• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What defunding the police could look like

I think disbanding the police is a good long term goal for a society, whether we're ready to make it happen, we'll see. Regardless, I want to see massive reform, of which there are many good ideas. We need to change the perception that police are as needed as we've been propagandized into believing. They have too much power, and that needs to be abolished. They have been thugs for the owner class and state oppressors for a long fucking time. 

11 hours ago, Rico said:

So y'all didn't actually read the article?

They temporarily broke up the union, put more cops on the street, made it easier to fire them, and limited the use of some of their tactics like choke holds. 

Crime went drastically down.

They didn't defund them. In fact the article says they doubled the size of their force. 

9 hours ago, Jason said:

What works in Camden may not work in Los Angeles. I think everyone can agree to reform but getting rid of them isn’t the answer 

The entire population of Camden can fit in the Rose bowl with 20,000 seats to spare. 

5 hours ago, Rico said:

Defund the police doesn't mean we don't want any police. But we do need to make it easier to hold these bad apples accountable and right now the system protects them.

A few days ago a Fontana police officer was arrested because he intoxicated and raped a 16 year old. He is on paid leave because he can't legally be fired.  The system is fucked.

I think the word, "defund" is the problem.  It leads to a an idea that's a non-starter:  No police. 

That can't happen, obviously.  Seems to me this is more about putting a community plan together in conjunction with the police department and funding what the community wants to see.  Camden seems to have had some success, but it's more anecdotal evidence (according to the article) and it's a very new way of policing, so there's not a large body of research. 

In all, I don't have a problem with having clear, defined expectations for police, as well as reasonable procedures in place to terminate the officers who can't follow the community/departmental expectations. 

35 minutes ago, halomatt said:

I think the word, "defund" is the problem.  It leads to a an idea that's a non-starter:  No police. 

That can't happen, obviously.  Seems to me this is more about putting a community plan together in conjunction with the police department and funding what the community wants to see.  Camden seems to have had some success, but it's more anecdotal evidence (according to the article) and it's a very new way of policing, so there's not a large body of research. 

In all, I don't have a problem with having clear, defined expectations for police, as well as reasonable procedures in place to terminate the officers who can't follow the community/departmental expectations. 

None of that happens while they are unionized 

5 minutes ago, Franklin Bluth said:

So it would be like contractors? Different private police forces submit bids to get contracts with cities?

That would be one way to do it, but I think the purchasing decision process need to be thought through. If you just have an elected official or officials making the decision you just end up with more crony crap that would be no different than what we have now. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I’ll take responsibility for my own safety. I’m good with that 

If I ever lived in an area that disbanded the police (spoiler: I’m not that stupid) it would be CCW all day everyday. 

Edited by Lhalo