• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Louisville LHP Reid Detmers 10th overall

mmc

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

Joe Saunders but with a better breaking ball. Important to keep in mind, Saunders was actually a pretty solid #3-4 starter for a while there.

Detmer should be a solid #3-4 starter and more importantly, should be ready midway through 2021. This isn't someone to stay on for 2023 and beyond. He's a bit more tangible than that, which is what the system needs.

There's "best player available" vs addressing team needs. Detmer is definitely the latter without sacrificing too much of the former. 

Exactly what the team needs.

This team needs a 3-4 starter? I seem to remember over the last few off seasons everyone saying this team needed a legit ace. 

I'm one of those people who think there are 3-4 starters available all the time on the market. Finding a legit 1-2 starter is what you need to get in the draft. 

I also happen to think there is no such thing as a sure pick. I have never seen this guy pitch. So I have no opinion on it vs. anything else. But based on what the experts seem to know, I don't like the pick. Maybe the experts are wrong and he develops a little more velocity like Canning did. Then he has 1-2 upside. It's possible. But it's also possible that the scouts are wrong and he can't get guys out in the bigs because of his lack of velocity. There are plenty of guys who are very successful in AAA even who bust out in the bigs. There's just no such thing as a sure thing so I'd prefer to go with upside. One of the things I really like about Eppler compared to DiPotto is that he's restocked the system with high upside guys. 

I am probably reading too much into it, but it seems like maybe Arte is getting cheap. Rather than spending $15 million a year on a mid rotation FA pitcher he'd rather burn our shot at a 1-2 pitcher to save that money. Combined with his furloughing of the scouting staff and holding off on the development plan there may be a pattern developing. It's also possible that the Angels see a higher upside in the pick than the scouts. 

I've just always been a draft for realistic upside and BPA compared to safe and need picks. It's why I didn't really like DiPoto's drafts and have like Eppler's past drafts a lot better (excepting Will Wilson).

3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

How is Jose Quintana for a comp? Both are southpaws having a FB/CV/CH in their repertoires with a fastball sitting in the low 90's and I think Detmers has the superior secondary pitches (he definitely has the superior curve). Quintana stands at 6'1, 220 pounds while Detmers at 6'2, 210 pounds (could Detmers add an extra tick on his fastball if there's room for a few extra pounds in his frame?). Quintana has arguably been at least a solid #3 pitcher his entire career with a few #2 seasons sprinkled in. If Detmers is anything similar to Quintana, I think we hit the jackpot.

Jose Quintana Career Stats:

GP GS W L W% WAR ERA WHIP IP K BB K/BB H R ER      
25 22 6 6 .500 2.3 3.76 1.35 136.1 81 42 1.9 142 62 57      
33 33 9 7 .563 5.4 3.51 1.22 200.0 164 56 2.9 188 83 78      
32 32 9 11 .450 3.5 3.32 1.24 200.1 178 52 3.4 197 87 74      
32 32 9 10 .474 4.0 3.36 1.27 206.1 177 44 4.0 218 81 77      
32 32 13 12 .520 5.2 3.20 1.16 208.0 181 50 3.6 192 76 74      
18 18 4 8 .333 1.1 4.49 1.32 104.1 109 40 2.7 98 55 52      
14 14 7 3 .700 1.3 3.74 1.10 84.1 98 21 4.7 72 37 35      
32 32 13 11 .542 2.2 4.03 1.32 174.1 158 68 2.3 162 81 78      
32 31 13 9 .591 1.2 4.68 1.39 171.0 152 46 3.3 191 100 89      

I saw Quintana and Buehrle comps dropped somewhere else as well. I like them. Same with these other two...

Keuchel and Corbin

Quintana, Corbin, Keuchel all sit around 90-92mph range with their fastball fwiw

Louisville head coach, Dan McDonnell used former Cardinal Brendan McKay as a comp. McDonnell was quoted as saying the only reason Detmers isn’t going 1st overall is because he doesn’t throw 96. Obviously he’s a bit bias but the fact remains. The kid can pitch

The "safe" complaining is so funny.  This dude is an inning eater who throws strikes and doesn't walk anyone.  You know who that sounds like on the Angels the past 3-5 years?......NOBODY.

Just because he doesn't throw 97-100 people say he doesn't have the ceiling.  The draft and minor leagues are littered with guys who can throw 97+.  It doesn't mean those guys are Aces.  They have to have other pitches, they have to be able to throw strikes, locate, have a gameplan & execute, etc.  It's become this sexy thing guys can't overlook -- like big boobs but a fat chick or ugly.  

