• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: MLB draft to air on MLB Network and ESPN

The Major League Baseball draft, which has traditionally been shown only on MLB Network, this year will also be carried by ESPN on June 10-11.

The two networks will both show the first round and the competitive balance round, which cover the first 37 selections. The two broadcasts, which will be independently produced, will begin at 4 p.m. PT. on June 10.

The second day of the draft, on June 11, will be carried by MLB Network and ESPN2, beginning at 2 p.m. PT.

The teams will make their selections via video conference.

The draft will end after only five rounds, instead of the normal 40, a concession to the coronavirus pandemic that has shut down the sport, leaving no amateur baseball games for the teams to scout and reduced revenue for them to use to sign the players.

The deadline for signing draft picks has been moved back to Aug. 1, from July 10. And much of the bonus payments will also be deferred.

Also, there is a limit of $20,000 to sign any non-drafted players, which is likely to result in a free for all as teams fight to grab the hundreds of available players who would have been drafted in a normal season.

View the full article

9 hours ago, Fish Oil said:

Hopefully the Angels will take advantage of that 20K for undrafted players, but I can see this being a Yankee/Dodger free-for-all.

i have the same sense. not just those two teams, but just the same dynamic at play. i'd really love to see the days of that kind of inaction being over for the angels.

17 hours ago, Fish Oil said:

Hopefully the Angels will take advantage of that 20K for undrafted players, but I can see this being a Yankee/Dodger free-for-all.

I don’t know....If the money was the same, I might want to sign with an organization where I felt like I had a clearer path to the bigs.....if the Yanks and Dodgers sign dozens of guys with similar skill sets, I might sign with a team where I had a better shot of progressing thru the system....competition is good but so is opportunity.

1 hour ago, RBM said:

I don't think the money will be the same...

It depends on where you’re projected....if my projection would make me even consider the $20,000 cap, I might sign with a club that doesn’t load up on those type of guys....if I’m a 6-10 round guy and $20,000 is not close to what I should make in a normal draft, I'm going back to school....that was my only point....

43 minutes ago, RBM said:

There will be more D1 players who consider coming back for their Senior year. So there will be confusion in the process and where there is confusion there is profit. I hope the Angels take advantage of the situation and profit. 

Not sure if it's handled differently now but I don't think we will see D1 guys go back for that last year.  Previously anyone that went back for that senior year lost all bargaining power.  College Seniors who didn't sign for whatever was offered used to have to either sit out the season and re-enter the draft or go play independent ball and attempt to reenter the draft.

College Jrs this year are getting a serious shaft if it's still working that way.

26 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not sure if it's handled differently now but I don't think we will see D1 guys go back for that last year.  Previously anyone that went back for that senior year lost all bargaining power.  College Seniors who didn't sign for whatever was offered used to have to either sit out the season and re-enter the draft or go play independent ball and attempt to reenter the draft.

College Jrs this year are getting a serious shaft if it's still working that way.

They're getting an additional year of eligibility.

Just now, RBM said:

HS Seniors are getting squeezed even worse. The 2020’s missed out on their Senior year and many of the kids who would have gone D1 are looking at JuCo now. So the 2020 kids who could have developed as Freshman in JuCo are getting squeezed. 

Yeah, you're probably right.  I was thinking purely from a bargaining position  but HS kids are just shafted all the way around.   Absolutely awful situation.

10 minutes ago, RBM said:

HS Seniors are getting squeezed even worse. The 2020’s missed out on their Senior year and many of the kids who would have gone D1 are looking at JuCo now. So the 2020 kids who could have developed as Freshman in JuCo are getting squeezed. 

HS seniors can still go to D1 schools. 

4 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yep. They can but there are still only so many scholarships. I think it’s 11.7 per team handed out to up to 27 players in increments of .25 or higher. So Some players may return that would not have and there is the squeeze that trickles down to JuCo. 

Scholarship limits have been increased

5 minutes ago, RBM said:

So it went from 11.7 scholarships to 35? I Don’t think that’s possible. Couldn’t find anything to support that number. Source?

I did find this. College baseball is in a tough spot  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-alabama/college/alabama/bamacentral/a-juggling-act-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-college-baseball-scholarships-blackwell

No, up from 27 

It's probably my built in nature as a 50 year Angel fan since birth and the usual curses/pain that entails (2002 excluded), but i just assume the Angels will be cheap and blow any opportunity there is for obtaining as many of the undrafted FAs they can.  Not that the organization is cheap necessarily, money is spent.  But not always well spent.  Certainly opportunities are not taken advantage of by the Angels FO/ownership over the years.  I suspect the big three (LAD, NYY & BOS) to be big winners here.  But also the extremely well run, smart and respected organizations like TB, Stl, etc. I simply have zero faith we will be one of those unfortunately.

47 minutes ago, Fourts said:

It's probably my built in nature as a 50 year Angel fan since birth and the usual curses/pain that entails (2002 excluded), but i just assume the Angels will be cheap and blow any opportunity there is for obtaining as many of the undrafted FAs they can.  Not that the organization is cheap necessarily, money is spent.  But not always well spent.  Certainly opportunities are not taken advantage of by the Angels FO/ownership over the years.  I suspect the big three (LAD, NYY & BOS) to be big winners here.  But also the extremely well run, smart and respected organizations like TB, Stl, etc. I simply have zero faith we will be one of those unfortunately.

It would be hugely disappointing if they don't capitalize on the situation.  This is one of those situations where teams can end up way ahead.  

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

It would be hugely disappointing if they don't capitalize on the situation.  This is one of those situations where teams can end up way ahead.  

And there are 29 other teams looking to do the same.

53 minutes ago, Lou said:

Trout and Rendon are pretty good opportunities.

LOL, I think you missed the point altogether.  Giving someone $245M of nondeferred money is not what i'd classify as an opportunity that you used to take advantage of a situation to your benefit.  It's simply giving a ton of money to a guy.  I love Rendon and can't wait to see him in an Angels uniform.  But we have a long history of throwing money at a problem rather than building from the ground up properly and with a well run organization.  Again, Angels have quite a long history of that culture & failure.        

Is Trout a good opportunity they took and ran with?  Maybe if you want to be a homer and twist facts to make you feel better.  It's also still completely missing the point.  Drafting Adenhart is a prime example of an opportunity and risk the Angels took advantage of properly.  Staying in the draft, recent picks of Adell, CRod and Marsh were times the Angels used the system to their advantage and took risk to their advantage and opportunity.  On the negative, the international side of things for the 2010's might have been the downfall of the Angels farm system and ultimate team failures the past 5+ years.  The what-could-have-been the last couple years is a killer to think about as an Angel fan.  It's pretty clear and easy to see the line dividing the well run organizations versus those that are not.  I'm not saying we are in the latter group -- but we're not (or have not) been in the former either (in-between).  Hopefully we continue the improvements and move ourselves into that small group of well run organizations.  As i said, my personal many years of pain keeps me from believing it until actually seen.  This is an opportunity with the UDFA that we should and need to take advantage.  Let's see what type of organization we are at June/July 2020.  A few big-time slashes and little depth.....or a well rounded and smart organization.