• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Patrick Sandoval returns to Angels after bout with the coronavirus

ANAHEIM >> The Angels now have at least one player in their clubhouse with first-hand experience of the coronavirus.

Patrick Sandoval, who has been back in Angels camp for a few days after missing the start of workouts, said on Monday that he tested positive for the coronavirus back in June.

The Angels have had nine players who have missed at least part of camp for undisclosed reasons. Sandoval, Jared Walsh and Matt Thaiss have now all returned.

So far Sandoval is the only one to say that he had COVID-19.

The team is prohibited from providing information about any player’s health unless it’s a baseball-related physical injury.

Sandoval is now back to work and feeling “great,” he said, but not without enduring a few difficult days last month.

A 23-year-old left-hander, Sandoval is a product of Mission Viejo High and still lives in Orange County. He was playing golf with a friend back in June and he believes that’s when he contracted the virus.

“The first two or three days, I had really bad body aches in my back, unlike anything I’ve felt before,” he said. “It was pretty heavy for two days. Once that went away, it was me by myself in my house, sitting alone for however many days, not being able to do anything and missing life. That was rough too.”

Sandoval said even though his symptoms passed quickly, it was still upsetting after he received the diagnosis on June 22.

“It was a little scary at first,” he said. “Obviously the virus has killed many people. That’s sad and tragic, so that’s on your mind. I just took it day by day, and once symptoms started going away, I felt confident I would be able to get back to playing baseball.”

Sandoval waited 15 days to get a negative test. And he couldn’t rejoin the team until he had two consecutive negative tests. He was able to arrive in camp on Thursday, a week after the first workout. He threw a bullpen session on Sunday.

“It went really well,” Sandoval of the bullpen session. “My body feels great, honestly. I feel like I’m in pretty good shape right now. So that’s a good sign.”

Sandoval would have been a candidate for the back end of the Angels rotation, but the missed time likely drops him back a notch, so he is likely to start the season working out with the squad in Long Beach until the Angels need him.

He also now serves the role as an example to his teammates about the impact of the coronavirus.

“I think that they’ll see that a guy that had been ill is able to come back relatively quickly and get on with it and get back to his normal patterns very quickly,” Manager Joe Maddon said. “I think psychologically, that’s that’s a good thing.”

Sandoval said that he thinks the Angels so far have done a good job of following the health and safety protocols.

“I feel like we’re on top of everything,” Sandoval said. “We have conversations all the time about staying away, being smart, wearing masks every time you go out. I’m pretty confident in what we’re doing. Can’t speak for other teams, but everyone here is taking seriously. Everyone wants to play.  We don’t want to be the team that messes it up for the whole league.”

WARNING SIGN

There continue to be signs around the majors of logistical issues with the testing. On Monday a few members of the Cubs, including Manager David Ross, were held out of the workout because they didn’t get their results.

Maddon conceded Monday that there could be issues during the season that would make players unavailable.

“To think that there’s not going to be another glitch at some point, I think that it’s improper to think that way, because some things are going to happen,” Maddon said. “We have to be nimble and flexible and move through it.”

ALSO

Major League Baseball may have umpires fly on team charters to minimize their exposure to commercial travel. Maddon said he’s aware of the possibility and has no issue with it. “Who knows? It might even make for a better relationship between umpires and players and managers, etc.,” he said. “This is a time when you can’t worry about the way we had done things like that in the past. If it gets the umpires there more safely, in that kind of controlled environment, it makes all the sense in the world. I know that there’s potential for a bad moment. I agree with that, too. But under the circumstances, I understand why they’re considering it.”…

Maddon said so far there have been no physical injuries that limited any players in camp.

View the full article

On 7/13/2020 at 2:07 PM, AngelsWin.com said:

ANAHEIM >> The Angels now have at least one player in their clubhouse with first-hand experience of the coronavirus.

Patrick Sandoval, who has been back in Angels camp for a few days after missing the start of workouts, said on Monday that he tested positive for the coronavirus back in June.

The Angels have had nine players who have missed at least part of camp for undisclosed reasons. Sandoval, Jared Walsh and Matt Thaiss have now all returned.

So far Sandoval is the only one to say that he had COVID-19.

The team is prohibited from providing information about any player’s health unless it’s a baseball-related physical injury.

Sandoval is now back to work and feeling “great,” he said, but not without enduring a few difficult days last month.

A 23-year-old left-hander, Sandoval is a product of Mission Viejo High and still lives in Orange County. He was playing golf with a friend back in June and he believes that’s when he contracted the virus.

“The first two or three days, I had really bad body aches in my back, unlike anything I’ve felt before,” he said. “It was pretty heavy for two days. Once that went away, it was me by myself in my house, sitting alone for however many days, not being able to do anything and missing life. That was rough too.”

Sandoval said even though his symptoms passed quickly, it was still upsetting after he received the diagnosis on June 22.

“It was a little scary at first,” he said. “Obviously the virus has killed many people. That’s sad and tragic, so that’s on your mind. I just took it day by day, and once symptoms started going away, I felt confident I would be able to get back to playing baseball.”

Sandoval waited 15 days to get a negative test. And he couldn’t rejoin the team until he had two consecutive negative tests. He was able to arrive in camp on Thursday, a week after the first workout. He threw a bullpen session on Sunday.

“It went really well,” Sandoval of the bullpen session. “My body feels great, honestly. I feel like I’m in pretty good shape right now. So that’s a good sign.”

Sandoval would have been a candidate for the back end of the Angels rotation, but the missed time likely drops him back a notch, so he is likely to start the season working out with the squad in Long Beach until the Angels need him.

He also now serves the role as an example to his teammates about the impact of the coronavirus.

“I think that they’ll see that a guy that had been ill is able to come back relatively quickly and get on with it and get back to his normal patterns very quickly,” Manager Joe Maddon said. “I think psychologically, that’s that’s a good thing.”

Sandoval said that he thinks the Angels so far have done a good job of following the health and safety protocols.

“I feel like we’re on top of everything,” Sandoval said. “We have conversations all the time about staying away, being smart, wearing masks every time you go out. I’m pretty confident in what we’re doing. Can’t speak for other teams, but everyone here is taking seriously. Everyone wants to play.  We don’t want to be the team that messes it up for the whole league.”

WARNING SIGN

There continue to be signs around the majors of logistical issues with the testing. On Monday a few members of the Cubs, including Manager David Ross, were held out of the workout because they didn’t get their results.

Maddon conceded Monday that there could be issues during the season that would make players unavailable.

“To think that there’s not going to be another glitch at some point, I think that it’s improper to think that way, because some things are going to happen,” Maddon said. “We have to be nimble and flexible and move through it.”

Related Articles

ALSO

Major League Baseball may have umpires fly on team charters to minimize their exposure to commercial travel. Maddon said he’s aware of the possibility and has no issue with it. “Who knows? It might even make for a better relationship between umpires and players and managers, etc.,” he said. “This is a time when you can’t worry about the way we had done things like that in the past. If it gets the umpires there more safely, in that kind of controlled environment, it makes all the sense in the world. I know that there’s potential for a bad moment. I agree with that, too. But under the circumstances, I understand why they’re considering it.”…

Maddon said so far there have been no physical injuries that limited any players in camp.

View the full article

I could not be trusted being on the same flight as Joe West. Sorry!

1 hour ago, SoPas Angel said:

Correct. I have extensive experience with this*, and a fat guy is exactly what you need in a survival situation. 

*By which I mean I have seen Alive several times

I saw the original when I was in high school. was glad I didn't have to fly anywhere during those few years.