• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How does no minor league season effect development

With no minor league season, how will player development be affected? Some posts have talked about not calling up players because they need more development, but how can they develop if they aren't playing. 

I think after 20-25 games the team needs to decide to go for it or "develop their players". These 60 games have to be used for development in my mind. Give the young guys playing time so they get experience. 

I truly think MLB is taking a shotgun and pointing it right at their own heads with these recent pushes to reduce the Minor Leagues in general and then questionable decisions like this where they will let Major League Baseball play but not the Minor Leagues.

"Hey we are having trouble attracting young players to the game of baseball, so let's reduce the number of Minor League outlets to not only accommodate those shrinking numbers but to also decrease our visibility and footprint around the country! Hooray!"

"Hey let's take our most valuable MLB assets and put them on the field while we let the undiscovered and underdeveloped future of our game wither away on the vine down on the farm! Hooray, we are saving money! Us owners are SO SMART!"

These takes by MLB also make me wonder why the League is thinking about expansion too? I mean if teams are shifting to younger players (as evidenced by a lot of recent extensions to young players) and letting older players walk off into retirement in their mid-30's, rather than keeping them and their built-in reputations, leadership, and, albeit declining, skills in the game, aren't they burning the candle from both ends by hacking off large swaths of the Minor Leagues and the players that play in them? Won't this decrease the available players both young and old, thus making it harder to fill Major League rosters? Won't two more expansion teams require a large number of players to fill their 40-man rosters and Minor League systems?

These moves by MLB will potentially damage the game moving forward in my opinion. I am not sure they are fully thinking this through for the long-run. As much as Claude hates him, Pujols and players like him (Yadier Molina, Matt Carpenter, et. al.) are good for the game and fans in a reasonable dose.

two points.

firstly, you don't develop minor leaguers in the major leagues. it's not simply "live pitching". you take a player and drown him that way. if it's a minor leaguer who was on the cusp, then sure.

secondly, ettin is right. MLB is antiquated and dumb. they think they're geniuses for making fistfuls of money, when they should be making bags full. i don't remember which GM said it, but he nailed it on the head when he talked about the career minor leaguers who go on to be coaches, etc. doing more for the game than any 20 year major leaguer ever could.

Maybe they are trying to make it closer to the NFL and NBA models. I don't know a lot about development in baseball, but why do you need so many levels? 

Maybe with less rounds and players in the minors, more players will stay in college making the competition greater, eliminating the need for so many minor league levels. 

Couldn't baseball also have a league for rookies like the NBA summer league where teams can look at undrafted players etc. 

7 hours ago, happybat4 said:

With no minor league season, how will player development be affected? Some posts have talked about not calling up players because they need more development, but how can they develop if they aren't playing. 

I think after 20-25 games the team needs to decide to go for it or "develop their players". These 60 games have to be used for development in my mind. Give the young guys playing time so they get experience. 

It's worse for hitters than pitchers, the lone saving grace for us is that we already had one of the youngest systems in baseball.  A lost season of development blows but still further away from their primes than most systems.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, ettin said:

truly think MLB is taking a shotgun and pointing it right at their own heads with these recent pushes to reduce the Minor Leagues in general and then questionable decisions like this where they will let Major League Baseball play but not the Minor Leagues.

MLB had no choice on this one. The MLB safety manual is 101 pages. It would be impossible to manage those type of limitations for six minor league teams, who travel on commercial flights or packed into buses for 8-12 hours at a time, and in small clubhouses. There’s no way they could sanitize everything in Orem at the level they are trying to do it in Anaheim. Also, the cost of testing for those guys would be enormous. 

Finally, minor league teams can’t exist without fans. MLB can make money from TV. That doesn’t exist in the minors. 

There’s just no way it would have been possible to have minor league baseball this year. That was clear by mid April. 

On 6/30/2020 at 12:14 PM, ettin said:

I truly think MLB is taking a shotgun and pointing it right at their own heads with these recent pushes to reduce the Minor Leagues in general and then questionable decisions like this where they will let Major League Baseball play but not the Minor Leagues.

A lot of it comes down to economics. Minor league teams don't have television revenue coming in, and with no ticket or merchandise sales or concessions, clubs would operate at a total loss.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:06 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

MLB had no choice on this one. The MLB safety manual is 101 pages. It would be impossible to manage those type of limitations for six minor league teams, who travel on commercial flights or packed into buses for 8-12 hours at a time, and in small clubhouses. There’s no way they could sanitize everything in Orem at the level they are trying to do it in Anaheim. Also, the cost of testing for those guys would be enormous. 

Finally, minor league teams can’t exist without fans. MLB can make money from TV. That doesn’t exist in the minors. 

There’s just no way it would have been possible to have minor league baseball this year. That was clear by mid April. 

Hi @Jeff Fletcher I was speaking to the idea that MLB players should probably not be playing either, not the other way around. Any pro sports play seems terribly risky, particularly if there are no hard isolation controls in place.

Also I am really against what feels like very arbitrary reductions in Minor League affiliates. This was already being considered prior to the COVID -19 outbreak. It has an air of ruthlessness to it.