• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Opening Day Roster (30-Man) Projection

Hubs

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

AngelsWin, where less than 80 at bats defines Walsh, but Adams and his zero at bats gives him value.  Hell even Taylor Ward has 177 at bats over two seasons in his career, which is less than 1/3 of a season worth of at bats.  Ward would have much more value in a season like this than Adams.  It seems like the thought is Adams could pinch run in extra innings.  Ok, so we will have how many extra inning games?  3 or 4?  We have zero idea if Adams is a good base runner.  We just know he is fast.  Might as well bring back Bourjos and not waste a year of Adams control.  

Then bring back Bourjos he has speed, remember only for first 15 games then rosters go to 28. I just see zero value with Walsh or Ward, they will not play. Walsh will not pitch will have plenty of pitchers. 

Hermosillo is almost as fast as Adams.  Some of the choices for the rosters are based on wanting to continue development of their top prospects and make certain guys available for trade should it come to that.  

Frankly, I don't see teams spending any resources in trade to win a championship for a 60 game season though.  

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Then bring back Bourjos he has speed, remember only for first 15 games then rosters go to 28. I just see zero value with Walsh or Ward, they will not play. Walsh will not pitch will have plenty of pitchers. 

Who’s your starter in RF if Adell is not an option?  
Goodwin? He had three great and three bad months last year, Not exactly consistent. He Had three roughly league Average years and hit just 17 HR, nearly half of what he has hit in his entire career.

Walsh had 36 HR in AAA and 1 in the majors last season. He had 36 AAA HR in just 98 Games. 

Yes it was at Salt Lake, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him hit similar power in the majors. I could see him starting the majority or even just say 25 games between RF and 1B, this season.

34 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Goodwin? He had three great and three bad months last year, Not exactly consistent. He Had three roughly league Average years and hit just 17 HR, nearly half of what he has hit in his entire career.

Walsh had 36 HR in AAA and 1 in the majors last season. He had 36 AAA HR in just 98 Games. 

Yes it was at Salt Lake, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him hit similar power in the majors. I could see him starting the majority or even just say 25 games between RF and 1B, this season.

Fletcher in RF and La Stella or Rengifo at 2B.

4 hours ago, Hubs said:

I will bet you Detmers is not on the 30-man to start the season.

Walsh has 87 PA in the majors and you're gonna give up on him? He's a lefty. He hit .301/.375/.538 in five seasons in the minors. A .913 OPS. He had a 1.109 OPS in SLC last year.

Walsh could get the majority of starts in RF if he's hitting. He could also platoon with Pujols at 1st. And also be available to pitch on days he doesn't start. And provides serious power off the bench, as a lefty.

Goodwin could get 20, 8 in CF (4 when Trout is off, and 4 when Trout is DH), and 10 in LF (when Upton is off or is the DH). Though I figure Fletcher to get a lot of OF time.

Adell hasn't started his service clock, while Walsh has. Adding Walsh to the active roster doesn't mean you have to cut someone, but you would for Detmers or Adell (or Marsh) Adell most certainly will be the better player long term, but they may not want to start his service clock for a prorated season. Likewise for Adams or Marsh.

If your starters are Trout CF, Upton LF, Pujols 1B, Fletcher RF, LaStella 2B, Simmons SS, Rendon 3B, Castro C, and Ohtani DH, three are lefties, six are righties. Rengifo and Thaiss are your primary infield backups, and Goodwin is your primary OF backup. All of those guys are lefties or switch hitters. Stassi is a righty. That's 13.

I doubt they will carry 18 pitchers, meaning there is room for two of Hermosillo, Ward, or Walsh (or Adell, I guess).

Angels are lucky cuz Ohtani is a two way, so you can have 5 other starters, 9 men in the pen and still have 15 hitters. Two weeks in, dropping to 28 and it's likely you lose a hitter and pitcher, leaving you with 8 man pen and 14 hitters. At 26, you may have 13 pitchers and 12 hitters not including Ohtani (a 4 man bench), but I bet it's 13 hitters and 12 pitchers, meaning a 6 man rotation and a 7 man pen.

Keep Adell and Hermosillo need your best players in a 60 game sprint.

9 hours ago, Hubs said:

If Adell is not an option as he would be my first choice. David Fletcher will be in RF with maybe Goodwin 2 times a week. This is 60 game sprint you need your best players in field. Thaiss will platoon with Albert at 1B. Walsh is great defensive 1B but not in OF. It's a numbers game for Walsh and to me he will be odd man out this season.

