• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cancel Culture

In this week's  errrr hour of Cancel Culture, Barstool Sports is the latest victim. 

How do you guys feel about the angry Karen's out there that want to cancel EVERYTHING under the sun that offended them, even though it was something that was said or produced in a time when it was offensive? 

I like what David Portnoy had to say about those attacking Barstool Sports.

Here's the item that he's referencing. https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2614403/cancel-culture-is-coming-for-barstool-but-not-so-fast-my-friend-we-have-the-receipts-per-usual

I had this conversation with my sister yesterday. I am an adult so I don’t get offended, and therefore I am generally dismissive of anyone who claims to be offended by something.

She described my views as ‘problematic’ and ‘dismissive’ of how some words or behaviors can be ‘hurtful’ or ‘triggering.’ I was sure to point out that anyone who’s humor or behavior was not funny or entertaining to me was someone who I didn’t follow, let alone troll their social media or YouTube clips looking for things I found excessively un-funny or un-entertaining.

the summer school class I'm taking right now assigned us a video to watch about forgiveness. it was very good in many ways.

as we were breaking it down in small group discussions, one of the things brought up was how in the world of social justice, there is no forgiveness for anything. it doesn't matter how long ago something was said or done, it doesn't matter if the offender apologized or made things right or paid his debt to society, it doesn't matter what the climate of the times was like - by today's standards, there simply is no forgiveness. I think that's exactly what we're seeing with the stuff about John Wayne airport right now, comments based on an interview in playboy in 1971 - 49 years ago. comedians are being shouted down on college campuses right and left, to the point where many of them simply stop taking concerts on college campuses because of it. a sense of humor about contemporary life is just not in the mix anymore.

there are times when something said or done needs to be dealt with. but there also needs to be forgiveness and some tolerance, which is something all the SJWs want/demand for their point of view. 

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

In this week's  errrr hour of Cancel Culture, Barstool Sports is the latest victim. 

How do you guys feel about the angry Karen's out there that want to cancel EVERYTHING under the sun that offended them, even though it was something that was said or produced in a time when it was offensive? 

Here's the item that he's referencing. https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2614403/cancel-culture-is-coming-for-barstool-but-not-so-fast-my-friend-we-have-the-receipts-per-usual

I'm Barstool neutral. Portnoy seems like a big of a jagoff, to me, but I haven't been motivated to listen much. My son likes Barstool, and my son's a sharp guy.

But more important Chuck, we got to get a better definition of Karen.

I thought Karen was calling the cops on a black guy for Living While Black. I thought Karen was the "I need to speak to your manager" woman when the sizzling fajitas order was wrong at Applebees. Seems like I'm the last month, Karen has become the Libtard Superwoman.

I think we need to tighten up the Karen definition.

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I'm Barstool neutral. Portnoy seems like a big of a jagoff, to me, but I haven't been motivated to listen much. My son likes Barstool, and my son's a sharp guy.

But more important Chuck, we got to get a better definition of Karen.

I thought Karen was calling the cops on a black guy for Living While Black. I thought Karen was the "I need to speak to your manager" woman when the sizzling fajitas order was wrong at Applebees. Seems like I'm the last month, Karen has become the Libtard Superwoman.

I think we need to tighten up the Karen definition.

The way I see Karen is everyone whining about everything nowadays. Not just to the manager but to social media, to the news and from the facking rooftops on a loud speaker..

Tired of it all to be honest.

Cancel Culture folks and the Karen's thereof can all swan high dive into an empty pool.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It is filtering through pretty much every area of culture right now, a kind of new McCarthyism.

As someone who is politically left, I dislike the fact that it is almost entirely coming from the left. It is a misapplication of Marxist political-economic ideas onto culture. Mob rules.

Some cons tried to ruin James Gunn's career over some tweets he made in the past because he is doesn't like Trump.

Yeah "Karen" has always been a term referring to a woman (or person) who is incredibly entitled and usually calling the cops on black people having a barbecue or literally just standing in their own yard. Chuck has totally appropriated that shit. 

Regardless, this is getting ridiculous. I thought SJW "culture" lost its steam a couple years ago but the George Floyd murder brought it back like Gandalf the Privileged. Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben...all that shit. It's just idiotic. 

The murder of George Floyd was meant to inspire people to protest racial injustice, not fucking pancake syrup. 

It's almost certainly 99.9% white people making these decisions, too.

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

This dude seems to revel in his own ignorance.  The video he posted he not only admits to not knowing or researching why Kaepernick was kneeling during the national anthem, and also apparently couldn't be be bothered to do 5 minutes of Google searches to find the answer, and yet he did a show on it. He also says at one point he thought Kaepernick was Arab. Should he have his show canceled? No, but is this really a dude worth defending? Just from watching that one video this guy is a bottom feeder. He spots crap he admittedly knows nothing about because he k own like minded people will give him web views.

I feel like I'm refreshingly cut off most of this. I only really get it on this site. Partly by geography but mostly because I ignore people whose opinions mean diddly poo to me. It's why I'm disturbed at how many Twitter videos get posted here. Who gives a flying fat rat's ass what these people have to say? If I like something I watch. If not I don't

10 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah "Karen" has always been a term referring to a woman (or person) who is incredibly entitled and usually calling the cops on black people having a barbecue or literally just standing in their own yard. Chuck has totally appropriated that shit. 

Regardless, this is getting ridiculous. I thought SJW "culture" lost its steam a couple years ago but the George Floyd murder brought it back like Gandalf the Privileged. Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben...all that shit. It's just idiotic. 

The murder of George Floyd was meant to inspire people to protest racial injustice, not fucking pancake syrup. 

It's almost certainly 99.9% white people making these decisions, too.

The black community, through various videos, is getting more and more pissed off by the far left "pandering" to them.  

10 hours ago, st1ckboy said:

This dude seems to revel in his own ignorance.  The video he posted he not only admits to not knowing or researching why Kaepernick was kneeling during the national anthem, and also apparently couldn't be be bothered to do 5 minutes of Google searches to find the answer, and yet he did a show on it. He also says at one point he thought Kaepernick was Arab. Should he have his show canceled? No, but is this really a dude worth defending? Just from watching that one video this guy is a bottom feeder. He spots crap he admittedly knows nothing about because he k own like minded people will give him web views.

This leads to what the point of this thread is.    Groups should not dictate shutting things down.   It should be low ratings doing that.   If this guy is getting too low ratings, that is what should dictate a cancel decision, and not one group being offended.   The Cancel Culture has even led to Jimi Hendrix' statue being defaced. 🤬  

2 minutes ago, Theo Huxtable said:

Cancel culture is ridiculous. Like AJ said, they'll go after anyone. But I wonder if 99% of the people spreading the #cancel[name] hashtag are just trolls who don't actually care about the issue.

I partly blame the nationwide shutdown from mid-March through May.   It's given the immature too much time on their hands. 

Plus, emotion driven decision making (as opposed to thought out) is usually not resulting in sound decision making. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

This leads to what the point of this thread is.    Groups should not dictate shutting things down.   It should be low ratings doing that.   If this guy is getting too low ratings, that is what should dictate a cancel decision, and not one group being offended.   The Cancel Culture has even led to Jimi Hendrix' statue being defaced. 🤬  

The whole damn band is white except for Jimi.