• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Protests and Riots Thread

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Yeah, because the price of college hasn't increased since you went three decades ago. Have you looked at the cost of tuition at UCLA lately? Heck, even UC Riverside.

part of the problem with higher education today is the perception that you have to attend one of the bigger universities in order to get a good job that pays well. this isn't an absolute truth. there are probably plenty of stories amongst us here that earn a good living/have a great job, and an education at a well-known university wasn't necessary for that.

without a doubt, a degree from some universities may mean more than a degree from others, but i think that's always been dependent on what field you're going into. my education and social studies degree is from a small christian college in norcal. it wouldn't have made any kind of difference in my pay if i had gone to duke, florida state, ohio state, or yale. 

i think the time is right for us as a nation to put a whole lot more emphasis on trade skills, too. you don't need a degree to be a landscaper, plumber, electrician, etc., and those are jobs that can pay well.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

part of the problem with higher education today is the perception that you have to attend one of the bigger universities in order to get a good job that pays well. this isn't an absolute truth. there are probably plenty of stories amongst us here that earn a good living/have a great job, and an education at a well-known university wasn't necessary for that.

without a doubt, a degree from some universities may mean more than a degree from others, but i think that's always been dependent on what field you're going into. my education and social studies degree is from a small christian college in norcal. it wouldn't have made any kind of difference in my pay if i had gone to duke, florida state, ohio state, or yale. 

i think the time is right for us as a nation to put a whole lot more emphasis on trade skills, too. you don't need a degree to be a landscaper, plumber, electrician, etc., and those are jobs that can pay well.

I agree with this, Tank. People should be encouraged and equipped to pursue all career paths, college or not.

45 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Because greedy capitalists! It has nothing to do with the explosion of government backed student loans. It's those damned capitalists!

I'd say it's about 70% greed, 30% government loans. 

If a school increases its costs simply because they know students can get loans, how is that not greedy? I'm sure you think it's just "smart."

Either way, it's the students who pay the price (literally and figuratively).

23 minutes ago, Taylor said:

If a school increases its costs simply because they know students can get loans, how is that not greedy? I'm sure you think it's just "smart."

It's basic economics so of course they are going to charge more. If the government backed loans for a new car then they would charge more for that car because the money is guaranteed so competition isn't necessary. I don't know if you've noticed but I guess the feds have an endless supply of money these days. 

How Unlimited Student Loans Drive Up Tuition (forbes.com)

Edited by Jason

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

You do know that most colleges and universities are non profits.  They don't just simply increase costs because they know students can get loans.  

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's basic economics so of course they are going to charge more. If the government backed loans for a new car then they would charge more for that car because the money is guaranteed so competition isn't necessary. I don't know if you've noticed but I guess the feds have an endless supply of money these days. 

How Unlimited Student Loans Drive Up Tuition (forbes.com)

So you think universities (which, as GB pointed out, are primarily non-profits) should operate with the same principles as car dealerships?

6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

So you think universities (which, as GB pointed out, are primarily non-profits) should operate with the same principles as car dealerships?

They may be non-profit but they still pay teachers, administrators and everyone and everything else that a university may needs to operate. Without competition prices will never favor the consumer. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

They may be non-profit but they still pay teachers, administrators and everyone and everything else that a university may needs to operate. Without competition prices will never favor the consumer. 

I do understand the competition thing. You can't attract quality faculty unless you can afford to pay them what other schools are paying.

8 hours ago, Taylor said:

High education skus but not for the Tucker Carlson-esque reasons any of you are saying.

It's because of how capitalism and profit have become the driving forces for schools. Students paying ridiculous prices for everything from tuition to textbooks because of our country's boner for monetizing everything.

The availability of infinite student loans has made the problem worse. Yet, unless you're a rich legacy student or athlete, or you're one of the lucky poor kids who gets in on an academic scholarship, student loans are necessary for going to college.

Peperdine appreciates your participation in raising the cost of education by taking out students loans for a degree that doesn't support the dollar investment. 

I think the only college class I ever took was an intro to Photoshop class at Golden West college in like 2005.

I have a 6 figure income now, was able to get some basic certifications in my field to get my foot in the door, then decided to work harder at it than everyone else around me. IT work is great.

