• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Protests and Riots Thread

10 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

Do you want that?

No. I want the police to handle it. If a citizen militia swooped in and put down this rebellion, what would stop any other such group from going in to any place and doing likewise? There’s the potential there for some serious abuse. The last thing we need is armed citizen groups handling work that law enforcement is tasked with doing.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

No. I want the police to handle it. If a citizen militia swooped in and put down this rebellion, what would stop any other such group from going in to any place and doing likewise? There’s the potential there for some serious abuse. The last thing we need is armed citizen groups handling work that law enforcement is tasked with doing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html
You should be prepared to protect yourself and your family. 

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

1. That article is from 2005.

2. WTF @ that decision

3. My parents live in Castle Rock, CO. I wonder if they know their Denver suburb was at the center of a Supreme Court case.

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

1. That article is from 2005.

2. WTF @ that decision

3. My parents live in Castle Rock, CO. I wonder if they know their Denver suburb was at the center of a Supreme Court case.

Yeah it’s from 2005 because that’s when the case was heard. It’s hard to find new articles on 15 year old cases but here’s one reaffirming that. The other is from a 1988 case when the SCOTUS first stated the state does not have a duty to protect. 

https://mises.org/power-market/police-have-no-duty-protect-you-federal-court-affirms-yet-again

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeShaney_v._Winnebago_County

Edited by Jason

Chicago man busted selling $2,700 sweater stolen by looters to undercover cops: report

A Chicago man was charged with theft after allegedly trying to sell undercover police officers a $2,700 sweater looted from an upscale boutique when caravans of people ransacked high-end stores in the city’s commercial districts over a week ago.

Melvin Banks, 29, allegedly posted an ad for the sweater on the mobile marketplace OfferUp. An employee at the Brunello Cucinelli boutique on Rush Street, near Chicago’s Gold Coast district, noticed the sweater online and alerted the Chicago Police Department, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said. It was priced at $2,700 and was stolen by looters who broke in on Aug. 10.

Detectives then used the app to speak with Banks and agreed to purchase the sweater for $800. Banks was arrested by officers who met him at a strip mall near North and Western avenues Monday night, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

“I don’t know how a $2,000 sweater feels, but it must be immaculate, and feels very, very soft, I’m certain. But that’s a little too rich for my blood,” Cook County Judge John Lyke Jr. said after Banks' court hearing on Wednesday.

Chicago’s Magnificent Mile, Gold Coast, and Irving North neighborhoods and neighboring commercial districts were targeted by “car caravans” of people who ransacked high-end stores, such as Saks Fifth Avenue and a Tesla dealership, the night of Aug. 9 into the morning of Aug. 10, Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said at a press conference after the violence subsided.

The Brunello Cucinelli boutique alone sustained $1 million in damages from the looting.

A woman was also charged on Tuesday for allegedly stealing a pair of $1,400 boots from the same boutique and trying to sell them online for $1,100 to undercover police officers.

It was unclear how Banks obtained the stolen sweater. He allegedly told police he was asleep at home the night looting gripped the city and that his girlfriend gave him the sweater for free. The girlfriend’s story conflicted, and she allegedly told police the couple was out of town and her cousin had gifted her the sweater, according to the Times.