• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Random Percival 1996 question

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

That year he had 1 at bat. Anyone know how the heck that happened considering interleague hadn't even started yet? Something crazy must have happened. 

Side note: Percival had  4 at bats with Cardinals thus going 0-5 with 5ks for his career. 

Somewhere deep in my memory I'm pretty sure I watched that game.

I'm sure it was a situation where the team put their DH into the field then brought Percival in for a 4 out save only to see his spot come up with 2 out and the bases loaded (or something like that) in the 9th.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Somewhere deep in my memory I'm pretty sure I watched that game.

I'm sure it was a situation where the team put their DH into the field then brought Percival in for a 4 out save only to see his spot come up with 2 out and the bases loaded (or something like that) in the 9th.

Sounds like some Maddon fuckery

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE199606090.shtml

Bottom of the 9th, Indians Batting, Behind 5-6, Angels' Troy Percival facing 9-1-2

Troy Percival replaces Jack Howell (3B) pitching and batting 5th
Rex Hudler moves from DH to 2B (team loses DH)
Randy Velarde moves from 2B to 3B
b9 5-6 0 --- 3,(0-2)  O CLE Omar Vizquel Troy Percival 10% 87% Groundout: SS-1B
b9 5-6 1 --- 3,(0-2)    CLE Kenny Lofton Troy Percival -10% 76% Single to LF (Line Drive to Deep SS)
b9 5-6 1 1-- 3,(1-1)    CLE Julio Franco Troy Percival -24% 52% Single to RF (Ground Ball); Lofton to 3B
b9 5-6 1 1-3 3,(1-1)  RO CLE Carlos Baerga Troy Percival -9% 43% Flyball: RF/Sacrifice Fly (Deep RF); Lofton Scores
b9 6-6 2 1-- 4,(2-1)  O CLE Albert Belle Troy Percival 7% 50% Flyball: RF
                  1 run, 2 hits, 0 errors, 1 LOB. Angels 6, Indians 6.
Top of the 10th, Angels Batting, Tied 6-6, Indians' Eric Plunk facing 3-4-5
t10 6-6 0 --- 4,(2-1)  O CAL Don Slaught Eric Plunk -7% 43% Groundout: SS-1B
t10 6-6 1 --- 6,(3-2)    CAL Tim Salmon Eric Plunk 6% 50% Single to LF (Ground Ball thru SS-3B Hole)
t10 6-6 1 1-- 3,(0-2)  O CAL Troy Percival Eric Plunk -8% 42% Strikeout Looking

41 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE199606090.shtml

Bottom of the 9th, Indians Batting, Behind 5-6, Angels' Troy Percival facing 9-1-2

Troy Percival replaces Jack Howell (3B) pitching and batting 5th
Rex Hudler moves from DH to 2B (team loses DH)
Randy Velarde moves from 2B to 3B
b9 5-6 0 --- 3,(0-2)  O CLE Omar Vizquel Troy Percival 10% 87% Groundout: SS-1B
b9 5-6 1 --- 3,(0-2)    CLE Kenny Lofton Troy Percival -10% 76% Single to LF (Line Drive to Deep SS)
b9 5-6 1 1-- 3,(1-1)    CLE Julio Franco Troy Percival -24% 52% Single to RF (Ground Ball); Lofton to 3B
b9 5-6 1 1-3 3,(1-1)  RO CLE Carlos Baerga Troy Percival -9% 43% Flyball: RF/Sacrifice Fly (Deep RF); Lofton Scores
b9 6-6 2 1-- 4,(2-1)  O CLE Albert Belle Troy Percival 7% 50% Flyball: RF
                  1 run, 2 hits, 0 errors, 1 LOB. Angels 6, Indians 6.
Top of the 10th, Angels Batting, Tied 6-6, Indians' Eric Plunk facing 3-4-5
t10 6-6 0 --- 4,(2-1)  O CAL Don Slaught Eric Plunk -7% 43% Groundout: SS-1B
t10 6-6 1 --- 6,(3-2)    CAL Tim Salmon Eric Plunk 6% 50% Single to LF (Ground Ball thru SS-3B Hole)
t10 6-6 1 1-- 3,(0-2)  O CAL Troy Percival Eric Plunk -8% 42% Strikeout Looking

Hard to understand why they would let Percival hit in a tie game, with a runner at first and one out in the 10th inning. I'm guessing the team was playing short handed that night, but at no point in the game did they use a backup catcher, reserve outfielder or any backup infielder aside from Jack Howell.