• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best Angels SS all-time

9 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I understand how Fregosi is the obvious choice here based on WAR and overall stats, but I wasn't old enough to watch him play. 

I am, he was damn good and I was shocked when the Angels traded him but when you look back at the trade the Angels got four players for him. That gives you an idea of how his worth was perceived back then, even after a down year. 

Frank Estrada was a 23 year old prospect catcher.

Don Rose a 24 year old prospect pitcher.

Leroy Stanton a 24 year old prospect pitcher. 

Nolan Ryan a 24 year old pitcher with a blazing fastball but control issues.

Only Ryan panned out but the haul was substantial for Fregosi. But the downside was Ryan had 7 different starting shortstops during his tenure with the Angels and not a single one of them was worth a damn. 

From 2001 through today the Angels have had four shortstops and all have been good to excellent. Eckstein, Cabrerra, Aybar and Simmons. That is a very stable passing of the torch that Ryan never saw as an Angel and not until Dock Schoefield in 1984 did the Angels lock down that position for multiple seasons. 

It really makes me wonder if Simmons walks can the Angels can keep their streak alive, keeping the hot corner hot. 

40 minutes ago, stormngt said:

With Aybar listed as a top 5 and ahead of Simmons, let's reminisce about the good ald days when this board was full of Aybar sucks posts and free Brandon Wood posts.

It is funny to think about those days, back when Aybar was considered a lower upside prospect. He was probably underrated due to the constant comparisons to Wood.

Working on all-time Angels list and have created formula for all-time roster.  Here are my top 10 shortstops based on this as of now "secret formula."

1. Jim Fregosi

2. Erick Aybar

3. Andrelton Simmons

4. Orlando Cabrera

5. David Eckstein

6. Maicer Izturis

7. Dick Schofield

8. Gary Disarcina

9. Dave Chalk

10. Rick Burleson

On 5/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, Blarg said:

I am, he was damn good and I was shocked when the Angels traded him but when you look back at the trade the Angels got four players for him. That gives you an idea of how his worth was perceived back then, even after a down year. 

Only Ryan panned out but the haul was substantial for Fregosi. But the downside was Ryan had 7 different starting shortstops during his tenure with the Angels and not a single one of them was worth a damn. 

From 2001 through today the Angels have had four shortstops and all have been good to excellent. Eckstein, Cabrerra, Aybar and Simmons. That is a very stable passing of the torch that Ryan never saw as an Angel and not until Dock Schoefield in 1984 did the Angels lock down that position for multiple seasons. 

It really makes me wonder if Simmons walks can the Angels can keep their streak alive, keeping the hot corner hot. 

Stanton was an OF, best year with halos in 1975. Drafted by Seattle in 1976 expansion and had his best year in 1977,

On 5/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, Blarg said:

Lee Stanton was a solid rightfielder for us for about 5 years.  He even led the club in homeruns one year with 14!