• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Top 5 Angels Catchers of all-time

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

This

I did find myself going back and forth on Rodgers vs Molina for 2nd spot.

I picked Rodgers over Molina because he was a better hitter, and a switch hitter. I think most members of this site were not even a twinkle in their daddy's eye back in the early 60's, so they never got to see the early Angel players. They pick from who they have seen. Me, i have seen them all.

2 hours ago, greginpsca said:

I picked Rodgers over Molina because he was a better hitter, and a switch hitter. I think most members of this site were not even a twinkle in their daddy's eye back in the early 60's, so they never got to see the early Angel players. They pick from who they have seen. Me, i have seen them all.

Was Lance Parrish good?

I just remember him from an old Nintendo baseball video game.

Parrish made one ASG with the Angels. He was probably beginning his decline phase when he got here. He was a good catcher in his era: pretty good glove, decent offense. I remember he had a cool nickname: The Big Wheel.

I think this list shows that the Halos don't have much good history at that particular position. Also shows how hard it still is to find a good catcher. I have no problem with it except for Downing's inclusion.

Edited by Jeremiah
Added a thought

The game was played different when Boone played versus when Bengie played.  Boone was a very good catch and throw guy and also did the little things with the bat that would have given Scioscia a boner for six months.  Buck Rodgers was before my time.  Downing was my first favorite player, and didn’t realize he only caught his first two years here.  So for me it would go:

Boone

Bengie

Downing

Parrish

Napoli

Mathis

Todd Greene

John Orton 

Ed Ott

Fabregas

the other Molina

Iannetta

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The game was played different when Boone played versus when Bengie played.  Boone was a very good catch and throw guy and also did the little things with the bat that would have given Scioscia a boner for six months.  Buck Rodgers was before my time.  Downing was my first favorite player, and didn’t realize he only caught his first two years here.  So for me it would go:

Boone

Bengie

Downing

Parrish

Napoli

Mathis

Todd Greene

John Orton 

Ed Ott

Fabregas

the other Molina

Iannetta

Iannetta wasn't that bad. 6 WAR with the Angels. 

Not a good list.

@Brandon, Lance Parrish was a bad-ass for the Tigers in the 80s, probably the second best catcher of that decade after Gary Carter. He had a couple off years for the Phillies and was in obvious decline, so the Angels did what they always did during that era: sign a declining former All-star in his 30s. Looking at the numbers, he did have one really good bounce-back year in 1990 and was decent enough in 89 and 91.

Rodgers was the catcher for the first decade of the franchise. His entire career spanned  1961-1969. Lifetime 3.4 WAR, 232 BA. Not much to show in his numbers, but he was a solid, all around receiver on an expansion team who managed to keep his job for the decade while the rest of the roster was always being changed. 

And as a manager with the Expos in the eighties he was ok. Not great, but respectable. Also colorful and quotable.

Molina had the best pure catching tools. By far, of any Angel. Parrish was a better than average catcher in slow decline. Downing and Boone were fairly decent too, but had their peak years elsewhere. Parrish in his prime would have been the franchise best if he was with the Angels.

8 hours ago, DMVol said:

Boone was 34 when he signed with the Angels...he was a key part of the 82 and 86 pennant winners....but for my money, all things considered, Bengi tops the list....came up through the organization and was a key part of the early to mid 2000's teams that won a lot of ballgames...

Plus his brother was cooler than boone's.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Not a good list.

@Brandon, Lance Parrish was a bad-ass for the Tigers in the 80s, probably the second best catcher of that decade after Gary Carter. He had a couple off years for the Phillies and was in obvious decline, so the Angels did what they always did during that era: sign a declining former All-star in his 30s. Looking at the numbers, he did have one really good bounce-back year in 1990 and was decent enough in 89 and 91.

Soooo freakin true

That was our calling card after about 89 or so

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Soooo freakin true

That was our calling card after about 89 or so

Well the entire 79-86 run was largely built on imports, but there some really good ones. After 1986, Grich retired, Carew had left the year before, and DeCinces was on his last legs, and the youth movement--Joyner, White, Howell, Schofield, McLemore, etc--wasn't quite as good as hoped, so they turned back to free agency and started a run of signing a ridiculous number of aging former all-stars. A sampling: Dave Winfield, Tony Armas, Bill Buckner, Gary Gaetti, Kelly Gruber, Bert Blyleven, Claudell Washington, Dave Parker, Fernando Valenzuela, Von Hayes, Hubie Brooks, Alvin Davis, and others.

Lance Parrish actually worked out decently well, and Chili Davis was really good in two stints, probably my favorite Angel bridging Joyner and Salmon.

Edited by Angelsjunky