• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Running COVID-19 and Major League Baseball thread

I don't know if any of you guys listen to "Effectively Wild," the Fangraphs podcast, but they had a particularly good episode last week where they discussed a.) ethically/morally, whether baseball should happen, and the conflicted feelings we're all having, given everything else going on in society right now... and b.) whether baseball, practically, can happen, given just how contagious COVID is.  They had an interview with an epidemiologist that was the best discussion of the agreed-upon health and safety protocols I've heard.  It made me, at least, very pessimistic about whether they'll be able to pull this off.  Interview starts at 45:20.  Recommended listening: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/effectively-wild-episode-1555-baseball-ambivalence/

I think it's likely members of teams get sick, but the real question will be if the clubs can prevent an outbreak in a clubhouse. If one or two guys per roster get sick it's not a big deal, but what do they do when 6+ get sick? They will need a contingency...

Perhaps this is where the 60 man rosters will come in. Half of those guys don't travel with the team or interact all that often, maybe they can sub in for a few days in the event of an outbreak.

3 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

I don't know if any of you guys listen to "Effectively Wild," the Fangraphs podcast, but they had a particularly good episode last week where they discussed a.) ethically/morally, whether baseball should happen, and the conflicted feelings we're all having, given everything else going on in society right now... and b.) whether baseball, practically, can happen, given just how contagious COVID is.  They had an interview with an epidemiologist that was the best discussion of the agreed-upon health and safety protocols I've heard.  It made me, at least, very pessimistic about whether they'll be able to pull this off.  Interview starts at 45:20.  Recommended listening: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/effectively-wild-episode-1555-baseball-ambivalence/

Dunno - but I just saw the National Wom'en's Soccer League play the first game of a tournament today - so I guess they have to answer the same question.

As does, in fact, any non-critical activity which has the risk of exposure - whether it's working at a restaurant or playing professional sports - they have to answer the same question.

I was tested the other day - and while I was grateful that I was negative, this is the text that came with:

CDC expects that widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States will occur in most regions of the United States, and most likely has already occurred in the DMV region.  In the coming months, most of the U.S. population will be exposed to this virus. You should continue to practice all the protective measures recommended to keep yourself and others free from illness.

Yay.

Uh, anyway,  I'm listening to the podcast, and he just made an illogical leap - he said that if the positive test rate was, say, > 10% in a particular area, it means that there aren't enough tests in that area.

What it *means* is that they're not testing *enough* in that area - that's not the same thing, at all.  We had that issue here - the positivity rate in my zip code was nearing 40% - which is horrifying - but it wasn't because there was a lack of tests or lab testing capacity, (at least not in the last month or so) but because our DOH wouldn't change the standards for testing (they still technically haven't - people "need" a referral -  but there are now drug stores and urgent care centers that just let you self-certify that you need a test, and they refer you.   The state government failed on this score, calamitously.)  

As for "ethics", his argument is that players will consume tests, because they're engaging in non-essential activity - those tests they used could could have been used for other people (most of whom are *also* engaged in non-essential activities.)    Get that?  Unless you're a first responder, taking a test is unethical.  

It's his (implied) supposition at this point that they'll be creating a shortage.  

Further, both he and the host (Ben)  implied they'd gone to drive-thru facilities to get tests for themselves (multiple times, I infer) - so, what "essential activity" were they engaged in that required them to get those tests?  Weren't they also ethically wrong?

I think his supposition here is a bit academic and weak.

I am not saying any league should play. however planning to play with a 0 tolerance policy isn't realistic. Big picture a lot of these athletes from HS-Pros are better off playing with covid vs missing out on a scholarship or pro opportunity. Sports provide an exit from the ghetto for the majority of the players. Another year in the ghetto with online education is not in the best interest for most kids. MLB should probably sit it out. The money isn't great this year and there will be extreme pressure to kiss the black ass. Let the NBA and NFL do the ass kissing. MLB has a different fan demographic that I doubt will support the over the top persecution of whitey. May be best for teams and owners to agree to play for cosmetics and then shut it down for health reasons. 

8 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I wonder what the odds are on the completion of the short MLB season.  And the over under on the number of games before the season is cancelled.

I think they will be looking for a way out. It isn’t all that profitable this year. Baseball will also have to deal with the racism virus and try to out woke basketball and football. If I am an owner I cancel for virus concerns and avoid pandering to the blacks. 

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I wonder what the odds are on the completion of the short MLB season.  And the over under on the number of games before the season is cancelled.

Honestly, I no longer care. Watching the Angels has been very frustrating in recent times so I’m less stressed not watching them