• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No longer eligible HOF players

2 hours ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Whitaker absolutely should be in. Grich should probably be in. Lofton probably shouldn't, but he wouldn't be the worst player to make it,

How is Whitaker a HOF? HIs line is good but nothing great.( WAR 75.1, H 2369, HR 244, BA .276, RBI 1084,). I mean I am not arguing but explain how this deserves HOF.

3 hours ago, Mark PT said:

How is Whitaker a HOF? HIs line is good but nothing great.( WAR 75.1, H 2369, HR 244, BA .276, RBI 1084,). I mean I am not arguing but explain how this deserves HOF.

75 WAR is the 8th best in history for a 2nd basemen. He had a great. 363 OBP, 420 doubles, 65 triples and one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in history. 

16 hours ago, happybat4 said:

75 WAR is the 8th best in history for a 2nd basemen. He had a great. 363 OBP, 420 doubles, 65 triples and one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in history. 

Good stats but again I just dont think its HOF. I guess its a matter of opinion but for me, 8th best WAR (his most gleaming stat) is his only stat that is really HOF worthy.

35 minutes ago, Mark PT said:

Good stats but again I just dont think its HOF. I guess its a matter of opinion but for me, 8th best WAR (his most gleaming stat) is his only stat that is really HOF worthy.

I think if your the 8th best player at your position in history, you deserve the HOF. Nolan Ryan is the 31st best pitcher ever, yet he is in thr HOF easily. 

Whitaker is hurt by the fact he did everything really well. To voters he would have been better off if he had a few huge holes, but also did other stuff very well. For instance he walked to much for HOF voters. He would have been better off walking less and getting more hits. 

3 hours ago, happybat4 said:

I think if your the 8th best player at your position in history, you deserve the HOF. Nolan Ryan is the 31st best pitcher ever, yet he is in thr HOF easily. 

Whitaker is hurt by the fact he did everything really well. To voters he would have been better off if he had a few huge holes, but also did other stuff very well. For instance he walked to much for HOF voters. He would have been better off walking less and getting more hits. 

Dont get me wrong, I acknowledge your opinion and it is a matter of choice but Ryan has historical records that will never be broken. I guess I want a player to have reached some HOF recognized stats, such as 3000 hits, 400-500 steals, 500 HR etc...

4 hours ago, Mark PT said:

Dont get me wrong, I acknowledge your opinion and it is a matter of choice but Ryan has historical records that will never be broken. I guess I want a player to have reached some HOF recognized stats, such as 3000 hits, 400-500 steals, 500 HR etc...

That's my point, he did everything very well, but nothing great. He would have been better off with less walks, less extra base hits and only went for singles so he could have had 3000 hits. Ryan had historic strike outs, but he also walked a ton of batters. Would Ryan have been a better pitcher if he struck out less batters, but also walked less?

12 hours ago, happybat4 said:

That's my point, he did everything very well, but nothing great. He would have been better off with less walks, less extra base hits and only went for singles so he could have had 3000 hits. Ryan had historic strike outs, but he also walked a ton of batters. Would Ryan have been a better pitcher if he struck out less batters, but also walked less?

I get your point, no argument with it. Maybe I am biased toward wanting only record holding type stats for the hall.