12 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

God....this  Topic is really making me question a few of you guys and what goes in your heads...

You Guys want Adams on the main roster, when he's only had 40  at bats at A+, where he hit only 229. Not only this, you guys want to start the clock on a guy that easily at-least 2/3 years away from being ready. You waste 3 cheap years and a full year of develop for Adams. He's not going to get his at-bats, effecting his development.  Mind blowing the people are still about this. 

extra inning rule really doesn't help.

Adell and Marsh, are going to be the future, but i rather have them develop more instead of  starting the season on the 30 man roster. Maybe game 30 or 40, looking at where we are, call one of them up, unless injury happen and need to be called early.   Both need development, so allow them to develop.

Detmers= i said this on the other board, but i rather allow him to develop physically and develop his cutter and change. Than call him up, get shell shocked, lose that mentally, and needs to go down and instead of starting from point 3, he needs to restart everything. The highest competition he's faced are a bunch of college hitters, 0 and i mean 0 milb experiences. Get him developed in a control environment and look at next year as the year to call him up.

Plus there's a reason that guy don't get called the same year they are drafted. They aren't fully developed. 

Only reason I said Adams for pinch runner with new rule in extra inn games. Only 60 games maybe only 15 for players 29 and 30. With this virus who knows if we finish this season or have a 2021 season. With Adell he is a very special player and if you want best 9 in field I start him in RF over other options we have. Goodwin, Ward, Hermosillo, Walsh  I pick Adell. You want him to develop let him play.

13 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

God....this  Topic is really making me question a few of you guys and what goes in your heads...

You Guys want Adams on the main roster, when he's only had 40  at bats at A+, where he hit only 229. Not only this, you guys want to start the clock on a guy that easily at-least 2/3 years away from being ready. You waste 3 cheap years and a full year of develop for Adams. He's not going to get his at-bats, effecting his development.  Mind blowing the people are still about this. 

extra inning rule really doesn't help.

Adell and Marsh, are going to be the future, but i rather have them develop more instead of  starting the season on the 30 man roster. Maybe game 30 or 40, looking at where we are, call one of them up, unless injury happen and need to be called early.   Both need development, so allow them to develop.

Detmers= i said this on the other board, but i rather allow him to develop physically and develop his cutter and change. Than call him up, get shell shocked, lose that mentally, and needs to go down and instead of starting from point 3, he needs to restart everything. The highest competition he's faced are a bunch of college hitters, 0 and i mean 0 milb experiences. Get him developed in a control environment and look at next year as the year to call him up.

Plus there's a reason that guy don't get called the same year they are drafted. They aren't fully developed. 

Ok no on Adams but I start Adell in RF and Detmers could be in rotation next year.

Adams would possibly have to pinch run in extra inning games maybe twice. Lets start the clock 2-3 years early.

Detmers gets what, 10 starts at most? Straight from college to the majors. Do you know the last starter to do that? Jim Abbott. It's not gonna happen. He might be in the rotation by midseason next year, but also not possibly till 2022. There is no reason to rush him if Teheran, Heaney, Bundy, Ohtani, and Canning are healthy and producing. Let's not start his clock early either.

Adell, I can see having his clock start this season, so it's possible, if not likely he gets the opening day RF job. But he has only had 131 PA in 27 games at AAA, where he had a .355 SLG pct and a .321 OBP. Those aren't great numbers. Trout was called up from AA in 2011, and he managed a .220 Average with a .676 OPS in 40 games. The next season, he was an MVP candidate obviously. Relying on MLB Average numbers from Adell in his first taste of major league action is not a good move.

Marsh, like Adams will not make his debut in 2020.

Walsh gives you a lefty power bat, something you don't have in Goodwin, LaStella, or Thaiss who are all more doubles guys. LaStella had more HR last year than he has in his entire career. Walsh had more HR in 2019 than any two of those three guys.

Ward hasn't hit much in the majors over the past two years, but he also has less than 1/3 of a full season of AB's, and has continued to kill AAA pitching. 1.011 OPS last year.

Hermosillo hit to a lower average than Walsh, Ward, Thaiss, so he is not guaranteed an OF spot. He also hasn't hit a lot in the minors, so...

Rojas could also see some time.

