• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Angels aggressively furloughing employees, "raising eyebrows throughout industry"

mmc

5 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Considering most other teams are making every effort to not furlough employees, it makes Angels management look particularly cheap. 

It may be a good financial move, but it’s a sign of being a shitty human being. 

As Ken says, it’s also a bad baseball move for a number of reasons. 

Arte agreeing to buy the stadium and land right before the Pandemic hit probably factored into his furlough decision. 

On 5/23/2020 at 12:51 AM, UndertheHalo said:

It is funny that they’re doing it a few days before the draft lol.  Why not just keep them around for the draft ?  Seems like that might be helpful.  Anyway, probably doesn’t matter much to the guys getting furloughed I guess. 

Furloughed, not fired or laid off. 

Speaking to a member of the Yankees front office, they tell me the Angels doing it this way may mean some of those employees end up ahead due to the in increased unemployment pay .vs forcing the 25-40% pay cuts that some teams have placed on employees across the board.

It's interesting to see Rosenthal play this the way he has if only because some teams are concerned this might work in the Angels favor among some lower paid scouts.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Furloughed, not tired or laid off. 

Speaking to a member of the Yankees front office they tell me the Angels doing it this way may mean some of those employees end up ahead due to the in increased unemployment pay .vs forcing the 25-40% pay cuts that some teams have placed on employees across the board.

It's interesting to see Rosenthal play this the way he is it only because some teams are concerned this might work in the Angels favor among some power paid scouts.

No, I know they aren’t getting shit canned.  I was thinking that about the unemployment as well.  But I do wonder about why they wouldn’t wait until after the draft.  What do I know. 

13 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

No, I know they aren’t getting shit canned.  I was thinking that about the unemployment as well.  But I do wonder about why they wouldn’t wait until after the draft.  What do I know. 

Yep....  I get it.

We will see how cheap Arte went if the draft comes and goes and they end up signing less than 40 or so players.  This situation is one they should take advantage of to try to add guys ... If they dont.... Stupid.

To be honest I believe Arte WILL cheap out, Claude brings up the stadium issue and I agree that it will likely be a factor.

Not taking advantage this year will be like sitting on their hands after signing Baldoquin when the rules were changing.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Speaking to a member of the Yankees front office, they tell me the Angels doing it this way may mean some of those employees end up ahead due to the in increased unemployment pay .vs forcing the 25-40% pay cuts that some teams have placed on employees across the board.

Nobody here wants to hear that, pal. 

Now move along. 

@Inside Pitch what are area scouts doing right now when no baseball is being played?  Are they the scouts that would watch private work outs?  Or are private workouts attended by guys higher up the food chain?  Could they be the ones counted on to create relationships with the players in order to entice them to sign for the $20k, or is that ground work already laid?  

I’m wondering if it would have been better to wait on the furloughing until after the players from this draft have been signed.   
Amateurs will likely not be playing baseball until HS and college seasons start up in February 2021, as summer leagues have likely been cancelled? 

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Furloughed, not fired or laid off. 

It's interesting to see Rosenthal play this the way he is it only because some teams are concerned this might work in the Angels favor among some lower paid scouts.

Its contributions like this that interfere with the negative narratives.  Can you be more proactive and post earlier in the thread next time?

8 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

They may have waited until they had a draft plan and subsequent after draft plan developed.  I am assuming, with no inside knowledge, that once the plan was in place, the Angels believed that they could help their employees more by furloughing them instead of cutting their wages.

I posted this in another thread, but furloughing employees does give them the option to collect unemployment and retain their job security. My older brother is in a senior management position at an entertainment company. His whole company was furloughed, and he's been able to collect 90% of his pay through unemployment. He said that the employees who work for him are actually collecting more than their salary because of the increased unemployment.

Hopefully I'm not just being biased, and the Angels do treat these employees fairly when the time comes for reactivating their jobs. But furloughs are better than layoffs.

27 minutes ago, Franklin Bluth said:

I posted this in another thread, but furloughing employees does give them the option to collect unemployment and retain their job security. My older brother is in a senior management position at an entertainment company. His whole company was furloughed, and he's been able to collect 90% of his pay through unemployment. He said that the employees who work for him are actually collecting more than their salary because of the increased unemployment.

Hopefully I'm not just being biased, and the Angels do treat these employees fairly when the time comes for reactivating their jobs. But furloughs are better than layoffs.

I've seen a few posts like this, and something just doesn't seem right to me regarding the math of it all.  Unless I'm mistaken, the most you can get in CA (and probably anywhere) on a weekly basis from unemployment is about $450.  Then you can also potentially get the $600/week extra payment for some period of time.  So we're looking at a max of about $1,050/week for a number of weeks.   Annualized, that's about $55K.  What "senior management" or other executive job (especially in the entertainment industry, which is my field, as well) pays $60K a year ($55K is about 90% of $60K)?

Am I missing something regarding how much people are able to collect on unemployment?  I'm not saying people are making up things (though who knows, maybe some are?)--I'm just trying to understand.  Thanks in advance.

EDIT:  Looks like CA is actually middle-of-the-pack in terms of maximum UE weekly payout.  Massachusetts lets you get up to $1220/week in some cases. 

Edited by jsnpritchett