• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Opening Day Roster (30-Man) Projection

Hubs

Now that the Angels have released their 55 man (56 with Detmers) Player Pool, here's a shot at predicting the Opening Day Roster (30-man).

I know there will likely be call ups in that time frame as well, so I'll identify the last six spots, then I'll identify the last four and two spots who I think will be bumped when the rosters reduce from 30 down to 28, then 26.

OF (4)

Mike Trout, CF

Justin Upton, LF

Brian Goodwin, RF

Michael Hermosillio, OF (27th man)

Taylor Ward, OF (30th man)

INF (8)

Albert Pujols, 1B/DH

Tommy LaStella, 2B

Andrelton Simmons, SS

Anthony Rendon, 3B

Matt Thaiss, 1B

David Fletcher, UTL (2B/SS/3B/OF)

Luis Rengifo, MIF (SS/2B) (25th man)

Jared Walsh UTL (1B/RF/RP) (26th man)

C (2)

Jason Castro, C

Max Stassi, C

DH (1)

Shohei Ohtani, DH/SP1

SP (5)

Andrew Heaney, SP2

Dylan Bundy, SP3

Griffin Canning, SP4

Julio Teheran, SP5

Patrick Sandoval, SP6

RP (9)

Hansel Robles, CL

Ty Buttrey, RHRP

Cam Bedrosian, RHRP

Keynan Middleton, RHRP

Matt Andriese, RHRP/SP

Noe Ramirez, RHRP

Felix Pena, RHRP/SP

Justin Anderson, RHRP or Taylor Cole, RHRP (29th man)

Ryan Buchter, LHRP or Jose Quijada LHRP (28th man)

I think the bullpen is a bit fluid obviously, and that the OF of Hermosillo and Ward could easily swap order in the depth chart. They could also carry ten relievers and just one OF.

The Three man Taxi Squad is likely Anthony Bemboom or Jose Briceño plus the alternate relievers.

Taylor Ward has only shown that he is an out machine at the major league level.

Jared Walsh has also shown to be an out machine at the plate but also shown to be a hit machine on the mound.

This is where the Angels need to improve...dramatically. Having Albert that high on the depth chart is a real problem...

Looks pretty good, @Hubs

I would guess that the Angels opt to go for a deeper pen than have Taylor Ward up there. With Thaiss, Pujols, and Walsh, I just don't see Ward getting much playing time, unless he starts catching again.

Also, Jaime Barria has to figure in somewhere. I forgot about him in my starting depth chart in another thread, but he's got some utility and deserves another shot.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Taylor Ward has only shown that he is an out machine at the major league level.

Jared Walsh has also shown to be an out machine at the plate but also shown to be a hit machine on the mound.

This is where the Angels need to improve...dramatically. Having Albert that high on the depth chart is a real problemh...

Does it really matter if he is #8 or #26?  As long as he is healthy,  he will be on the active roster.

Edited by Slegnaac

51 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Adams could be an interesting option for a 5th outfielder/pinch-runner. Marsh and Adell, too, although they're not as fast. I really hope we see both this year.

This is not a marathon it's going to be a 60 game sprint have players who can contribute. Ward and Walsh will not play have no value off bench. Give me Adell

43 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I feel Walsh does not make and as a surprise Reid Detmers makes 30 man team. I would also have Adell or even Adams on team. With new rule of starting man at second base would want fastest runner you have. Ward and Walsh add little if any value.

The man at 2nd in extra innings is the last guy to bat in the 9th. So they'd have to pinch run for him, and even if 1/3 times it was someone who might have significant speed increase (Castro/Stassi, Pujols/Thaiss, Upton would be candidates, Trout, Ohtani, Goodwin, Fletcher, LaStella, Simmons, and Rendon are plenty fast or you wouldn't want to take their bat out of the lineup).

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

I feel Walsh does not make and as a surprise Reid Detmers makes 30 man team. I would also have Adell or even Adams on team. With new rule of starting man at second base would want fastest runner you have. Ward and Walsh add little if any value.

I will bet you Detmers is not on the 30-man to start the season.

Walsh has 87 PA in the majors and you're gonna give up on him? He's a lefty. He hit .301/.375/.538 in five seasons in the minors. A .913 OPS. He had a 1.109 OPS in SLC last year.

Walsh could get the majority of starts in RF if he's hitting. He could also platoon with Pujols at 1st. And also be available to pitch on days he doesn't start. And provides serious power off the bench, as a lefty.

Goodwin could get 20, 8 in CF (4 when Trout is off, and 4 when Trout is DH), and 10 in LF (when Upton is off or is the DH). Though I figure Fletcher to get a lot of OF time.

Adell hasn't started his service clock, while Walsh has. Adding Walsh to the active roster doesn't mean you have to cut someone, but you would for Detmers or Adell (or Marsh) Adell most certainly will be the better player long term, but they may not want to start his service clock for a prorated season. Likewise for Adams or Marsh.

If your starters are Trout CF, Upton LF, Pujols 1B, Fletcher RF, LaStella 2B, Simmons SS, Rendon 3B, Castro C, and Ohtani DH, three are lefties, six are righties. Rengifo and Thaiss are your primary infield backups, and Goodwin is your primary OF backup. All of those guys are lefties or switch hitters. Stassi is a righty. That's 13.

