• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels announce 55 players scheduled to report to 2020 Summer Camp (As part of 60-Man Player Pool)

Hubs

So the roster for this year is the 40-Man plus a 20-man Taxi squad.

The Taxi Squad is non-roster players, so...here's my best guess at the taxi squad.

Jo Adell

Brandon Marsh

Brennan Lund

Jose Rojas

Jose Briceno

Elliot Soto

Arismeny Alcantara

Francisco Arcia

Joe Gatto

Taylor Cole

JC Ramirez

Matt Ball

Jake Thompson

Jose Rodriguez

Neil Ramirez

Parker Markel

Michael Kohn

Holby Milner

Adrian De Horta

Jacob Barnes

Reid Detmers?

Torii Hunter Jr.?

Jordyn Adams?

Jack Kruger?

They could also add major league free agents as a non-roster invite, hitters like Kaleb Cowart, Martin Prado, Scooter Gennett, Russell Martin, Steve Pearce, Lucas Duda, Mark Reynolds, Brian Dozier, Ben Zobrist (Retired), Tim Beckham, Peter Bourjos, Carlos Gonzales, Carlos Gomez, Austin Jackson, Yasiel Puig, Melky Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, Mark Trumbo. Or Pitchers like: Andrew Cashner, Jason Vargas, Clay Buchholz, Marco Estrada, Clayton Richard, Matt Harvey (lol), Ervin Santana, Sam Dyson, Colin McHugh, Tony Sipp, Zack Duke, Tony Cingriani, Josh Fields, or Addison Reed.

I've heard the term taxi squad refer to a few different things.  I thought that it was three players that traveled with the team... but since I've heard its everyone not on the a five 30/28/26 man roster.... or everyone not on the 40 man roster.

I blame the politicians. All of em since jokes with some of their names dont seem to fly

31 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I've heard the term taxi squad refer to a few different things.  I thought that it was three players that traveled with the team... but since I've heard its everyone not on the a five 30/28/26 man roster.... or everyone not on the 40 man roster.

I blame the politicians. All of em since jokes with some of their names dont seem to fly

It’s true that it’s everyone not on the active roster is on the taxi squad, but at least 20 names will not be from the 40 man. The transaction freeze lifts tomorrow at 9 am PST. I’d bet we’d see a few New non roster invitees to ST.

One thing that could be both absurd and entertaining about this year is that once we get, say, to 40 games and it is clear that some teams are out of it, we might see some crazy call-ups, just to get not-nearly-ready prospects some in-game play.

Or are teams still allowed to have some kind of minor league camp? I hate the idea of Jordyn Adams or Jeremiah Jackson losing a full year of development.

What's going to be weird is that the 'season' will be over just around the time you normally get deep into analysis and evaluation. 

Usually after a couple of months of watching rookies and new players you can judge their positives and negatives and get a fair idea about how they fit the team. Also the player chemistry, how the rotation looks, batting order, and so on. 

But it then suddenly comes to an end just as the heart of the season normally intensifies. So these 60 games are basically a sneak preview of  what 2021 could look like with the same pieces in place. 

And it could be tough not drawing premature conclusions during this short season. If Adell for instance has a rough couple of months getting adjusted it could dampen expectations for 2021 even though the sample size is small. And the same thing for guys having hot starts. Expectations may be overly optimistic. 

Ultimately the 60 games should be about establishing a winning culture and letting Madden learn how to tweak this roster under game conditions. In that sense, there could be some real momentum built up for 2021. Especially if the team is in any sort of quasi pennant race with pressure games.

I took all the names off the angels non roster invite list from spring training. Some of them could have been released by now, though there has been a transaction freeze.

15 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

No he can still sign after Sunday but to put him on 60 man halos would have to release someone.

Or have an open slot, I think...I don’t think you have to use all 60 slots....might be worthwhile to only use 55 or so and save some space for adding later....

A few things...