Depth is good, a 30-man roster with 16 or 17 pitchers including Ohtani is likely. That still leaves at least 13, but likely 14 spots for the 8 position players, which means a 6-man bench, or at minnimum a 5-man bench.

I'm platooning Albert and one of the lefty first baseman, probably Thaiss, so he makes it. I'm platooning LaStella and Fletcher, as well. Fletcher will play a lot. Stassi is the backup Catcher.

That leaves three spots, and for me, they go to Ward, Walsh, and Rengifo.

10 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Adams would possibly have to pinch run in extra inning games maybe twice. Lets start the clock 2-3 years early.

Detmers gets what, 10 starts at most? Straight from college to the majors. Do you know the last starter to do that? Jim Abbott. It's not gonna happen. He might be in the rotation by midseason next year, but also not possibly till 2022. There is no reason to rush him if Teheran, Heaney, Bundy, Ohtani, and Canning are healthy and producing. Let's not start his clock early either.

Adell, I can see having his clock start this season, so it's possible, if not likely he gets the opening day RF job. But he has only had 131 PA in 27 games at AAA, where he had a .355 SLG pct and a .321 OBP. Those aren't great numbers. Trout was called up from AA in 2011, and he managed a .220 Average with a .676 OPS in 40 games. The next season, he was an MVP candidate obviously. Relying on MLB Average numbers from Adell in his first taste of major league action is not a good move.

Marsh, like Adams will not make his debut in 2020.

Walsh gives you a lefty power bat, something you don't have in Goodwin, LaStella, or Thaiss who are all more doubles guys. LaStella had more HR last year than he has in his entire career. Walsh had more HR in 2019 than any two of those three guys.

Ward hasn't hit much in the majors over the past two years, but he also has less than 1/3 of a full season of AB's, and has continued to kill AAA pitching. 1.011 OPS last year.

Hermosillo hit to a lower average than Walsh, Ward, Thaiss, so he is not guaranteed an OF spot. He also hasn't hit a lot in the minors, so...

Rojas could also see some time.

Depth is good, a 30-man roster with 16 or 17 pitchers including Ohtani is likely. That still leaves at least 13, but likely 14 spots for the 8 position players, which means a 6-man bench, or at minnimum a 5-man bench.

I'm platooning Albert and one of the lefty first baseman, probably Thaiss, so he makes it. I'm platooning LaStella and Fletcher, as well. Fletcher will play a lot. Stassi is the backup Catcher.

That leaves three spots, and for me, they go to Ward, Walsh, and Rengifo.

Mike Leake was the last player to jump straight to the majors from college as well. 

10 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

Mike Leake was the last player to jump straight to the majors from college as well. 

Yeah, It says he did, but he was drafted in 2009, and played in the Arizona Fall League that year, and then started the 2010 in the Reds rotation.

I think the AZ Fall league counts as minor league baseball.

Abbott also started the season after he was drafted. I cannot find a single instance in the last 40 years of a pitcher being drafted and playing that season without any minor league experience.

Bob Horner in 1978 was drafted in June and debuted ten days later, but he was an infielder, he never played in the minors.

Mike Morgan, in 1978 was drafted in June, and and debuted 5 days later. But he was from HIGH SCHOOL.  Tim Conroy also did it that year, and also for the A's. Also from High School. He made two starts, and then wasn't in the majors again until 5 seasons later (82).

Brian Milner, was a catcher from the Blue Jays, who also jumped from High School to the majors, also in 1978, and started two games. He was sent down, and never returned to MLB. His son is in Angels Camp in 2020.

David Clyde was a High School Pitcher who debuted for the Rangers with no minor league experience, and in the season he was drafted, 1973. He hurt his shoulder two seasons later and his career was over by age 26.

Dave Winfield started two weeks after the 1973 draft in the OF for the Padres, straight out of college. He never played in the Minors. He is a Hall of Famer.

Eddie Bane (yes, that Eddie Bane) was drafted 11th overall in 1973, went straight to the Twins a month after the draft. He spent the entire 1974 minor league season in AAA, then came back to the majors at the end of 1975. He Bounced between AAA and the Majors before becoming a scout in the early 1980's.

Dave Roberts (not that Dave Roberts) was the fastest, being drafted and then debuting for the Padres in 1972 less than 24 hours later. He had two good seasons and then faded.

Pete Broberg in 1971 went straight to the Washington Senators,  as the #1 overall pick, and pitched well, for three years, then went to the minors before being traded. He was finished at age 28.

