• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can we get any lower?

“Imagine adopting a special needs child from China, naming him Huxley (a crime in itself), exploiting him for sponsorship money and monetized videos, and then ‘rehoming’ him when things got to hard. LIKE HE IS A PET AND NOT AN ACTUAL HUMAN CHILD,” wrote another.

she sounds like an exploiter more than an influencer (another stupid word).

Edited by Tank

My parents sent my brother away to a home when he was 9, and he hasnt been back since.  I would frequently wake up as a child on my neighbors couch, knowing it had meant Jacob (my brother) had a bad night with seizures and had been hospitalized.   There was no cell phone in those days.  I would just sit at the neighbors breakfast table, staring at a full bowl of cereal I didnt have appetite to eat, waiting and hoping that he would come home alive.  It destroyed any sense of normalcy to my whole family, and he deserved to be in a place that had doctors close by, a place that specialized in this kind of thing.

The Camarillo state mental hospital took him in.  There was a home type place on the campus where he really thrived.  Although he is severely autistic and unable to speak, he felt comfortable being in a system, being around medical people.  He was happy to see us but much happier to be there.   When we tried to take him home for visits he would throw a fit, thinking we would take him away from there.  In 1997 the place closed and they moved him to a group home type setting in Camarillo and than Oxnard.   They say that the severely autistic deserve to be out of these kinds of places and into something more "normal".  It went from a jail to a college thereafter.  I had visited the place recently, amongst a friend who had attended the place, telling urban legends about the "loony bin" and the "creepy old building".

I can only recant in that exact place 20 years ago, the last time I saw my brother smile.

Sometimes its better for people to move on, and that kid getting out of that environment is probably a good thing in the end, especially if he has severe autism or something like that.

1 hour ago, notherhalo said:

My parents sent my brother away to a home when he was 9, and he hasnt been back since.  I would frequently wake up as a child on my neighbors couch, knowing it had meant Jacob (my brother) had a bad night with seizures and had been hospitalized.   There was no cell phone in those days.  I would just sit at the neighbors breakfast table, staring at a full bowl of cereal I didnt have appetite to eat, waiting and hoping that he would come home alive.  It destroyed any sense of normalcy to my whole family, and he deserved to be in a place that had doctors close by, a place that specialized in this kind of thing.

The Camarillo state mental hospital took him in.  There was a home type place on the campus where he really thrived.  Although he is severely autistic and unable to speak, he felt comfortable being in a system, being around medical people.  He was happy to see us but much happier to be there.   When we tried to take him home for visits he would throw a fit, thinking we would take him away from there.  In 1997 the place closed and they moved him to a group home type setting in Camarillo and than Oxnard.   They say that the severely autistic deserve to be out of these kinds of places and into something more "normal".  It went from a jail to a college thereafter.  I had visited the place recently, amongst a friend who had attended the place, telling urban legends about the "loony bin" and the "creepy old building".

I can only recant in that exact place 20 years ago, the last time I saw my brother smile.

Sometimes its better for people to move on, and that kid getting out of that environment is probably a good thing in the end, especially if he has severe autism or something like that.

Damn that's rough nother. Hope your brother is doing ok. Sorry to hear that you and your family had to go through that.

Thank you for providing a different perspective. We need more of that in this world.

That's really rough. I'm sorry you and your family went through that. I have the utmost respect for parents, educators, and others who devote their lives to caring for people with special needs. I can't imagine the heartbreak and anguish your parents and family experienced, not to mention the difficulties your brother has faced.

In the case of the couple mentioned in the article, I think people's beef is more than they used the kid to build a following on YouTube and social media before deciding they couldn't take care of him anymore. It seems like they exploited his special needs for their own gain.

Edited by Franklin Bluth

7 minutes ago, Franklin Bluth said:

In the case of the couple mentioned in the article, I think people's beef is more than they used the kid to build a following on YouTube and social media before deciding they couldn't take care of him anymore. It seems like they exploited his special needs for their own gain.

This.  It's not a matter of criticizing someone who needed help or was in over their heads which can happen to anyone.  It's a matter of someone who exploited this person for financial gain then offloaded them like they were an animal or a return at Costco.  It sounds terrible but it reminds me of back in the early 2000's some women wanted a small dog because Paris Hilton had one she carried around in a purse.  Not long after that there was a noticeable uptick in the number of small dogs getting surrendered because those women weren't up to the task of actually taking care of the animal.  Exploiting someone or something for financial gain is obviously much worse than a narcissist who simply wanted to look cute.