And shit @Taylor, you say they capitalists have a boner for monetising everything from textbooks, education and so on. That stuff is all the result of someone or multiple someones labor. Textbooks don't appear out of thin air, and professors aren't robots. Well, they're robots in one fashion I guess these days...

Someone has to pay for that shit, i would say leftists such as yourself have a boner for feeling entitled to that labor. Unless you're getting a scholarship, that's only granted to you either through slavery or your neighbors paying for it. Higher education is just that. Higher. It's not necessary.

now someone go dig up some shit from me where I argued the complete opposite of this like a dip shit.

9 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I think the only college class I ever took was an intro to Photoshop class at Golden West college in like 2005.

I have a 6 figure income now, was able to get some basic certifications in my field to get my foot in the door, then decided to work harder at it than everyone else around me. IT work is great.

And shit @Taylor, you say they capitalists have a boner for monetising everything from textbooks, education and so on. That stuff is all the result of someone or multiple someones labor. Textbooks don't appear out of thin air, and professors aren't robots. Well, they're robots in one fashion I guess these days...

Someone has to pay for that shit, i would say leftists such as yourself have a boner for feeling entitled to that labor. Unless you're getting a scholarship, that's only granted to you either through slavery or your neighbors paying for it. Higher education is just that. Higher. It's not necessary.

now someone go dig up some shit from me where I argued the complete opposite of this like a dip shit.

I forget then which poster here paid their way through college. Maybe failos?

You obviously didn't go to college if you think textbooks aren't price gouged to oblivion. A single textbook really costs $250 worth of labor? Hahaha.

I remember my freshman or sophomore year, I let the Pepperdine bookstore lady talk me into buying my Spanish textbook new ($200) rather than used ($80) because she said I'd be able to trade in the new textbook at the end of the semester.

End of the semester rolls around, I go to trade in the textbook. "Oh sorry, there's a new edition, so we're not buying that one back."

I don't think textbooks should be free. But I don't think it should cost hundreds of dollars a semester for textbooks.

I don't think college should be free, necessarily. But I don't think it should force someone to take out a mortgage-sized loan.

8 minutes ago, St1ck said:

Blarg just likes to make personal attacks then delete responses back to him. But he's "not a mod."

Well, I just realized that Blarg didn't go to college, yet he makes more money than I will probably ever make in my life.

Edge: The Bachelor

9 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I forget then which poster here paid their way through college. Maybe failos?

You obviously didn't go to college if you think textbooks aren't price gouged to oblivion. A single textbook really costs $250 worth of labor? Hahaha.

I remember my freshman or sophomore year, I let the Pepperdine bookstore lady talk me into buying my Spanish textbook new ($200) rather than used ($80) because she said I'd be able to trade in the new textbook at the end of the semester.

End of the semester rolls around, I go to trade in the textbook. "Oh sorry, there's a new edition, so we're not buying that one back."

I don't think textbooks should be free. But I don't think it should cost hundreds of dollars a semester for textbooks.

I don't think college should be free, necessarily. But I don't think it should force someone to take out a mortgage-sized loan.

The textbooks cost what the market deems them to cost. That market is being propped up by unnatural forces.

Since I never went through the process and don't know, don't the student loans cover textbooks? If so, are you only able to buy new textbooks with those loans?

Just now, Make Angels Great Again said:

The textbooks cost what the market deems them to cost. That market is being propped up by unnatural forces.

Since I never went through the process and don't know, don't the student loans cover textbooks? If so, are you only able to buy new textbooks with those loans?

Student loans go just to tuition, so textbooks are extra. Although I believe student loans can cover housing and other fees.

Nowadays, it's easier to find used textbooks online for cheaper prices, but books are still expensive.

21 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Student loans go just to tuition, so textbooks are extra. Although I believe student loans can cover housing and other fees.

Nowadays, it's easier to find used textbooks online for cheaper prices, but books are still expensive.

Here is a lot of money given to the poor. A middle class working family isn’t getting anything but a small gov loan. They then seek private loans. Their basically paying their way and Jamals way twice. Once through taxes and again by paying school grants for the poor. Play around with the fasfa website sometime. A pregnant female or male father gets a shot ton of free money for being irresponsible in ha. Average kid better go to community college or they are going into debt for college. 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

There are plenty of colleges that don’t charge tens and tens of thousands of dollars each year to attend. Racking up $200,000 + in loans and debts isn’t necessary for a degree or a good paying job.