The Official 2020 MLB Amateur Draft Thread (June 10th & 11th)

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

True. 

But let me ask this a different way?

If the Angels were to select a position player in this draft over a pitcher, which one would you be happy with them selecting?

Yes, I would be rather unhappy about it. This is a pitching heavy draft, and there are and will be plenty of good arms to draft this year. Not that you draft for need, but, I think the chances of a pitcher developing into a better player than a position player, after missing this entire season, and possibly the Minor League season, are greater than what you can get with a position player at our slot. I think the possibility to sign better hitting after the draft is over is greater than to sign pitching. I would love to get Meyer, Detmer, Crotchet, etc. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny story... Tommy Lasorda yelled at me once because of this.  It was early 2003, I was working at Buca Di Beppo in Universal City Walk as a food server and a party of 15 dodger executive came in an

Werner Retweeted     Brad Galli @BradGalli

It's official: nobody has any idea who we're going to draft.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Yes, I would be rather unhappy about it. This is a pitching heavy draft, and there are and will be plenty of good arms to draft this year. Not that you draft for need, but, I think the chances of a pitcher developing into a better player than a position player, after missing this entire season, and possibly the Minor League season, are greater than what you can get with a position player at our slot. I think the possibility to sign better hitting after the draft is over is greater than to sign pitching. I would love to get Meyer, Detmer, Crotchet, etc. 

I agree. In fact, I think it would be a huge mistake NOT to take a pitcher in the 1st round because there's so many arms. That should leave a pretty decent amount of position players in the 3rd-5th rounds to select from. 

4 hours ago, Fourts said:

Don't forget Nick Adenhart in 2004.  Also from a P standpoint: Ervin Santana, Jered Weaver, Darin O'Day (UDFA).. Joe Saunders too (not great, but a decent SP for a few years)

He had his hits but looking at the sheer numbers, a lot more misses, which is to be fair normal for pitchers..  To his credit, the list of pitchers he drafted but failed to sign is pretty significant.  So, they did a really good job of identifying guys early in their careers.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I've said this before before but from my interactions with people who were a part of the organization in those days everyone including his critics loved the guy.

Great story BTW...  Lasorda is a clown.

Yes Lasorda is a clown... so Buca management asked to have a picture with everyone afterwards, Tommy agreed only if I wasn't part of the pic.  I was cool with it under one circumstance as long as I could get a pic with Bill Bavasi, which I got... have to find it one of these days and post it here. 

2 hours ago, RBM said:

I've always thought Bill Bavasi should get more credit than he does for building the 2002 WS team.

Bavasi drafted Erstad, Washburn, Glaus, Lackey and Shields and signed K-Rod and Ramon Ortiz as amateur FA's when he was General Manager. He was Farm Director when Salmon, Anderson, Percival and Molina were coming up through the minors.

He was the farm director, but he wasn't the talent guy behind those decisions -- Bob Fontaine Jr. was the man that drove the player scouting and the sort.  He was extremely good at his job. 

Bavasi's greatest strength was his connecting with people and he deserves credit for that, but he was fully responsible for the rot that had set in at the end of the 90s in the system.  Also, Bavasi cut Molina as he left, Stoneman acting on the advice of one of the Sutherland brothers brought him back. 

To be perfectly fair, Stoneman's farm was totally built on the backs of the Sutherland brothers, one of them having been named minor league executive of the decade by BB America for his work with the Expos.  Donny Rowland was also a big reason for the rapid improvement farm wise early in Stoneman's tenure.  But unlike Bavasi who inherited Fontaine, Stoneman was responsible for bringing those guys in... And for firing Rowland after his power grab.

As far as giving credit goes, Stoneman invited Bavasi to all the WS stuff and heaped credit on him for having amassed the talent he did.  So, the organization showed him the gratitude that maybe wasn't there from the fanbase.

Of the pitchers that are expected to be around right around the 10th pick is Detmer the safest pick?  The way I understand it is he may be the safe pick, but not the one with the most upside, does that sound about right?  Meyers being the one that will be taken somewhere between 7-10 has the highest upside?  

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Of the pitchers that are expected to be around right around the 10th pick is Detmer the safest pick?  The way I understand it is he may be the safe pick, but not the one with the most upside, does that sound about right?  Meyers being the one that will be taken somewhere between 7-10 has the highest upside?  

