• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Athletic ranks the Angels broadcast team 11th

mmc

7 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

For me among active broadcasters:

1. Ron Darling + anyone
2. Kuiper + Krukow
3. Victor + Gubie

I know some liked Phys + Rex better when they were here, but I prefer Victor and Gubie.

I still miss Rory Markas on the radio side.

Impemba and Sutton on the radio are still my personal favorites among Angel broadcasters.

Victor is fantastic, one of the best in the game. I wish he had a different partner, and I especially wish it were someone not associated with the Royals. It's distracting to hear them reminisce or inside-joke about people they knew in Kansas City 30 years ago. Nothing personal, Gubi seems like a good guy, I just think the two of them together are less than the sum of the parts. 

I like the current Angel setup. A good balance between analysis and strategic play by play description. Alex is a bonus. 

To expand the topic.

I have a collection of old audio tapes of radio broadcasts that I converted to mp3 format. About 40 games from the past. Most from the fifties and sixties, and one from 1939. Don Larson's perfect game, Maris' 61st homer game, most World Series clinching games, some all star games. Bill Stoneman's first no hitter and more. 

Very cool as windows into baseball of those times. And a good reference for the styles of many legendary broadcasters. Most were very deserving of their reputations. Combos like Coleman, Rizzuto and Garagiola drew you into the Yankee world of that era. Bob Prince was an unabashed Pirate homer, but folksy and witty. Vin Scully as always was smooth and low key. Even calling the perfect game of Koufax. I grew up listening to Dave Van Horn and Duke Snider. The Duke had so many insights about the mechanics of the game that I still reference today.

Most fun broadcasters? Dizzy Dean and Per Wee Reese according to old anecdotes. I heard a few audio clips of them from their game of the week days in the sixties and they were hilarious. Per Wee was the straight play by play man, 'ol Diz' in his heavy accent would be singing the song Wabash Cannonball' in the background. But both were savvy, grizzled HOF players who made the broadcasts entertaining. 

It's a different universe now, but the tradition of long term baseball broadcasters really does link generations. Nice that many of the younger guys respect that, but find their own voices and styles.

4 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Jose Mota is bringing Alex Curry down in the pre and post game category.

There simply is no other reason for such low marks.

I think it's the other way around. When you get crack analysis like "The old saying goes, play good enough until last out, until also something good happens for you", the fault obviously lies elsewhere.

7 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Jose Mota is bringing Alex Curry down in the pre and post game category.

There simply is no other reason for such low marks.

I voted in the survey. I gave Victor and Gubi high marks. I don’t think there’s anyone who doesn’t know Victor is great at his job. Gubi is a bit more divisive, but I think - his personality aside - he is very insightful. 

i gave lower marks to the field reporting, mostly because of Mota. AC is fine - she’s cute and she asks the appropriately bland questions engagingly enough - but I don’t feel like she’s particularly insightful, so I wasn’t concerned about Mota dragging her down. 

49 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I voted in the survey. I gave Victor and Gubi high marks. I don’t think there’s anyone who doesn’t know Victor is great at his job. Gubi is a bit more divisive, but I think - his personality aside - he is very insightful. 

i gave lower marks to the field reporting, mostly because of Mota. AC is fine - she’s cute and she asks the appropriately bland questions engagingly enough - but I don’t feel like she’s particularly insightful, so I wasn’t concerned about Mota dragging her down. 

Embedded video

victor and gubi do a credible job, but my main issue is the excessive amount of dead air during each and every single broadcast. there are times when nothing is said for two pitches. I don't like that at all - tell me some stories or anecdotes.

they also have a tendency too often where they talk like they're sharing inside jokes in front of us. I don't like that and find it very unprofessional.

55 minutes ago, Tank said:

victor and gubi do a credible job, but my main issue is the excessive amount of dead air during each and every single broadcast. there are times when nothing is said for two pitches. I don't like that at all - tell me some stories or anecdotes.

they also have a tendency too often where they talk like they're sharing inside jokes in front of us. I don't like that and find it very unprofessional.

You know I get it, but I prefer that to Physioc/Hudler's incessant blatherring.   There were times I'd turn the volume down just to get away from the verbal onslaught.

Physioc always called the game like it was his first time watching baseball. "There's a high fly ball into deep left field, Aybar is under it and makes the catch." He could never track a baseball. Neither can Terry Smith, he just calls a pitch location wherever he feels like. When he does television it is very obvious the radio side gets a completely different game being called. 

9 hours ago, RBM said:

I think Gubi is great. His analysis is great for the kids. My Son is 14 now and has picked up a lot from Gubi the past few years. 
 What is LAAngelsUK?

It's the twitter account I run - instagram/podcast too - but it's part of our efforts to grow the game over in the UK - and for me obviously it's a focus on the Angels. Every MLB team is represented by one of these fan accounts, I'm also part of MLBUKCommunity where we organise meet ups across the UK to get people together to watch baseball. Some clubs have been a lot more supportive of us than others. Phillies, Mets etc have really embraced it and have been really helpful to let those accounts grow as they see the marketing opportunities where we are basically helping them to crack the UK market for free. Others have been very unresponsive and have ignored efforts so far. The Angels for ages were one of those, although Gubi/Victor were very supportive, but now things have changed a bit with new social media admin, Joe Maddon is also very keen to help, sent me a video in spring training, as did Upton and Simmons. Unfortunately, whilst minor, it's been a real kick in the teeth having this season curtailed, because the momentum we had growing has been stopped. No London series this year and likely to go elsewhere in Europe next year - and the efforts we've made to get people engaged will be weakened. I keep a database of Angels fans in the UK that I find, or people I am able to convert - and whilst small still it is growing. 

12 hours ago, Tank said:

See, I actually like that.  The Steve Stone/Tim McCarver attitude of "the viewers are idiots and I must tell them absolutely everything they can see with their own eyes" is so grating.

Baseball can be a relaxing game.  I like the Victor and Gubie let that come through.  I don't need that full count pitch in the 5rd inning of a Tuesday night 6-run game against the Orioles to be treated like the entire season is on the line right now.

Edited by Lazorko Saves

I am one of the minority that really enjoys Gubi.  I do agree that I get tired of hearing about launch angle but I think that was a broadcast decision.

Also the Mets broadcast is absolutely #1.  Darling and Hernandez are the best at what they do by a large margin.