• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 MLB Season Poll

2020 MLB Season Poll  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be a 2020 MLB Season?

• Yes
    • No

I still believe there will be, but I also think the decision needs to be made within the next few weeks.  It appears both sides do not want the season to last until November, meaning that the number of games won't be more than 90-100, taking into consideration an abbreviated "spring" training.  Optimism remains.

45 minutes ago, ScottT said:

It's not early.

So this.  Let's say they come to a framework of an agreement by Friday of next week (some chance of this happening)  That's June 12. There will need to be a vote by both the owners and players sides, owners will be much quicker as there's only 30 owners, but the players side will take a longer.  Each player and owner will review it with their lawyers/trusted advisor and then vote on it.  Maybe this will take 5 days.  That's June 17th.  Once an agreement is reached, everyone will need to assemble at wherever they agreed to meet and work out the logistics (ie. setting up fields, getting support staff in, ordering equipment, and players getting in, etc.).  This will take a few days and maybe the abbreviated Spring training starts on Sunday, June 21.  Spring training lasts 12 days and real games start on July 4, with an off day on July 3. 

This is all a highly optimistic timeline with no hiccups or issues popping up.  By the sounds of it, players and owners are still far away from coming close to an agreement.  I would say that there needs to be a sense of urgency from both sides if they want a season to start on July 4. 

The longer this drags out, the less likelihood of a season.

I'm curious, say we don't have a season due to the virus or simply both sides can't come to an agreement.  Would it be possible for the players, under their MLB contracts, to setup side TV deals like a HR derby outside of MLB that is solely for the players to make money this year.  They could donate a portion to charities.  Is that possible or are they prevented under their MLB contracts to doing anything that is not tied thru MLB? 

If they could do it, would they also be able to play some made-for-TV games?  For Ps, there would be huge injury concerns, so maybe you'd do softball or bring in outside Ps.  Just wondering what options they'd have in making money with their skills and proving TV entertainment that is completely outside of the owners.  Anyone know?   

I don't think they can participate in any baseball activities outside of MLB by their contract with MLB. Now if they want to set up a charity golf tourney and have appearance fees, they can and do that on the side already. 

22 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I don't think they can participate in any baseball activities outside of MLB by their contract with MLB. Now if they want to set up a charity golf tourney and have appearance fees, they can and do that on the side already. 

I suggested in another thread that the league and many of their best players should set up a charity week of baseball activities like games, home run derby for the fans to try to kickstart the game. People could watch and text in pledges to assist with Covid-19 relief. That would send a positive message instead of arguing about money when 40,000,000 people are out of work. 

14 hours ago, Tank said:

No season. I think they’ll manage to screw this up.

Have changed my mind and I now agree, although I’m not ready to totally give up....too close to the CBA ending....too much bad blood....I don’t think either side is willing to do what needs to be done (compromising) to make it happen...welcome to an exclusive club, Mr. Manford and Mr. Clark....Join Mr. Selig and Mr. Fehr in the Screw It Up Royally Fraternity....

Yahoo is reporting that the July 4 date is most likely a no go at this point.  https://sports.yahoo.com/is-baseball-coming-back-heres-the-latest-news-on-mlb-player-negotiations-to-restart-season-171733107.html

As I posted earlier in the thread, there needs to be a sense of urgency on both sides to come to an agreement to have a decent amount of games for the season, and it appears that it's not happening as of yet.  There's a lot of distrust and animosity right now, but I say there will still be a season.