Sure i want an Ace....but do you realize that's way easier said than done?  Guys develop into aces....they aren't born.  At this point, i'd love a #2-4 guy who can pitch past 7+ innings (much less thru 5) and stay healthy for the whole season.  Shouldn't we first lower our expectations?  We can't even have guys pitch 100 freaking innings!

Give me this guy....and i'll hope CRod stays healthy and because that fantastic Ace along with Otani.  Maybe Jack Kochanowicz (or Yan/Soriano) becomes that Ace.  But i'll be pretty happy having a bulldog strike thrower #3 (at least) set thru 2030. 

32 minutes ago, Fourts said:

The "safe" complaining is so funny.  This dude is an inning eater who throws strikes and doesn't walk anyone.  You know who that sounds like on the Angels the past 3-5 years?......NOBODY.

Just because he doesn't throw 97-100 people say he doesn't have the ceiling.  The draft and minor leagues are littered with guys who can throw 97+.  It doesn't mean those guys are Aces.  They have to have other pitches, they have to be able to throw strikes, locate, have a gameplan & execute, etc.  It's become this sexy thing guys can't overlook -- like big boobs but a fat chick or ugly.  

Sure i want an Ace....but do you realize that's way easier said than done?  Guys develop into aces....they aren't born.  At this point, i'd love a #2-4 guy who can pitch past 7+ innings (much less thru 5) and stay healthy for the whole season.  Shouldn't we first lower our expectations?  We can't even have guys pitch 100 freaking innings!

Give me this guy....and i'll hope CRod stays healthy and because that fantastic Ace along with Otani.  Maybe Jack Kochanowicz (or Yan/Soriano) becomes that Ace.  But i'll be pretty happy having a bulldog strike thrower #3 (at least) set thru 2030. 

Maybe this guy will develop into that, but maybe he won't. The minors is also littered with guys who don't have the velo but are control guys but can't make the jump to the bigs. If you can't strike guys out you start to nibble and then you can't work deep into games. If the stuff doesn't strike out the best of the best you're going to have trouble working deep into games. There are guys who can do it without sitting in the mid 90's, but they are a lot more rare than guys in the majors who hit the mid 90's pretty consistently. 

4 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Ohtani, Canning, Sandoval and Detmers in 2022

Yep. This gets me excited. 

Add in Chris Rodriguez if he can stay healthy, Esteban Yan,  Jack Kochanowicz and Stiward Aquino that has the makings of one helluva farm grown rotation. There's also Jose Soriano who will be recovered from TJ surgery in 2021 as well. 

8 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Maybe this guy will develop into that, but maybe he won't. The minors is also littered with guys who don't have the velo but are control guys but can't make the jump to the bigs. If you can't strike guys out you start to nibble and then you can't work deep into games. If the stuff doesn't strike out the best of the best you're going to have trouble working deep into games. There are guys who can do it without sitting in the mid 90's, but they are a lot more rare than guys in the majors who hit the mid 90's pretty consistently. 

But maybe he will. 

9 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

On the flip side there plenty more HS and College arms who are drafted because of velo or because they have a combination of good velo and one secondary pitch, but because they've never developed a third pitch, whether it's a changeup or a breaking ball their two-pitch repertoire doesn't go far in the majors as a starting pitcher and they either don't make it to the big leagues or they do as a reliever. 

I wanted Crochet, but mostly because I was assuming Detmers was gone by 10. 

This was the pick they had to make. If you could come up with a reasonable wish list for what the Angels would get at #10, it would probably look a lot like Detmers:

• A college pitcher that can rise quickly (over under on his first start is 18 months)
  • Has a clean delivery and a clean injury history (important because Angels)
  • Has  + command, + control, and a fiery attitude (missing this since Weaver)
  • Has three good pitches, with some  development left (Cutter might be a legit 4th pitch, or he could add a couple of ticks to his FB, or both). 

I'd be shocked if he was lower than 4th on their board. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

On the flip side there plenty more HS and College arms who are drafted because of velo or because they have a combination of good velo and one secondary pitch, but because they've never developed a third pitch, whether it's a changeup or a breaking ball their two-pitch repertoire doesn't go far in the majors as a starting pitcher and they either don't make it to the big leagues or they do as a reliever. 

So you mean that there is more than one way to reach the majors? Are you sure?

