (or LaStella), C Stassi/Castro, SS Simba

Without Ohtani:  2B Fletcher, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, RF Adell, LF Upton, DH Pujols, 1B LaStella, C Stassi/Castro, SS Simba

Having a healthy Rendon (and, later, Adell) will definitely make this a considerably more formidable lineup vs LHP.  Really do wish we'd see more of LaStella instead of Pujols at 1B, but, oh well.

On 7/26/2020 at 6:30 AM, Lou said:

Holy crap, you're right!

Yeah, I'll take Trout. 

Yeah, I decided to look at it because I thought there might be some validity to the Fletcher argument given his extreme propensity to make contact (even though my initial thought is obviously Trout is the guy you want coming up in any situation). Looking up the stats made me even more in awe. It's unbelievable.