• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How many MLB players will opt out for 2020

On 7/1/2020 at 12:14 PM, Mark PT said:

I agree with almost everything you said but my point was that there is still no place to play. You make a good point that most baseball is played in academies/private facilities and that does exclude anyone that is not well to do. I am not denying those facts but baseball has an even bigger problem because alot of Americans are being excluded from play. The Point you make in 2 is not lazy but a fact, that AA culture does not like baseball. Although, this is not exclusively the sole problem, it does contribute. If a kid loves baseball, there are ways to play (this is probably alot harder for an AA kid but not impossible). I agree that baseball should reach out more, no doubt. As we are missing alot of possible good talent and this lessens the quality of the game.

1. I think that it is an explanation in search of a reason. It's like when people point to Hollywood and point out the lack of African American representation too. Just saying, acting/writing/producing isn't part of AA culture doesn't really address the issue of why that is. There are plenty of African Americans who would love those jobs if given the chance (maybe this is development at an early age). Why aren't there more women in Congress? It's not part of female culture.

2. I think it ignores the history of AA participation in baseball. Maybe now it's not a part of the culture. But at some points, not that far removed, it was the number one sport for African Americans, just like it was for the rest of America. There is a reason, or reasons, for that decline. And reasons why more efforts haven't been made to reverse that. 

I don't see any reason why baseball couldn't be popular and have remained popular in the black communities if some effort had been made and if more effort is made in the future. I just think saying it isn't popular without examining the reasons, especially when it used to be popular, is giving MLB a pass. 

On 7/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, Mark PT said:

I get what you are saying but my point was that there is literally nowhere to play for anybody. If someone purchases land for baseball development it would still probably be exclusive to that person or their baseball academy/league etc... The average kid would still be shut out (regardless of race). This is a baseball problem that now extends beyond the inequity that you mention. As far as equipment, you are right but kids need to be educated on how to procure free equipment. Such as writing letters to foundations or even MLB for help. I would bet they could get equipment this way (this is not to deny it is harder for AA kids to get than others).  

Hi Mark, the way you phrased the question, I responded to, made it seem like you didn't understand that there was a financial disparity that you didn't grasp. Yes I agree that they have no where to play, which is primarily due to the financial disparity in minority neighborhoods versus white ones. It is the same reason you don't see a lot of minority golfers because the equipment costs and ability to find a golf course, much less one you can afford to join, is few and far between, just like baseball fields and equipment.

In fact you can take it one step further with your own observation that minority kids need to send letters to MLB foundations to procure free equipment whereas many white kids parents purchase it for them because their parents have better-paying jobs and the discretionary wealth to pay for it. Minorities have to jump through more hoops to get the same equality that white kids enjoy (many unknowingly enjoy because they don't face the same barriers minority children do. Not their fault but the "playing field" needs to be more equal).

Many white children start at an entirely different baseline in life and are able to enjoy and access a lot more of life's liberties than minority kids, who generally start at a lower baseline and face more discrimination, bias, suspicion, and barriers on a daily basis in their lives than white people ever see or experience. Case-in-point: I was speaking with a black co-worker (She is a quality engineering manager for the company I work at) a few weeks ago and she told me that every time she goes into her local neighborhood market, the store clerks literally watch her everywhere she goes. This is just a small example of the daily bias and suspicion minorities face, where they are viewed as "suspicious", "violent", or less than human. If George Floyd had been white, that officer would almost certainly not have been sitting on his neck and in fact would probably, at worst, had him in handcuffs standing by the police cruiser or sitting comfortably in the backseat of the same vehicle.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

1. I think that it is an explanation in search of a reason. It's like when people point to Hollywood and point out the lack of African American representation too. Just saying, acting/writing/producing isn't part of AA culture doesn't really address the issue of why that is. There are plenty of African Americans who would love those jobs if given the chance (maybe this is development at an early age). Why aren't there more women in Congress? It's not part of female culture.

2. I think it ignores the history of AA participation in baseball. Maybe now it's not a part of the culture. But at some points, not that far removed, it was the number one sport for African Americans, just like it was for the rest of America. There is a reason, or reasons, for that decline. And reasons why more efforts haven't been made to reverse that. 

