• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Major League Baseball Season Updates Thread

Chuck

Snell's comments are pretty ignorant, dude is actually being quoted as saying he should get his full season's pay regardless of how many games they actually play in some of the articles I've read.  That's a quick way to make yourself out to be the bad guy.... 

I think I've conditioned myself to believe there will not be any baseball this season.   Beyond the politics and everything else, I don't believe there is any way the MLBPA will agree to a percentage of the profits.  The union has always said the one thing they would never do is agree to a salary cap, what ownership is offering is effectively a salary cap.   That's one hill they will happily die on IMO.

The June draft may end up being the closest thing we get to enjoying baseball in 2020.

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Snell's comments are pretty ignorant, dude is actually being quoted as saying he should get his full season's pay regardless of how many games they actually play in some of the articles I've read.  That's a quick way to make yourself out to be the bad guy.... 

I think I've conditioned myself to believe there will not be any baseball this season.   Beyond the politics and everything else, I don't believe there is any way the MLBPA will agree to a percentage of the profits.  The union has always said the one thing they would never do is agree to a salary cap, what ownership is offering is effectively a salary cap.   That's one hill they will happily die on IMO.

The June draft may end up being the closest thing we get to enjoying baseball in 2020.

He’s probably not the only player who feels that way. Playing baseball with no fans during a pandemic is more out of desperation than a necessity.
Manfred says that the owners stand to lose a combined $4B if baseball is not played in 2020. That’s about $130M each. 

Edited by RendZone

Just now, m0nkey said:

They wouldn’t lose $4B. That much money isn’t coming out of their pockets if baseball isn’t played. Does each team have $130M of expenses if there’s no season?

Would it be that surprising?  Veteran  players are getting paid $4500 a day for a couple of months.  Paying the front office and stadium workers. Keeping the fields in top shape, plus spring training facilities.  

Did we ever get to the bottom of whether or not TV contracts are being paid if they aren’t playing games?

46 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

They wouldn’t lose $4B. That much money isn’t coming out of their pockets if baseball isn’t played. Does each team have $130M of expenses if there’s no season?

yep. it's like the old gov't trick of budgeting. "last year we got a 5% increase in school lunch money. this year the budget only gave us a 3% increase. SCHOOL LUNCH FUNDING WAS CUT BY 2%!!! This president hates children!!"

57 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Would it be that surprising?  Veteran  players are getting paid $4500 a day for a couple of months.  Paying the front office and stadium workers. Keeping the fields in top shape, plus spring training facilities.  

Did we ever get to the bottom of whether or not TV contracts are being paid if they aren’t playing games?

In TOTAL, all players from MLB are getting paid $170 million through May 24.  Yes, most teams have been paying their front office/stadium workers through May, but some are starting to furlough employees beginning in June (Marlins, Reds) and have staff take pay cuts (Mariners).  These are teams I can think of without researching, there may be more.

I'm just having trouble coming up with $4B in expenses if there are no games played.

7 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

In TOTAL, all players from MLB are getting paid $170 million through May 24.  Yes, most teams have been paying their front office/stadium workers through May, but some are starting to furlough employees beginning in June (Marlins, Reds) and have staff take pay cuts (Mariners).  These are teams I can think of without researching, there may be more.

I'm just having trouble coming up with $4B in expenses if there are no games played.

https://amp.tmz.com/2020/05/15/rob-manfred-mlb-owners-4-billion-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-season/

2 hours ago, RendZone said:

He’s probably not the only player who feels that way. Playing baseball with no fans during a pandemic is more out of desperation than a necessity.
Manfred says that the owners stand to lose a combined $4B if baseball is not played in 2020. That’s about $130M each. 

Yeah, Manfred is there to be the mouthpiece for ownership so, it's to be expected he would lie through his teeth and claim massive losses.   

More likely than not he's talking about monies not earned as "losses", if they were actual losses then you'd actually see ownership be willing to share their books for the first time ever.   Gonna be super neat for any of the teams sold in the last few years when they work those depreciation figures to account for those 2020 losses.

Not making 7 billion doesn't meant 4 billion in losses. 

I cant find anything on the TV deal issue, but at this point i am becoming very doubtful we will get a season.   what other source of income would thier be after all?  of significant value anyway.   No fans, no souvenirs, no concessions... just broadcast. 
Im generally pro player, i like most of us generally believe the owners make FAR more than they admit, but.. in this case in wondering where that is supposed to come from.   

To be fair i also think that at this point the players are FAR overpayed, this isnt 20-30 years ago, they have more or less all the power anymore and journeymen are getting paid more than most of us so, im having issues feeling sorry for either side these days. 

One season, one darned season i think the players could put the egos on the shelf, and use it in the next CBA instead of playing this game, that i could understand.  

At this point it seems like the players want it both ways... being unwilling to even discuss options, for one unusual season, that likely means we wont even have one, is hard to swallow. 

I ain't holding my still-COVID-free breath for the start of a shambles of an 82-game season in July. 

My concern at this point is getting my refund from MLB.TV or a full credit for 2021.

I recall the Trout comments about red flags in the plans being thrown about a few weeks ago. This plan appears to have the same red flags.

There is unlikely to be any major public sports or entertainment events in California, Washington, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts or New York before 2021. It's pointless without effective prevention, detection and treatment.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I too hate baseball. 

In reality the league should just shutdown and spend their energy coming up with a master realignment plan that they could implement for 2021. They could also allow teams to start making roster moves through trades and free agency now instead of forcing everything to be done after October. They could probably accomplish a lot of good things while allowing all of the teams to rewind their organizations. Baseball would be better served if everything was in place before the first pitch is thrown. 

16 minutes ago, ScottT said:

That's not in the actual proposal, is it?

I dont think that's what Bryce Harper was suggesting either

That is what he suggested.   I don’t know if it’s in the actual proposal but I do know it was talked about.  He wasn’t suggesting turning every game into 7 innings.