• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best GM in Angels history

mmc

Best GM in Angels history?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Best GM in Angels history?

• Fred Haney
    • Dick Walsh
    • Harry Dalton
    • Buzzie Bavasi
    • Mike Port
    • Dan O'Brien
    • Whitey Herzog
    • Bill Bavasi
    • Bill Stoneman
    • Tony Reagins
    • Jerry Dipoto
    • Billy Eppler

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It's Bavasi, based on the talent on the 2002 World Series Team.  

Bavasi was the farm director when guys like Salmon,GA,Percy, DiSar,Fabregas were drafted. I have felt he was a much better farm director than a GM. After the Angels, he was the Dog’s farm director for awhile. He did a pretty good job there, before becoming the Mariners GM. That is why I picked Stoneman as the best GM. I felt that he was really good at finding pitchers. 2nd place I would give Fred Haney. He did well at making an expansion team competitive in such a short time.

Bavasi. It can be debated whether his contributions were more significant as a scouting director or GM. It was largely the talent his department drafted that won in 2002. He also had the foresight to lock the key guys into contracts earlier in their careers, keeping the core group together.

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Bavasi was the farm director when guys like Salmon,GA,Percy, DiSar,Fabregas were drafted. I have felt he was a much better farm director than a GM. After the Angels, he was the Dog’s farm director for awhile. He did a pretty good job there, before becoming the Mariners GM. That is why I picked Stoneman as the best GM. I felt that he was really good at finding pitchers. 2nd place I would give Fred Haney. He did well at making an expansion team competitive in such a short time.

Fabregas?

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It's funny that Stoneman is the clear favorite in this poll. I remember everyone hating him when he was the GM.

It’s probably because people think he had more to do with the young talent on 2002.   That was all Bavasi.   That being said I’d take Stoneman.   He’s Eppler with less money to spend.  Just exchange drafting Weaver with drafting Adell.  

On 5/20/2020 at 2:52 PM, Lou said:

Fabregas?

Yeah, He made his way up the chain to the bigs. There were others in that group, but i would have to look it up. Ahh,Another was Tony Perez' son. Though he was traded away before he got to the majors.

2 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Yeah, He made his way up the chain to the bigs. There were others in that group, but i would have to look it up. Ahh,Another was Tony Perez' son. Though he was traded away before he got to the majors.

Eduardo

On 5/21/2020 at 1:29 PM, Stradling said:

It’s probably because people think he had more to do with the young talent on 2002.   That was all Bavasi.   That being said I’d take Stoneman.   He’s Eppler with less money to spend.  Just exchange drafting Weaver with drafting Adell.  

Nope...

Bob Fontaine Jr. was the brains in the farm... He was running the drafts from 87 on.  Thats the guy you should be praising.

Bavasi was a personal favorite of Jackie Autry's who happened to have a father and brother who were good at GMing MLB teams.  His best attribute while GM of the Angels was letting other people do their jobs and being universally liked.  Even his biggest critics within the organization liked him.  

But Bavasi was 100% responsible for the rot in the organization and his unwillingness to lead allowed the Collins situation to grow completely out of hand.  His resigning was the second best thing that's ever happened to this franchise.