• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Popular movies you've never seen

By the way, for those who have seen it, or those who will. Brando is phenom in this, at least his character. 

The point being whereas he "decided" the war, as was being fought, was pointless. So he went and did it more effectively.

As someone who works in an industry with contradictions, fuzzy rules of engagement, etc, I dig on his ramblings.

"We train young men to drop fire on people..... but their commanders wont allow them to write F*ck on their airplanes, because its obscene!" 

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Apocalypse Now is starting now (get it?) on HBO.

Those of you who havent seen it, need to.

"I saw... a snail...... crawl along the edge..... of a straight razor. Thats my dream..... thats my nightmare. Crawling.... slithering... along the edge of a straight razor....."

Classic line.

Colonel Kurtz (Marlon Brando) was a great role.

8 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

"I saw... a snail...... crawl along the edge..... of a straight razor. Thats my dream..... thats my nightmare. Crawling.... slithering... along the edge of a straight razor....."

my dream involves christie brinkley and room service, but that's a story for another time.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

All James Bond films

All Harry Potter movies

so how are we doing with watching disney movies?

i recall statements to the effect that they were not going to be present in the dodge household.

8 minutes ago, Tank said:

so how are we doing with watching disney movies?

i recall statements to the effect that they were not going to be present in the dodge household.

I watched Aladin, and thought it was pretty decent. I like Will Smith, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I got about 10 minutes into The Lion King before turning it off. Shame too because Jon Favreau's Jungle Book was well done and kicked started Disney's cash grab with this trend.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

in apocalypse now there's a scene where they kill a bull of some kind. i always wondered how they got away with doing that. anyone know the story? am i misremembering?

Theres a great documentary on the making of the movie. It was allowed, if I remember correctly, because they filmed an actual ceremony of some sort overseas and incorporated it in the movie, as opposed to just writing it in. 

10 hours ago, Tank said:

in apocalypse now there's a scene where they kill a bull of some kind. i always wondered how they got away with doing that. anyone know the story? am i misremembering?

The carabao that was slaughtered was part of the payment to the locals for filming on their land. The slaughter was from a ceremony they perform and Coppola decided to film it and use it

17 hours ago, arch stanton said:

The carabao that was slaughtered was part of the payment to the locals for filming on their land. The slaughter was from a ceremony they perform and Coppola decided to film it and use it

That scene caused me to never watch the film again. I hoped it was somehow fake.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:35 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Theres a great documentary on the making of the movie. It was allowed, if I remember correctly, because they filmed an actual ceremony of some sort overseas and incorporated it in the movie, as opposed to just writing it in. 

If I remember correctly Coppola was having trouble figuring out how to end the movie when his wife, who was filming the doc 'Hearts of Darkness' where this story comes from, came home and told him about the ceremony with the bull that was going to be done. He decided to film it and the rest is history.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:52 AM, ten ocho recon scout said:

By the way, for those who have seen it, or those who will. Brando is phenom in this, at least his character. 

The point being whereas he "decided" the war, as was being fought, was pointless. So he went and did it more effectively.

As someone who works in an industry with contradictions, fuzzy rules of engagement, etc, I dig on his ramblings.

"We train young men to drop fire on people..... but their commanders wont allow them to write F*ck on their airplanes, because its obscene!" 

Coppola set out to make something more than just a 'war' movie... as he says, the movie wasn't about Vietnam, it was Vietnam. There is so much subtext about American ideals, power, imperialism, exploitation, I'm sure a bunch more. The extended 'Redux' edition is not as good of a film - it's a bit bloated - but it expands upon a bunch of these ideas even further with the French plantation and the playboy bunnies. 

I know we all love 'The Wire' on here and I've always considered Apocalypse Now to be something of a Vietnam era theatrical equivalent to the show. They cover a lot of related ground in very different ways.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:51 AM, Adam said:

All James Bond films

All Harry Potter movies

goldfinger is great, check that one out.

also thunderball.

no way could hollywood ever make them anymore. the jokes and innuendos, and he's such a mysoginist it's hilarious. i mean the chick's name is literally "Pussy Galore."