• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 Major League Baseball Season Updates Thread

Chuck

2 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I'll never understand the "dry heat" nonsense.

Its different, sure, but its awful... and it doesnt go away for a few months ...between , what, 11am and 10pm in AZ?

If the game time temperature is 105 degrees, it must feel like its 120 degrees on the field. These guys are going to hate this.

12 hours ago, ScottT said:

I'll never understand the "dry heat" nonsense.

Its different, sure, but its awful... and it doesnt go away for a few months ...between , what, 11am and 10pm in AZ?

I've experienced both. Both dry heat and humidity suck.

Dry heat sucks less, but the players play through this from May-August/Sept every year.

12 hours ago, RendZone said:

If the game time temperature is 105 degrees, it must feel like its 120 degrees on the field. These guys are going to hate this.

They hate going out to the field when it's 90 degrees with 100% humidity even more I imagine.

44 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

They hate going out to the field when it's 90 degrees with 100% humidity even more I imagine.

I understand that but during normal circumstances they get to travel to other states every two weeks on road trips to get away from constantly playing in those conditions. Asking players to leave their families to play 2-3 months in intense heat is really an act of selfishness and desperation. I’m pretty confident that not all players would be happy to do this arrangement and would be more than satisfied to sit out the season completely because of it. It’s human nature for the rich guaranteed contract players to just mail it in.   

I think the quality of play would be hindered because of its divide and you’ll see a lot of early substitutions with injuries like cramping, heat exhaustion. Let’s not forget that Covid-19 will impact the way they can normally prepare for games. The all Arizona idea is really bad.

Edited by RendZone

9 minutes ago, RendZone said:

I understand that but during normal circumstances they get to travel to other states every two weeks on road trips to get away from constantly playing in those conditions. Asking players to leave their families to play 2-3 months in intense heat is really an act of selfishness and desperation. I’m pretty confident that not all players would be happy to do this arrangement and would be more than satisfied to sit out the season completely because of it. It’s human nature for the rich guaranteed contract players to just mail it in.   

I think the quality of play would be hindered because of its divide and you’ll see a lot of early substitutions with injuries like cramping, heat exhaustion. Let’s not forget that Covid-19 will impact the way they can normally prepare for games. 

Dude, you're going to hate the season returning even if the players agree to a deal. 

Did you know construction workers who are in way less shape than MLB players work outside in Arizona heat during the summer for 8-10 hours a day and you're concerned about playing baseball for 3-5 hours a day, some of which will be played indoors at Chase Field, in the morning or at night. 

As far as the quality of games, there's no doubt players "heat up" during the summer hot months! 

I'd hardly compare construction workers and their reasons for working with the MLBPA.  Talk about apples to oranges.

Sans some new medical breakthrough, i'll be shocked if they can work this out for 2020.  I think the NBA (& even NHL) is easier since it's less players involved per team and they can possibly go straight to playoff action only limiting further the teams.  So it's a very limited amount of time for those involved.  But starting a whole season -- yeah good luck with that.  You simply have too many variables -- different rules in different locals, players families, safety, travel, money/salaries, etc.  It's going to take a monumental effort to get something agreed to and workable for all parties involved in MLB.  It's like a huge, complicated maze: every time you turn down one way, you eventually hit a stopping point and have to start all over. 

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Are they taking a bigger risk than my son, who was told to return to work next week, or the grocery store workers, or medical professionals?

I have no idea.   Was your son asked to take a pay cut?  Is your sons job more of a requirement than baseball?  Do your son or the players have pre-existing conditions. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I have no idea.   Was your son asked to take a pay cut?  Is your sons job more of a requirement than baseball?  Do your son or the players have pre-existing conditions. 

No, and No.  Well if you count the extra $600/wk unemployment was paying him then yes. No preexisting conditions, do the players. Also he didn't get to vote on whether to return to work. Also he's older than most of the players. I don't want anyone to take unnecessary risks but all MLB will be tested regularly, but not at my son's job. If you want me to feel sorry for the millionaires to take a pay cut, that's not going to happen... 

31 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

No, and No.  Well if you count the extra $600/wk unemployment was paying him then yes. No preexisting conditions, do the players. Also he didn't get to vote on whether to return to work. Also he's older than most of the players. I don't want anyone to take unnecessary risks but all MLB will be tested regularly, but not at my son's job. If you want me to feel sorry for the millionaires to take a pay cut, that's not going to happen... 

That’s the benefit of being part of a union I guess.  As for the players being at risk, there’s 750 of them so the answer is yes, some will be high risk.  

6 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I think Blake Snell is being a bit dramatic. It's his choice if he doesn't want to play, but chill out.There is not a high risk of you dying, numbnuts

We have no idea if these players have pre-existing conditions that compromise their immune systems.  

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We have no idea if these players have pre-existing conditions that compromise their immune systems.  

I dont give a shit.

Keep these comments to yourself, bro.... or you are gonna lose people, bro

Blake snell has a point. The league is asking all players to take the same identical risk but at different compensation. For some players like Albert it’s worth a couple of months playing baseball for $20M but for others it’s not worth doing it for $2M. 
The disparity of compensation through Covid-19 will cause some players to show up and mail it in. 

People are crapping on Snell, and Bauer (among others), about their comments with regards to risk and possibly not worth playing.  Which i understand each side.  But imagine if our wonderful angelic Angel Mike Trout decided it wasn't worth playing this year.  How would we react to that?  He has tons of money and his wife is having a baby this year.  Yes, he'd be throwing away millions this year.  But he has more money than he can spend -- so he could do it.  How would we view THAT?  MLB comes back but some guys opt out and he's one of them.  So we have no Trout for the 2020 season.  Not he he has given any indication of doing so -- i'm just using him as an example.  

"Y'all gotta understand, man, for me to go -- for me to take a pay cut is not happening, because the risk is through the roof," Snell said while answering questions on his Twitch channel. "It's a shorter season, less pay.

"No, I gotta get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine, OK? And that's just the way it is for me. Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?" - Blake Snell.

First off, what risk? This thing doesn't kill athletes in their 20's & 30's FFS. 

The real reason is he doesn't want to take a pay cut and, he's a pussy. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I bring him up because he doesn’t want to play and put his wife at risk or be isolated from her.   It’s the same result, neither want to play.  

Did you hear Trout say this on Twitch or Twitter? 

Also, it's understandable in Trout's position he's in. Not so much for Snell.