I don't see any reason why baseball couldn't be popular and have remained popular in the black communities if some effort had been made and if more effort is made in the future. I just think saying it isn't popular without examining the reasons, especially when it used to be popular, is giving MLB a pass. 

Either way baseball would benefit for such an investment and I can agree with you.

2 hours ago, ettin said:

Hi Mark, the way you phrased the question, I responded to, made it seem like you didn't understand that there was a financial disparity that you didn't grasp. Yes I agree that they have no where to play, which is primarily due to the financial disparity in minority neighborhoods versus white ones. It is the same reason you don't see a lot of minority golfers because the equipment costs and ability to find a golf course, much less one you can afford to join, is few and far between, just like baseball fields and equipment.

In fact you can take it one step further with your own observation that minority kids need to send letters to MLB foundations to procure free equipment whereas many white kids parents purchase it for them because their parents have better-paying jobs and the discretionary wealth to pay for it. Minorities have to jump through more hoops to get the same equality that white kids enjoy (many unknowingly enjoy because they don't face the same barriers minority children do. Not their fault but the "playing field" needs to be more equal).

Many white children start at an entirely different baseline in life and are able to enjoy and access a lot more of life's liberties than minority kids, who generally start at a lower baseline and face more discrimination, bias, suspicion, and barriers on a daily basis in their lives than white people ever see or experience. Case-in-point: I was speaking with a black co-worker (She is a quality engineering manager for the company I work at) a few weeks ago and she told me that every time she goes into her local neighborhood market, the store clerks literally watch her everywhere she goes. This is just a small example of the daily bias and suspicion minorities face, where they are viewed as "suspicious", "violent", or less than human. If George Floyd had been white, that officer would almost certainly not have been sitting on his neck and in fact would probably, at worst, had him in handcuffs standing by the police cruiser or sitting comfortably in the backseat of the same vehicle.

I think you miss my point as well. I acknowledge the bias you point out. I am speaking from a solutions' perspective and pointing out that baseball's problems are deeper than just in minority communities (maybe I am viewing the problem in a more global view, I dont know). Yes everyone has bias and AAs suffer from more in many circumstances, that I am not denying. BUt baseball has not done a good job on any front, in any community to promote the sport. IN regards to another matter pointed out, I dont know if you can grow the sport in inner cities to the same extent than in other communities just due to space. Can fields be built? I dont know. If they can, then by all means they should . Baseball is missing a hell of a lot of good potential players by leaving these communities out. 

I always see people tout the high Hispanic rate in baseball, but I think that's mainly foreign players. I don't think there are many US born Hispanic players out there (in any sport). I think baseball is just flat out failing in low income areas. A lot of it is accessiblity, the specialization of the sport has killed its growth. Year round play, travel teams, coaches, batting cages, "nice fields". 

It's no longer enough to throw 4 makeshift bases in a grass field and play with your friends and everyone shares a couple bat's. 

1 hour ago, happybat4 said:

I always see people tout the high Hispanic rate in baseball, but I think that's mainly foreign players. I don't think there are many US born Hispanic players out there (in any sport). I think baseball is just flat out failing in low income areas. A lot of it is accessiblity, the specialization of the sport has killed its growth. Year round play, travel teams, coaches, batting cages, "nice fields". 

It's no longer enough to throw 4 makeshift bases in a grass field and play with your friends and everyone shares a couple bat's. 

But it only takes a ball and 4 trash cans to play soccer and it’s the world’s most popular sport. 

Just saw Kiid 27  talking on the news up here in NorCal.  I agree, he is on his way to opting out.  He'll use protecting his family and soon-to-be newborn as his reason.  Frankly, he's just not a "I eat nails" clubhouse leader.  He's always conceded alpha-maleship to Pujols, and Albert is 9 years removed from being the alpha male.  

Don't blame Trump for this Covid-19 thing.  Honest scientists admit we have another two years to deal with it.  We can't just stop the world and lock down for that long.  The just over one percent infected rate in MLB is frightening because we have to get to 70% before there is herd immunity.  A vaccine before this happens would be a modern day miracle.  

Soooo, Kiid 27, I say this to you......"The only way around this thing is right through it!!!"  I'm 65 years old and I'm going to work on Monday!!!