Burt Hooton, pitched for the Cubs two weeks after the draft in 1971 after being the #2 pick. Was shaky, sent to the minors, and came back in September. Hooton might be the most successful pitcher on this list, pitching 15 seasons and winning the 1981 NLCS MVP with the Dodgers.

Rob Ellis was the 3rd pick in 1971, and he also went straight to the majors as a 3B for the Brewers. He played 36 games that year, and then played an additional 28 over the next 4 seasons. He never made it back to the majors.

Steve Dunning was selected 2nd in 1970, bypassed the minors and started for the Indians 10 days later, he did okay, but his career was over by age 28.

Mike Adamson was the first pick in the first round of the 1967 draft out of USC, and he was 19 when he made his debut a few weeks later. He went to AAA to finish the year. Began the next year in AAA, then was called up again, and his MLB career was over by age 21.

So bottom line is that it's best not to rush picks to the majors. Only four of these 12 guys have had successful careers, Winfield, Hooton, Hoerner, and Mike Morgan.

https://www.mlb.com/news/players-who-went-directly-from-the-draft-to-mlb

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Does anyone know if there will indeed be an AFL season this autumn?   Without that, every MLB franchise is screwed out of an entire year of development.

Does anyone know if there will indeed be an AFL season this autumn?   Without that, every MLB franchise is screwed out of an entire year of development.

Depends where this virus is going. Swine flu on the way next who knows if we have a 2021 season.

13 hours ago, happybat4 said:

You guys keep talking about development and the minors. There is no minors this year. This is their development. If they aren't playing they are literally sitting on the bench all year and only getting BP. 

Just cuz there isnt a minor league system, doesn't me these guys aren't going thru development. 

most of these guys will head over to the reserved Long beach stadium, where they'll get there work in. Batting cages, Bullpens, drills etc. 

they will also be playing innersquad games, which will help. 

18 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I played a fake pseudo season of MLB The Show. Jahmai Jones won AL ROY after I traded David Fletcher.  So, clearly, that's the answer. Also, Jason Castro hit 38 home runs in the regular season. He should bat 4th.

That sounds more like fantasy baseball Scott.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2020 at 2:12 PM, Hubs said:

Now that the Angels have released their 55 man (56 with Detmers) Player Pool, here's a shot at predicting the Opening Day Roster (30-man).

I know there will likely be call ups in that time frame as well, so I'll identify the last six spots, then I'll identify the last four and two spots who I think will be bumped when the rosters reduce from 30 down to 28, then 26.

OF (5)

Mike Trout, CF

Justin Upton, LF

Brian Goodwin, RF

Michael Hermosillio, OF (27th man)

Taylor Ward, OF (30th man)

INF (8)

Albert Pujols, 1B/DH

Tommy LaStella, 2B

Andrelton Simmons, SS

Anthony Rendon, 3B

Matt Thaiss, 1B

David Fletcher, UTL (2B/SS/3B/OF)

Luis Rengifo, MIF (SS/2B) (25th man)

Jared Walsh UTL (1B/RF/RP) (26th man)

C (2)

Jason Castro, C

Max Stassi, C

DH (1)

Shohei Ohtani, DH/SP1

SP (5)

Andrew Heaney, SP2

Dylan Bundy, SP3

Griffin Canning, SP4

Julio Teheran, SP5

Patrick Sandoval, SP6

RP (9)

Hansel Robles, CL

Ty Buttrey, RHRP

Cam Bedrosian, RHRP

Keynan Middleton, RHRP

Matt Andriese, RHRP/SP

Noe Ramirez, RHRP

Felix Pena, RHRP/SP

Justin Anderson, RHRP or Taylor Cole, RHRP (29th man)

Ryan Buchter, LHRP

Mike Mayers

Jacob Barnes

Hoby Milner

I think the bullpen is a bit fluid obviously, and that the OF of Hermosillo and Ward could easily swap order in the depth chart. They could also carry ten relievers and just one OF.

The Three man Taxi Squad is likely Anthony Bemboom or Jose Briceño plus the alternate relievers.

I got 27 of 30 right, with Justin Anderson going down to TJ, Teheran and Rengifo opening on the DL, they moved Andriese to the starter role, and replaced him with Mayers, replaced Teheran with Barnes, and kept an extra reliever over an extra infielder.

Makes sense to me.