• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 MLB Amateur Draft Thread (June 10th & 11th)

Chuck

I was hoping Bailey was a surprise pick, but I like the Detmers selection. I was nervous about the Ed Howard "announcement pick" by someone on twitter, nothing against him, but they need to focus on college talent right now.

From https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2020-mlb-draft-complete-results-tracker-as-tigers-take-spencer-torkelson-orioles-surprise-at-no-2/

"He finished his career at Louisville with a four-start stretch that saw him post a 1.23 ERA and strike out 19.6 batters per nine innings. You read that right: he fanned more than two per inning, or 48 of the 91 batters he faced, and he did that while allowing 16 hits, three runs, and six walks. Detmers, whose delivery and high three-quarters release will remind some of Drew Smyly or Tarik Skubal, pairs a low-90s fastball with a slow, knee-buckling curveball. Scouts have concerns that the curve won't be as effective against big-league hitters due to its low-to-mid-70s velocity and its out-of-hand visibility. Detmers could help his own case by nursing along his slider and changeup. Should he prove successful, he ought to be a quick-to-rise mid-rotation starter."

If he makes it to the majors and ends up as a mid-rotation starter that's great. 

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

His arm has yet to be declared a disaster zone by FEMA.

Reading more about him, I think this is more comparable to the Jered Weaver selection. Detmers was dominant against college hitters this year but didn't have a chance to put up the crazy numbers Weaver did over a full year.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

Reading more about him, I think this is more comparable to the Jered Weaver selection. Detmers was dominant against college hitters this year but didn't have a chance to put up the crazy numbers Weaver did over a full year.

Pitching ninja and a few others have some really glowing comments about him.  BBA guys saying the Angels had been all over him.