• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Protests and Riots Thread

49 minutes ago, cals said:

I’ll be honest Tank, I didn’t check up on Minnesota’s murder statutes before commenting.  

California’s levels of homicide are a bit different.  Essentially he was convicted of Felony Murder (when someone dies during the commission of a felony.  You can be convicted of this if you are robbing a liquor store and your buddy kills the clerk, or if you are robbing a house and the owner dies of a heart attack out of fear).  The felony was the assault (or rather battery) of the knee to the neck.  The 3rd degree murder is essentially “reckless” behavior that caused a death.  The manslaughter was “negligent” behavior that caused death.  

The terms reckless and negligent are legal terms of art and are basically different levels of bad behavior.  It’s not “intent” as you or I would normally use the word but these different levels are often described by lawyers as level of intent.  In CA, if I recall correctly, 2nd degree murder would be murder without premeditation but with the “intent” to kill the person. Minnesota’s 2nd degree is different than ours.  

Anyways I hope you enjoyed the lesson, next week we will learn whether Larry and St1ck can use the “too many IPAs” defense if they accidentally run over an asian grandma on their way home from an Irvine brewery.

thanks for the explanation (you too, @UndertheHalo).

6 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

i get that the george floyd lionization stuff is annoying and produces a generally inaccurate characterization of the man.  But I mean, you just said that the conviction was appropriate.

I don’t know if I’ve personally heard anyone claim that Chauvin was wrongfully arrested and convicted. It’s obvious his application of force was wrong 

Edited by Jason

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don’t know if I’ve personally heard anyone claim that Chauvin was wrongfully arrested and convicted. It’s obvious his application of force was wrong 

So why does it matter what type of person Floyd was?

7 hours ago, cals said:

Anyways I hope you enjoyed the lesson, next week we will learn whether Larry and St1ck can use the “too many IPAs” defense if they accidentally run over an asian grandma on their way home from an Irvine brewery.

I don’t drive wasted. I’m an Uber connoisseur. 

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

So why does it matter what type of person Floyd was?

It doesn’t when it comes to police use of force. An individual’s known history of the time may be considered when an officer makes contact with said person 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

It doesn’t when it comes to police use of force. An individual’s known history of the time may be considered when an officer makes contact with said person 

That's fine.

In this particular case it's irrelevant. Can you not just say that? I know cals can't because lol but I know you aren't him.

18 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

That's fine.

In this particular case it's irrelevant. Can you not just say that? I know cals can't because lol but I know you aren't him.

I don’t know if they knew his history in this case but even if they did it was irrelevant as his resistance didn’t warrant continued force. No doubt the police, in this case, were unprofessional, used excessive force and violated their own policies. 

8 hours ago, cals said:

I’ll be honest Tank, I didn’t check up on Minnesota’s murder statutes before commenting.  

California’s levels of homicide are a bit different.  Essentially he was convicted of Felony Murder (when someone dies during the commission of a felony.  You can be convicted of this if you are robbing a liquor store and your buddy kills the clerk, or if you are robbing a house and the owner dies of a heart attack out of fear).  The felony was the assault (or rather battery) of the knee to the neck.  The 3rd degree murder is essentially “reckless” behavior that caused a death.  The manslaughter was “negligent” behavior that caused death.  

The terms reckless and negligent are legal terms of art and are basically different levels of bad behavior.  It’s not “intent” as you or I would normally use the word but these different levels are often described by lawyers as level of intent.  In CA, if I recall correctly, 2nd degree murder would be murder without premeditation but with the “intent” to kill the person. Minnesota’s 2nd degree is different than ours.  

I like IPAs. 

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/490/386/

@tdawg87here is the landmark case that requires that a police officer's force to be objectively reasonable. I think if more people understood this there would be less anger, rage and false accusations of racism when ever the cops kill someone.  If a cop uses excessive force then that's on them and they should be held accountable as Chauvin was.