Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

IGNORED

OC Register: MLB players reject latest proposal from ownership


Recommended Posts

Play … ball?

The acrimony that has characterized the back-and-forth between Major League Baseball’s owners and its players’ union over a plan to play the 2020 season amid the coronavirus pandemic seemed to near its dysfunctional endgame Monday afternoon. After a social media campaign behind the slogan “When and Where,” the players union rejected ownership’s latest attempt to answer those questions, reportedly with a resounding 33-5 vote (the eight-member executive council plus a representative from each team).

The rejected proposal — reportedly arrived at in a face-to-face meeting between MLB commissioner Rob Manfred and MLBPA executive director Tony Clark — called for a 60-game season, gave players the full pro-rated salaries they assured themselves in a March agreement and added other qualifications like an expanded postseason field and a universal DH.

The expectation now is that Manfred will exercise his right in the March agreement to mandate a season plan. That plan would likely be very similar to the rejected offer but could not include an expanded postseason field or a universal DH (both of which have to be collectively bargained). Had they agreed to the proposal, the MLBPA would have forfeited its right to file a grievance. That grievance (potentially worth $1 billion to players) would accuse the owners of failing to negotiate in good faith for a season as long as possible.

“Earlier this evening, the full board reaffirmed the players’ eagerness to return to work as soon and as safely as possible,” the union said in a statement released Monday afternoon. “To that end we anticipate finalizing a comprehensive set of health and safety protocols with Major League Baseball in the coming days, and we await word from the league on the resumption of spring training camps and a proposed 2020 schedule.

“While we had hoped to reach a revised back to work agreement with the league, the players remain fully committed to proceeding under our current agreement and getting back on the field for the fans, for the game, and for each other.”

This story will be updated.

View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

See you in 2023! 

This year is shot.

Next year, 2nd wave of COVID and another shutdown

2022, players' strike.

Three prime years of Trout gone. AND Rendon. We're not permitted to have nice things.

Pardon my pessimism, but I've just about had it.

Stay well, everyone...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What that dumbass Manfred has ignored is how many fans are going to boycott baseball next season because of their stupid ass demand to make a profit this fractured season. He has no remembrance of history the last major strike that so insulted the fans it took 5 years and steroids to bring them back. Maybe he should consult Selig that nearly drove baseball into the ground during that strike season if his motivation is improperly placed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What that dumbass Manfred has ignored is how many fans are going to boycott baseball next season because of their stupid ass demand to make a profit this fractured season. He has no remembrance of history the last major strike that so insulted the fans it took 5 years and steroids to bring them back. Maybe he should consult Selig that nearly drove baseball into the ground during that strike season if his motivation is improperly placed.

I agree 100%. The whole position of Baseball Commissioner was created to give the institution some credibility, some kind of oversight after the Black Sox scandal. Those owners knew that sometimes teams need to be saved from themselves by someone who can look at things solely through the lens of what is best for MLB. The problem is, ever since Selig made himself Commissioner, that office has served more to do the owners' bidding, rather than what is best for baseball overall. Makes sense since Selig owned the Brewers at the time. I think Manfred has really f'd this up, but the owners wanted that 37% number and wouldn't budge. Manfred held to that like a loyal puppy dog. Manfred has acted more as MLB's lawyer then it's leader.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...