• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Top Angels Draft Classes

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Has any team in MLB ever had a better draft than this one?

No. 1 – 2009 (Mike Trout, Patrick Corbin, Garrett Richards, Randal Grichuk, Tyler Skaggs) 

Unfortunately, the hated Dodgers arguably had the best (if you measure it by depth) in 1968.  Garvey, Cey, Lopes, Buckner, Geoff Zahn, and a couple others.  Basically set up their success in the '70s with that one draft. 

2009 Angels Draft: 109.9 WAR

1968 Dodgers Draft: 79.3 WAR (or 133.1 with Ron Cey in the "Secondary Phase")

So, yeah - the Dodgers had a huge draft. Not sure how the Secondary Phase works. But eventually the Angels 2009 draft will surpass it. If we add in moderate estimates of +50 for Trout, +10 for Corbin, +5 each for Richards and Grichuk, that's about 180 WAR. Thats a tad more than the Giants in 1982 (174), when they drafted Bonds (but he didn't sign). The Pirates re-drafted him in 1985, but no one else of note so had a total WAR of 162.7.

I wasn't able to find an article that lists the best team drafts by WAR, only draft classes for all MLB.

24 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

2009 Angels Draft: 109.9 WAR

1968 Dodgers Draft: 79.3 WAR (or 133.1 with Ron Cey in the "Secondary Phase")

So, yeah - the Dodgers had a huge draft. Not sure how the Secondary Phase works. But eventually the Angels 2009 draft will surpass it. If we add in moderate estimates of +50 for Trout, +10 for Corbin, +5 each for Richards and Grichuk, that's about 180 WAR. Thats a tad more than the Giants in 1982 (174), when they drafted Bonds (but he didn't sign). The Pirates re-drafted him in 1985, but no one else of note so had a total WAR of 162.7.

I wasn't able to find an article that lists the best team drafts by WAR, only draft classes for all MLB.

Here's an article that mostly does what you're looking for.

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-mlb-draft-classes-for-each-team

And I get your point about the Angels and even the Giants drafts--but looking at just total WAR doesn't really tell you the full story of how successful a draft is, in my opinion.  A generational talent like Trout or Bonds obviously skews things.

9 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Here's an article that mostly does what you're looking for.

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-mlb-draft-classes-for-each-team

And I get your point about the Angels and even the Giants drafts--but looking at just total WAR doesn't really tell you the full story of how successful a draft is, in my opinion.  A generational talent like Trout or Bonds obviously skews things.

Yeah, I agree. If we assign abstract values based upon regular performance level, we get something like this:

Generational talent (10): Trout

Superstar/MVP (7): None

All-star (5): Corbin, Cey, Garvey, Lopes, Buckner

Quality Player (3): Grichuk, Richards, Zahn, Alexander, Ferguson

Solid Regulars/Role Players (1): Skaggs, Paciorek, Maddox, Curtis

So that ends up being Angels 22, Dodgers 32.