I doubt they will carry 18 pitchers, meaning there is room for two of Hermosillo, Ward, or Walsh (or Adell, I guess).

Angels are lucky cuz Ohtani is a two way, so you can have 5 other starters, 9 men in the pen and still have 15 hitters. Two weeks in, dropping to 28 and it's likely you lose a hitter and pitcher, leaving you with 8 man pen and 14 hitters. At 26, you may have 13 pitchers and 12 hitters not including Ohtani (a 4 man bench), but I bet it's 13 hitters and 12 pitchers, meaning a 6 man rotation and a 7 man pen.

1 hour ago, Slegnaac said:

Does it really matter if he is #8 or #26?  As long as he is healthy,  he will be on the active roster.

Yes, it does matter.  If Albert is in a role not requiring him to be a primary contributor, that means the Angels have a better player at 1B.  A better player at 1B means more run production and a deeper lineup.

That would be very Trouty,....

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Looks pretty good, @Hubs

I would guess that the Angels opt to go for a deeper pen than have Taylor Ward up there. With Thaiss, Pujols, and Walsh, I just don't see Ward getting much playing time, unless he starts catching again.

Also, Jaime Barria has to figure in somewhere. I forgot about him in my starting depth chart in another thread, but he's got some utility and deserves another shot.

Ward is primarily an OF, Walsh is primarily a 1B/OF. Ward is a righty. Hermosillo is also a righty. Goodwin is a lefty. Depends on how they want to configure that spot for 2020.

I think Barria is a candidate for the 3 man taxi squad, but I think unless there is an injury to a starter he starts the year at Long Beach.

38 minutes ago, Hubs said:

The man at 2nd in extra innings is the last guy to bat in the 9th. So they'd have to pinch run for him, and even if 1/3 times it was someone who might have significant speed increase (Castro/Stassi, Pujols/Thaiss, Upton would be candidates, Trout, Ohtani, Goodwin, Fletcher, LaStella, Simmons, and Rendon are plenty fast or you wouldn't want to take their bat out of the lineup).

Bottom of tenth gamed tied you want speed. What does every team going into playoffs add is a pinch runner. Walsh and Ward will not play give me a guy who has speed and can make a difference. 60 game sprint and I pinch run for LaStella. Player 29 and 30 only there for 15 games to Ward and Walsh would be useless.

AngelsWin, where less than 80 at bats defines Walsh, but Adams and his zero at bats gives him value.  Hell even Taylor Ward has 177 at bats over two seasons in his career, which is less than 1/3 of a season worth of at bats.  Ward would have much more value in a season like this than Adams.  It seems like the thought is Adams could pinch run in extra innings.  Ok, so we will have how many extra inning games?  3 or 4?  We have zero idea if Adams is a good base runner.  We just know he is fast.  Might as well bring back Bourjos and not waste a year of Adams control.  

Walsh pitched only in mop up games give me Detmers he could help. 

Detmers is a starter and he won’t work out of the pen. His stuff Isn’t overpowering and it won’t translate to the pen, especially with no major or minor league experience. 

Walsh gives you a Lefty power bat and an emergency arm. 

Bottom of tenth gamed tied you want speed. What does every team going into playoffs add is a pinch runner. Walsh and Ward will not play give me a guy who has speed and can make a difference. 60 game sprint and I pinch run for LaStella. Player 29 and 30 only there for 15 games to Ward and Walsh would be useless.

Or you want a guy who can hit a double in the gap. Legit I only see three of our regulars being pinch run for in that uncommon situation.

Just to be clear in a regular season, maybe you have 20 extra inning games. That would be among the league leaders. In the shortened season that translates to 7 or 8. Giving the 9 guys equal opportunities to be the guy on 2nd you have maybe 2 times you’d need a pinch runner. Luis Rengifo, Brian Goodwin, etc. all could be a pinch runner. 

Starting Adams clock 2-3 years early is extraordinarily dumb. He’s in the 60 so he can play and not lose a development year. Same for Marsh. Adell has an outside chance but I don’t even think that’s likely. 

God....this  Topic is really making me question a few of you guys and what goes in your heads...

You Guys want Adams on the main roster, when he's only had 40  at bats at A+, where he hit only 229. Not only this, you guys want to start the clock on a guy that easily at-least 2/3 years away from being ready. You waste 3 cheap years and a full year of develop for Adams. He's not going to get his at-bats, effecting his development.  Mind blowing the people are still about this. 

extra inning rule really doesn't help.

Adell and Marsh, are going to be the future, but i rather have them develop more instead of  starting the season on the 30 man roster. Maybe game 30 or 40, looking at where we are, call one of them up, unless injury happen and need to be called early.   Both need development, so allow them to develop.

Detmers= i said this on the other board, but i rather allow him to develop physically and develop his cutter and change. Than call him up, get shell shocked, lose that mentally, and needs to go down and instead of starting from point 3, he needs to restart everything. The highest competition he's faced are a bunch of college hitters, 0 and i mean 0 milb experiences. Get him developed in a control environment and look at next year as the year to call him up.

Plus there's a reason that guy don't get called the same year they are drafted. They aren't fully developed.