Asa Lacy  probably has the biggest upside. 

Cade Cavalli, might have the biggest arm but also a bit of a mystery because he wasn't a full time pitcher until this Spring.   Keith Law claims to have seen him hitting 97 sans a windup which he combines with a hard slider and power curve...  that three pitch mix is brutal ....think Richards type stuff... Also like Richards he's coming out of U of Oklahoma.  He's probably my favorite pitcher they have a shot at but, he's got risk attached. 

Detmer may be the most appealing.... Dude is pretty effortless on the mound and he's got a track record to bank on.

Maybe this is the year to take the safe pick.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Asa Lacy  probably has the biggest upside. 

Cade Cavalli, might have the biggest arm but also a bit of a mystery because he wasn't a full time pitcher until this Spring.   Keith Law claims to have seen him hitting 97 sans a windup which he combines with a hard slider and power curve...  that three pitch mix is brutal ....think Richards type stuff... Also like Richards he's coming out of U of Oklahoma.  He's probably my favorite pitcher they have a shot at but, he's got risk attached. 

Detmer may be the most appealing.... Dude is pretty effortless on the mound and he's got a track record to bank on.

Maybe this is the year to take the safe pick.

Yea, I didn’t mention Lacy because there is virtually no chance he falls to 10.  I’ve heard good things about Cavalli, but like you said just started pitching full time this year.  I know nothing about Detmer, but have seen people on MLB network talk about him being polished and a guy that will pitch 10-15 years in the majors.  

11 hours ago, RBM said:

I've always thought Bill Bavasi should get more credit than he does for building the 2002 WS team.

Bavasi drafted Erstad, Washburn, Glaus, Lackey and Shields and signed K-Rod and Ramon Ortiz as amateur FA's when he was General Manager. He was Farm Director when Salmon, Anderson, Percival and Molina were coming up through the minors.

Stoneman came in before the 2000 season. He held on to what he had - which was huge. He added Eckstein, Kennedy, Spiezio, Appier, Donnelly and Fullmer. And in 2002 everyone stayed healthy and the Angels made their run.

BTW, i was referring to Buzzie, not his son Bill, as a GM.  Anyway, I agree that Bill did some good things, especially late setting up that 2002 team.  Stoneman's best work, imo, was actually setting up the 2004+ run.

This year’s draft has wildly different circumstances, so hard to sort of guess off past history, but someone like Detmers - a relatively safe, low-risk, lower-ceiling college arm - is someone we’ve seen Eppler pass on time and time again despite the org’s need. 

I think Bailey is really likely, unfortunately (???. We have a history of picking those college catchers early and the system is totally devoid of catching talent. Even if he’s just an average MLB catcher at best, he’d possibly be ready in a couple years. Additionally, going with him early may help keep money down allowing them to offer more to later round that may slip. Strategy is a little hard to guess at this point.

I think Cavalli is a strong candidate too. They like Oklahoma pitching talent, they like high-reward, Cavalli’s family has some ties to the org, and they certainly like two-way talents. 

Edited by totdprods

So in the last version of Baseball America's mock draft it had us getting Detmers, but on their draft day Mock posted today they have us getting the outfielder Kjerstad again at #10. Abel, Detmers and Cavalli are 11-13 respectively. 

Screenshot_20200610-082808_Chrome.jpg

Lacey  is the top college pitcher in this draft. Won't even make pass #3.

Hancock and Meyer, i personally believe are about  equal. Potential 2/3s. Lately I've hearing that Hancock might fall due to injury concerns. 

Hancock has a 4 pitch mix, each pitching rating  from above-average to plus. Good control. Issue with him is that he's dealt with Elbow Soreness towards the end of last year, does really strike our a lot of people with his Fb,  while being a plus pitch, that can  hit the high 90s. 

Meyers, has the best slider in the draft, a plus-plus pitch, but also in my eyes posses a plus-plus fastball (reach a 100), he's a good athlete, scouts expect him to be a starter, Sonny gray has been a comp that's been thrown at him. Concern are he's 6 ft, and that he hasn't fully developed a 3rd pitch.lastly doesn't have the strongest track record. 

These are the top tiers pitchers.

Think In-side pitch did a great job on there other guys. But i'll include Crochet. him and Cavali have similar issue, lack of track record, big fb and breaking ball, injury concerns.