• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Why do people think the Astros are going to be so good?

Hubs

Reviewing predictions and projections from the national media and I just don't understand why people believe that the Astros will be so good. Like, they lost their #1 pitcher, Verlander is a year older, their offense won't have trash cans or band-aid buzzers, so I see them slumping big time. It's going to be harder for them to be so much better than the other teams in the division.

I know people think they have a lot of talent, but honestly I've always believed they weren't a great team, they were a good team that usually got so lucky. Now we know it was a lot of cheating, rather than luck. And just because they couldn't prove the buzzers or the various ways their pitching surely cheated, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Dusty Baker is an old school manager in a new school team, and I see them not being a good fit.

I think they'll finish around .500, likely closer to a bit under. 29-31, 28-32. They are not going to be a 40 win team.

I think you're seriously underestimating the talent of Alvarez, Bregman, Correa, and Altuve. That's an absolutely solid core group of guys. Even Brantley and Guirrel are fantastic support pieces. 

The only questionable part of their team is if their pitching will hold up. They lost Cole. Its only a matter of time until Grienke and Verlander pitch their age. McCullers is a wild card coming of injury. and Whitley, James, and Urquidy are all prospects that still have a lot to prove. Their pen has Pressly and Osuna but not much else.

They will still finish over .500 unless by some miracle everything goes wrong. 

6 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Because they still have 2 TOR starters, a good bullpen, and a top 5 offense in the league?

Exactly.  I can understand questioning whether or not the Rangers will be any good -- that offense could be awful.  But the Astros even if that entire offense suddenly became perfectly league average still has enough pitching to win out.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Reviewing predictions and projections from the national media and I just don't understand why people believe that the Astros will be so good. Like, they lost their #1 pitcher, Verlander is a year older, their offense won't have trash cans or band-aid buzzers, so I see them slumping big time. It's going to be harder for them to be so much better than the other teams in the division.

I know people think they have a lot of talent, but honestly I've always believed they weren't a great team, they were a good team that usually got so lucky. Now we know it was a lot of cheating, rather than luck. And just because they couldn't prove the buzzers or the various ways their pitching surely cheated, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Dusty Baker is an old school manager in a new school team, and I see them not being a good fit.

I think they'll finish around .500, likely closer to a bit under. 29-31, 28-32. They are not going to be a 40 win team.

Because last season went into the garbage "can", so their is nowhere to go but up.

38 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Their pen is suspect, the elite pitching is down a pitcher, the elite offense doesn’t know what pitches are coming, New coaching staff equals big time less than wins.

Maybe not big time less wins, but I could see them struggling to win the AL West.    Something like 34-26? 

16 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

They'll be good because they have a lot of really good players

DO they? Or do they have a few good to great players and a lot of mediocre to good players bumped up a level because they knew which pitch was coming? If Mike Trout regularly knew what pitch was coming, he'd have a .500 batting average and a .700 OBP with a .900 SLG pct.

My predictions:

Former MVP / batting champion vertically challenged 2B Jose Altuve hits .280 with 3 HR and  a high .700's OPS.

Yordan Alvarez has the mother of all sophmore slumps. Instead of being a 1.000 OPS hitter, he slumps to a .770 OPS.

Alex Bregman still has All-Star level numbers, but there is a significant decrease,  .280/.380/.530.

George Springer has a similar decline to Bregman .275/.340/.490

Yuri Gurriel and Carlos Correa miss time with injuries.

Their team HR total drops from 1st, to 7th.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

My predictions:

Former MVP / batting champion vertically challenged 2B Jose Altuve hits .280 with 3 HR and  a high .700's OPS.

Yordan Alvarez has the mother of all sophmore slumps. Instead of being a 1.000 OPS hitter, he slumps to a .770 OPS.

Alex Bregman still has All-Star level numbers, but there is a significant decrease,  .280/.380/.530.

George Springer has a similar decline to Bregman .275/.340/.490

Yuri Gurriel and Carlos Correa miss time with injuries.

Their team HR total drops from 1st, to 7th.

I hope you are right, but there is really no chance I see Altuve dipping to those numbers.  I would even wager on him having much better numbers.  I truly think this is one of those times where they are a really good team made better by cheating.  Not a good team made great by cheating.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I still say it's highly doubtful he only hits 3 home runs

He's also played 76% of his games last year, which would be 45 games. = 3.6 HR if he's on that 13 HR pace.