Meyer who went 3rd overall has a smaller frame and being a guy who hits the mid 90's there's concerns he may not hold up physically.  Lacy who went 4th has command issues which can be hard to get over as you move through the minors and face better hitters.  Hancock who went 6th has a lower ceiling than Lacy but a higher floor.  Crochet who was taken right after Detmers started 13 of 36 appearances in his college career and was injured at the beginning of the last season.  He's a guy who is getting drafted on potential because of his size and what teams hope he an be which is a starter.  One analysis says if he doesn't cut it there he could be a good setup man but that's not what you're hoping for from the 11th pick.  Sounds like Detmers might have a lower ceiling than many or all of these guys but the highest floor while the consensus is that he could be a 3-4 starting in the majors by next season.  After our luck with pitchers I'll be thrilled if any they draft this year are up and producing with the big club in the next 1-2 years especially if one of them is starting. 

Few things that I've noticed about Detmer while watching these clips.

1. He has pin-point command. Catcher sets up at a specific spot and he hits that that spot with pin- point control. That plus command (60)

2. Seems like each year he got stronger snd stronger, added more velo as well. he was in the 88-91 range in 2019 and jumped to 90-94 in 2020, that's a positive sign. Can he had more velo? maybe or maybe not.

3. He has the ability to hit 93-95 when he needs to, and he can pitch up in the zone. Which makes his FB/Curve that much better. 

4. There still a bit more development left, think his change and cutter/slider can get better. 

5. The added Deception, make his Fb look firm and faster. Its get on hitter. its a 55 grade pitch, what with the add deception and his ability to maintain in the 92/93 range, its could be a 60 grade pitch. 

13 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Few things that I've noticed about Detmer while watching these clips.

1. He has pin-point command. Catcher sets up at a specific spot and he hits that that spot with pin- point control. That plus command (60)

2. Seems like each year he got stronger snd stronger, added more velo as well. he was in the 88-91 range in 2019 and jumped to 90-94 in 2020, that's a positive sign. Can he had more velo? maybe or maybe not.

3. He has the ability to hit 93-95 when he needs to, and he can pitch up in the zone. Which makes his FB/Curve that much better. 

4. There still a bit more development left, think his change and cutter/slider can get better. 

5. The added Deception, make his Fb look firm and faster. Its get on hitter. its a 55 grade pitch, what with the add deception and his ability to maintain in the 92/93 range, its could be a 60 grade pitch. 

He definitely could add more velo. I know Patrick Corbin did. He hovered around 90-92 MPH after we drafted him. 

The good thing about Detmers is that he also hides the ball well so the ball jumps on the hitter. So that 91-92 could very well look like mid 90's heat. 

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Scout's take on Detmers: “He’s going to pitch as long as he wants to . . . Huge courage, huge compete tool, very unaffected by any environment. Strike-thrower, makes big pitches, not scared . . . I don’t even look at his stuff—they don’t hit him."

@st1ckboy is a scout? Good to know. 

Detmers is a solid pick. Should make an impact pretty quickly. 

Edited by RendZone

Look at his k numbers. On paper, what you would expect from a high 90s type pitcher. There are two ways to getting those numbers. Power or craftiness/control. They both produce the same results.

For a long career, control, intelligence and a good repertoire of pitches are important. If this guy is as smart, competitive and confident as portrayed then he should get better with more experience. 

There will be a learning curve, and there will be rough spots, but he has legitimate high end skills. And at his size he isn't necessarily at the ceiling for velocity. 

Looking forward to watching him progress.

2 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Meyer who went 3rd overall has a smaller frame and being a guy who hits the mid 90's there's concerns he may not hold up physically.  Lacy who went 4th has command issues which can be hard to get over as you move through the minors and face better hitters.  Hancock who went 6th has a lower ceiling than Lacy but a higher floor.  Crochet who was taken right after Detmers started 13 of 36 appearances in his college career and was injured at the beginning of the last season.  He's a guy who is getting drafted on potential because of his size and what teams hope he an be which is a starter.  One analysis says if he doesn't cut it there he could be a good setup man but that's not what you're hoping for from the 11th pick.  Sounds like Detmers might have a lower ceiling than many or all of these guys but the highest floor while the consensus is that he could be a 3-4 starting in the majors by next season.  After our luck with pitchers I'll be thrilled if any they draft this year are up and producing with the big club in the next 1-2 years especially if one of them is starting. 

Sean Newcomb thinks you’re full of shit