• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Top 5 Angels RF of all-time list

7 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Abreu is pretty underrated. At his peak in philly, he was a monster. And STILL underrated. I think its because there were so many steroid induced power numbers going on, so a 30/30 guy wasnt as big of a deal at the time. 

Also, as mentioned previously, Vlad takes a huge hit for his defensive numbers. His errors alone probably counter a seasons worth of his offensive numbers. He also didn't age gracefully. 

On 5/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, DMVol said:

How do you figure that? Vlad played in the post season on 7 Angel teams...Salmon played on 3...

Thats because in the 2000s we had far better pitching, a rock solid bullpen, and Oakland and the mariners fell off. So we were a better team.

Vlad had 04/05, but to be fair, most of the big names on those teams were either hurt or past prime (salmon, GA and glaus). Then late he had Torii for a year.

Salmon played on teams with no pitching, but had guys like chili, edmonds, GA when he peaked, glaus, vaugn etc etc. When salmon got older he had vlad, still ga, glaus etc

This is a tough one. Vlad  had better numbers, but Salmon was home grown, spent his entire career with the Angels, and has a ring. Salmon was Rookie of the Year and was really the face of the franchise right when the Angels were making a name for themselves. I gotta go Salmon.

On 5/16/2020 at 2:22 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Abreu is pretty underrated. At his peak in philly, he was a monster. And STILL underrated. I think its because there were so many steroid induced power numbers going on, so a 30/30 guy wasnt as big of a deal at the time. 

I think you're right - his best years were during the steroid era, and counting stats was what still made everyone moist.

But from 98-2010, he put 59 oWAR during that span - and it that OBP that really stuck out.. 

image.png.688e81266099443c1243ba3716aab2cb.png

Similarly valued in WAR, etc. Abreu's and Vlad's offensive values came in different ways - coarsely, Vlad hit his way on-base, Abreu walked - a lot.  Walks are boring to most - Vlad was a more exciting player to watch.     

A solid, useful player - he didn't have the outlandish, visible talents that Vlad had - but when you look at runs scored, they were both right at 100 runs a year for their career.  

I'd love to have someone like him hitting in front of Trout.  

On 5/17/2020 at 6:04 PM, DCAngelsFan said:

I think you're right - his best years were during the steroid era, and counting stats was what still made everyone moist.

But from 98-2010, he put 59 oWAR during that span - and it that OBP that really stuck out.. 

image.png.688e81266099443c1243ba3716aab2cb.png

Similarly valued in WAR, etc. Abreu's and Vlad's offensive values came in different ways - coarsely, Vlad hit his way on-base, Abreu walked - a lot.  Walks are boring to most - Vlad was a more exciting player to watch.     

A solid, useful player - he didn't have the outlandish, visible talents that Vlad had - but when you look at runs scored, they were both right at 100 runs a year for their career.  

I'd love to have someone like him hitting in front of Trout.  

Yep. Abreu had his own power, but he was the perfect compliment to a bigger bat threat. PERFECT.

Got on base like crazy, younger years he was a great baserunner, etc. Even old abreu could steal. Its not how fast, but knowing when, how to get a jump, etc.