-The “taxi squad” technically refers to the three guys who go on road trips without being on the roster. They are there essentially so you have a fill in handy and don’t need to put someone on a commercial flight at the last minute. 

-The Alternate Training Site squad (or whatever better name we come up for them) consists of everyone in the 60-player pool who is inactive. 

-You don’t need to put everyone on the 40-man roster in your 60-player pool. 

-You can add to the 60-player pool at any time but if you remove someone, they have to be traded/released/DFA’d.

-You obviously still need to add someone to the 40-man roster for him to be in the majors. Jo Adell, for example, needs to be added and he would take someone else’s spot.

-You can’t trade anyone who is not part of the 60-player pool. This could be really interesting because teams may put guys on the 60 who they have no plans to use in 2020, but could want to trade. 

46 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

A few things...

-The “taxi squad” technically refers to the three guys who go on road trips without being on the roster. They are there essentially so you have a fill in handy and don’t need to put someone on a commercial flight at the last minute. 

-The Alternate Training Site squad (or whatever better name we come up for them) consists of everyone in the 60-player pool who is inactive. 

-You don’t need to put everyone on the 40-man roster in your 60-player pool. 

-You can add to the 60-player pool at any time but if you remove someone, they have to be traded/released/DFA’d.

-You obviously still need to add someone to the 40-man roster for him to be in the majors. Jo Adell, for example, needs to be added and he would take someone else’s spot.

-You can’t trade anyone who is not part of the 60-player pool. This could be really interesting because teams may put guys on the 60 who they have no plans to use in 2020, but could want to trade. 

I've read some ideas that teams will not have a full 60 player pool to start off with so they have room to add players without having to release anyone and subjecting them to waivers. It would also let you basically trade anyone because you could add someone to the 60 man at any time.

Any idea if teams are planning on doing this? I suppose we'll find out tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Drink More Yakult said:

I've read some ideas that teams will not have a full 60 player pool to start off with so they have room to add players without having to release anyone and subjecting them to waivers. It would also let you basically trade anyone because you could add someone to the 60 man at any time.

Any idea if teams are planning on doing this? I suppose we'll find out tomorrow. 

I would expect a lot of teams to leave empty spots initially. 

24 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I would expect a lot of teams to leave empty spots initially. 

@Jeff Fletcher is it safe to say that the players added to this ‘60-man’ will be public? I’m sure some teams will have theirs leaked or stated, but curious if it’s something they can keep private. 

On 6/25/2020 at 5:23 PM, Hubs said:

So the roster for this year is the 40-Man plus a 20-man Taxi squad.

The Taxi Squad is non-roster players, so...here's my best guess at the taxi squad.

Jo Adell

Brandon Marsh

Brennan Lund

Jose Rojas

Jose Briceno

Elliot Soto

Arismeny Alcantara

Francisco Arcia

Joe Gatto

Taylor Cole

JC Ramirez

Matt Ball

Jake Thompson

Jose Rodriguez

Neil Ramirez

Parker Markel

Michael Kohn

Holby Milner

Adrian De Horta

Jacob Barnes

Reid Detmers?

Torii Hunter Jr.?

Jordyn Adams?

Jack Kruger?

They could also add major league free agents as a non-roster invite, hitters like Kaleb Cowart, Martin Prado, Scooter Gennett, Russell Martin, Steve Pearce, Lucas Duda, Mark Reynolds, Brian Dozier, Ben Zobrist (Retired), Tim Beckham, Peter Bourjos, Carlos Gonzales, Carlos Gomez, Austin Jackson, Yasiel Puig, Melky Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, Mark Trumbo. Or Pitchers like: Andrew Cashner, Jason Vargas, Clay Buchholz, Marco Estrada, Clayton Richard, Matt Harvey (lol), Ervin Santana, Sam Dyson, Colin McHugh, Tony Sipp, Zack Duke, Tony Cingriani, Josh Fields, or Addison Reed.

Jordyn Adams on 60 man squad