Sign in to follow this  
Adam

ten ocho recon scout

Recommended Posts

Do you ever just plow ahead into a case without telling your partner what you’re doing or where you’re going? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, notherhalo said:

Can cops moonlight as investigators and use police databases for info?     

Does a PI or general public have access to the same info given they know where to look?

My senior citizen father rented a guesthouse to what I think is a dangerous scumbag but I dont know how to verify.  Can't evict anyone right now.

Not legally... at least as far as I know.

Everyone I run has an audit attachment, so I have to enter my name and badge, and reason for running them. Cops have actually been fired for abusing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lou said:

Does your CO ever tell you to back off of an investigation but you you go ahead on your own and solve the case and become the hero?

 

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Have you ever jumped from one rooftop to another while chasing a perp?

And when the bad guy gets away, i empty my magazine in the air, screaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2020 at 1:22 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Do you have a disappointed wife back at home, who's tired of playing second fiddle to the job?

did.....

before the academy, they asked the room who was married. A bunch of us raised our hands. They took note..... and said "2 years from now, about 70 percent of you wont be."

Bullshit! Lol, i thought.

It didnt take 2 years.....

 

 

 

 

The first 3 years or so, with the academy, field training and probation are rough on homelife... youre never home, goofy hours, super stressed out, etc.

 

Only guys who made it where those with stay at home wives. All the guys with a wife or girlfriend who had a real job were all single within a year after the academy.

Funny enough, my academy started with 63 recruits. We graduated with i think 29

Maybe 9 of us made it to the 10 year mark. 

This is why PDs are always hiring.... the attrition rate is really high. 

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Have you ever been told to wait for back up but when in the expected criminals house and took on six people and lived to tell about it? 

And to be fair, I have some even dumber than that stories....

With experience you get wisdom... but instinct and adrenaline make you do stupid shit sometimes when the tunnel vision is going.

 

 

 

What about that time i climbed a building (tall building, but was still in fresh out of the academy shape) to set up a perimeter for a homicide suspect....

And while waiting, i couldnt hold it, so hid from public view, and started wizzing off the roof.....

 

 

 

 

...... and the circling airship called out "officer on the roof.... he'sssss..... right below you....."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 4:33 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

What about that time i climbed a building (tall building, but was still in fresh out of the academy shape) to set up a perimeter for a homicide suspect....

And while waiting, i couldnt hold it, so hid from public view, and started wizzing off the roof.....

 

 

 

 

...... and the circling airship called out "officer on the roof.... he'sssss..... right below you....."

Follow up question - did you get in trouble for pissing on a suspect or did you just blame it on the marine layer? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Follow up question - did you get in trouble for pissing on a suspect or did you just blame it on the marine layer? 

When the airship made fun of my lack of endowment, I absolutely blamed the marine layer.

They call me warning track at work now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tank said:

how often do you see kids trying to leave gangs, and what happens to them?

Not too often, to be honest....

I worked gangs for a bit. Thats all i ever wanted to do. Too many guys want to be supervisors.... i hate admin types.

Some guys want to be detectives. Too boring. Some guys want to be motors. Way too lame.

I was always a gang guy. 

You deal with some absolute assholes. But sometimes you deal with guys who are pretty decent. Some even really intelligent. And its hard not to like them.

I can think of maybe one I truly got through to, and who walked away from it. I actually had a few approach me over the years with smiles, saying they werent messing around anymore (they were... just not hardcore anymore).

But most never get out. They just get too old and sort of grow out of it. 

The younger they are the harder it is to get through to them. But then the older ones, who were for real, wont ever get out either. Especially the hardcore ones. 

Usually, the only way out, is:

1. You grow out of it.... run away to Riverside or somewhere they never see you anymore.

2. Killed

3. Prison

But even those guys are still in....

So then the last...

4. You get the boot

This happens a lot. You piss somebody off, and now the neighborhood doesnt like you... at that point youre OUT OUT. then you really move away.

.... the dumb ones move, and still do criminal shit.... and go back to jail.... now with a ranker label. Meaning youre no good anymore.... meaning youre gonna get taxed inside by your own people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a pursuit once with a neighboring agency. Vehicle flipped over.

Theres a hostage in the trunk.

Suspects phone keeps ringing...

Voicemails on the phone, telling suspect where to bury the hostage in the trunk.... hole already dug, and suspect better not F*ck this up...

We traced the call.... it was coming from inside Chino Prison....

So even when we lock these guys up, we just slow them down, we arent stopping them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Another story just popped into my head, going back to @Adams first question about crazy shit.

One night, a group of gangsters from west side of south central, super violent gang, came to our city. Its pretty common for LA gangsters to come to OC to rip people off, because we dont know them out here.

Anyway, they somehow find this cul de sac, middle of nowhere. Rich, rich people.

They spend hours there.... did FIVE home invasions on the same block...

Finally one person gets loose and calls us.

Obviously huge crime.

 

The small world payoff.

LAPD has a unit that does surveillance. They had already been watching these guys for awhile, but cant do it 24 hours a day.

When they pick up surveillance again a day later, they catch one of the suspects dumping property in a dumpster in Inglewood.

One of the LAPD guys does jiujitsu with one of my partners, who randomly mentions our caper.

LAPD guy is like "you know, we found a drivers license in a dumpster with some lady from your city a few days ago...."

 

 

 

 

If they had never been watching those guys, and these two guys didnt happen to go to the same jiujitsu place........

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Another story just popped into my head, going back to @Adams first question about crazy shit.

One night, a group of gangsters from west side of south central, super violent gang, came to our city. Its pretty common for LA gangsters to come to OC to rip people off, because we dont know them out here.

Anyway, they somehow find this cul de sac, middle of nowhere. Rich, rich people.

They spend hours there.... did FIVE home invasions on the same block...

Finally one person gets loose and calls us.

Obviously huge crime.

 

The small world payoff.

LAPD has a unit that does surveillance. They had already been watching these guys for awhile, but cant do it 24 hours a day.

When they pick up surveillance again a day later, they catch one of the suspects dumping property in a dumpster in Inglewood.

One of the LAPD guys does jiujitsu with one of my partners, who randomly mentions our caper.

LAPD guy is like "you know, we found a drivers license in a dumpster with some lady from Orange a few days ago...."

 

 

 

 

If they had never been watching those guys, and these two guys didnt happen to go to the same jiujitsu place........

There was stuff like this going on a couple winters ago in the San Gabriel Valley.  Gangsters from South Central would rent a car, so paper plates couldn't be read, and they would wear masks and enter homes where they suspected the homeowners had a lot of cash and/or jewelry.  I think it was mostly Asian families hit IIRC.  I guess they finally got a break b/c Sheriff Dept connected with LAPD who knew all the suspects.  I just remember my parents freaking out, sleeping with all the outdoor lights on to make it as uncomfortable as possible for this crew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this