• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Major League Baseball Season Updates Thread

Chuck

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL!  People would be losing it.

Skubal has been getting hit pretty well too.   Both guys (and Manning), are good bets long term.

On the plud side for them, Spencer Turnbull is finally showing signs of life at age 27.

personally, I've never been super high on Mize.  Always felt he was a guy that would get squared up by major league hitters and he didn't have the velo to get around that.  Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a solid pitcher but more middle of the rotation than a front line guy.  That said, he's got all of about 23ip under his belt after making the jump from AA.  So once he learns to locate better, I am sure he'll come around.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

personally, I've never been super high on Mize.  Always felt he was a guy that would get squared up by major league hitters and he didn't have the velo to get around that.  Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a solid pitcher but more middle of the rotation than a front line guy.  That said, he's got all of about 23ip under his belt after making the jump from AA.  So once he learns to locate better, I am sure he'll come around.  

Mize may be a guy I end up being off on.  I wasn't all that worried about the 93-94 gun readings because he throws such a heavy FB, but hitters have been wrecking his curve and his split has not been effective for him.  The GB rates are there and the sinker has been working but everything else has been hammered.

27 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Mize may be a guy I end up being off on.  I wasn't all that worried about the 93-94 gun readings because he throws such a heavy FB, but hitters have been wrecking his curve and his split has not been effective for him.  The GB rates are there and the sinker has been working but everything else has been hammered.

he'll probably end up being somewhere in between what we both initially thought.  His lack of immediate success probably has more to do with the fact that he jumped from AA than anything.  Where you can miss location and still have success.  

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Alex Gordon is retiring after this season.

1749 games (with a few more left), .257/.338/.411, 190 HR, 113 SB, 867 Runs, 749 RBI, 102 wRC+, 32.2 WAR.

I'd call that the Hall of Kind of Good.

HoF? Probably so but you would have to consider Torii Hunter even more.

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

HoF? Probably so but you would have to consider Torii Hunter even more.

No, that's not what I said. I said Hall of Kind of Good, playing off of the common trope "Hall of Very Good" to refer to players--like Torii Hunter--that will never reach the HoF, but still had good careers. Gordon is a step down.

The Cards fortunately did not need to make up those two missed games with the Tigers.

Even if they were to lose them, they’d still be in the post-season.

I’m amazed that with the earlier CoVid cancelled games, those were the only two MLB games not played.

The 7 inning DH games no doubt helped.  Still don’t like it going forward though.

Edited by Angel Oracle

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Man, just realized Phillies went 3-7 to close out the season and miss the playoffs.   They had a 70% chance to make the playoffs just the other day.

Arte might have competition for Dombrowski.

Our old friend Matt Klentak is the mastermind behind that. I watched a lot of Phillies games this year, that bullpen is something else. Their big acquisition of Brandon Workman had a WHIP of 2.46 to end the year. 

The way the season ended, if they won one of 3 games in Tampa, they would’ve been in. 

3 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Our old friend Matt Klentak is the mastermind behind that. I watched a lot of Phillies games this year, that bullpen is something else. Their big acquisition of Brandon Workman had a WHIP of 2.46 to end the year. 

The way the season ended, if they won one of 3 games in Tampa, they would’ve been in. 

Yep, people have been referencing that huge 60s Phillies choke job all week.  Heads will roll.

• Chuck unpinned this topic