• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Louisville LHP Reid Detmers 10th overall

mmc

4 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Few things that I've noticed about Detmer while watching these clips.

1. He has pin-point command. Catcher sets up at a specific spot and he hits that that spot with pin- point control. That plus command (60)

2. Seems like each year he got stronger snd stronger, added more velo as well. he was in the 88-91 range in 2019 and jumped to 90-94 in 2020, that's a positive sign. Can he had more velo? maybe or maybe not.

3. He has the ability to hit 93-95 when he needs to, and he can pitch up in the zone. Which makes his FB/Curve that much better. 

4. There still a bit more development left, think his change and cutter/slider can get better. 

5. The added Deception, make his Fb look firm and faster. Its get on hitter. its a 55 grade pitch, what with the add deception and his ability to maintain in the 92/93 range, its could be a 60 grade pitch. 

What i've seen from his change-up I honestly think that may end up being his best pitch and that's not taking away from his curve. I think that his curveball is a plus pitch and could be a plus-plus... 

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Scout's take on Detmers: “He’s going to pitch as long as he wants to . . . Huge courage, huge compete tool, very unaffected by any environment. Strike-thrower, makes big pitches, not scared . . . I don’t even look at his stuff—they don’t hit him."

I thought that said "huge complete tool" for a second, was like wow this scout isn't pulling any punches

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

Has there been any interview with this guy yet?

There was one during the draft last night.  It was...awkward.  I mentioned earlier that he seemed Trout-like in that regard.

Or did you mean others beyond that?

EDIT: Here's a link to a not-so-high-quality version of the ESPN interview: https://www.channel1450.com/video/reid-detmers-interview-on-espn/

Edited by jsnpritchett

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

There was one during the draft last night.  It was...awkward.  I mentioned earlier that he seemed Trout-like in that regard.

I missed it, but I'm surprised there hasn't been anything beyond that. 

On 6/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, Lou said:

The chick behind Detmers is #2 in the rankings.

7 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

EDIT: Here's a link to a not-so-high-quality version of the ESPN interview: https://www.channel1450.com/video/reid-detmers-interview-on-espn/

Mystery solved. 

I have no strong feelings at this time about young Mr. Detmers, or any of the other three picks made by the Angels in the mini-draft.

I'll take a more serious look the next time they have the opportunity to actually play games, probably late 2021.

My recurring disturbing thoughts about top Angels pitching draft picks echo in my mind: Seth Etherton, Chris Bootcheck, Joe Torres,  Cam Bedrosian and Sean Newcomb.

And all those position all-stars not named Trout.

2 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

I have no strong feelings at this time about young Mr. Detmers, or any of the other three picks made by the Angels in the mini-draft.

I'll take a more serious look the next time they have the opportunity to actually play games, probably late 2021.

My recurring disturbing thoughts about top Angels pitching draft picks echo in my mind: Seth Etherton, Chris Bootcheck, Joe Torres,  Cam Bedrosian and Sean Newcomb.

And all those position all-stars not named Trout.

They’ve drafted good position players and a few good pitchers. Finley being the best, then Weaver. Then.... 

But they drafted Salmon, Edmonds, Anderson, Erstad, Glaus, The core of the 02 team. They drafted Trout, but also Kendrick, Napoli, Fletcher, etc.

13 hours ago, Rollinghard said:

Can't help but notice he has a short pitching stride for someone 6'2". Watch when he walks off the field in between innings. Baby steps. It looks like his hammies and/or hip flexors are tight. So when he gets properly stretched and gain mobility he starts throwing 97-98. See him at ST next year.

Lol, I made the same comment in the draft thread after we selected him. He has room to incorporate more leg power into his delivery.