• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Prepare for War!

Lhalo

Looking at the numbers further.  Ticket prices averaged $26.64 in 2009 and $32.99 in 2019, a 23.8% increase.  So home game ticket receipts if linear would be $123 million.  Local broadcasts would be $138 million in 2020.  

The other things.  2009 salary was $112 million.  In 2020, opening day was projected to be $180 million.  

Still tickets are a big impact.

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

Looking at the numbers further.  Ticket prices averaged $26.64 in 2009 and $32.99 in 2019, a 23.8% increase.  So home game ticket receipts if linear would be $123 million.  Local broadcasts would be $138 million in 2020.  

The other things.  2009 salary was $112 million.  In 2020, opening day was projected to be $180 million.  

Still tickets are a big impact.

And all of the parking revenue. Additionally all of the revenue from MLB licensed products sold at the games belong to the owners. Having fans in the seats is huge. 

i miss going to games with my daughter.

i miss having sports on tv on friday afternoon and again on sunday as a way to relax after a busy week or work.

i miss playing golf, though that's changing now that our golf courses are opening up. but i've got a backyard driving range out of this, so no complaints.

i like being able to binge watch new shows that i wouldn't have watched otherwise because of sports.

2009 was a long time ago. The Angels get, what, $150 million from local tv and a nice chunk of change from mlb.com that didn't exist in 2009?  Plus, national tv has gone up.

At this point I just think there's too much money at stake for them not to play.

Sure, Mike Trout can probably go without a pay check for a year, but David Fletcher is on cameo.

Cameo is arguably as disturbing as COVID19 

8 hours ago, Tank said:

i like being able to binge watch new shows that i wouldn't have watched otherwise because of sports.

My work schedule hasnt changed from Covid. So between that, and little projects ive been doing to the house on the weekend, i havent really had to adjust too much (other than no bars, and not being able to go to the gym other than work)

My uninteresting point being, i havent even been able to binge watch anything, not even new movies except once or twice.

Week 1 of covid i watched the first 2 seasons of sopranos, or at least had it on in the background.... i still have never seen that show all the say through.

Honestly, this is one war the players should lose, and frankly almost volunteer to lose.
If you only play half a season, thru no fault of anyone, no labor dispute no nothing other than natural disaster, why should the owners eat all of that cost?  Jesus its not rocket science, if 25% of the season is lost cut 25% and get on with it FFS.   Are the owners getting TV money right now... i dont know, if so then diffent story but my assumption is not... if thats incorrect someone please update me but if the revenue is gutted, then i dont see an issue.  If not then sure, the players are justified. 
If they were smart they would say OK, take some cuts, and use that as leverage in negotiations for then ext CBA.   They dig in now, and we might as well accept that baseball is once again in question moving forward and that there will likely be another lockout. 

32 minutes ago, floplag said:

Honestly, this is one war the players should lose, and frankly almost volunteer to lose.
If you only play half a season, thru no fault of anyone, no labor dispute no nothing other than natural disaster, why should the owners eat all of that cost?  Jesus its not rocket science, if 25% of the season is lost cut 25% and get on with it FFS.   Are the owners getting TV money right now... i dont know, if so then diffent story but my assumption is not... if thats incorrect someone please update me but if the revenue is gutted, then i dont see an issue.  If not then sure, the players are justified. 
If they were smart they would say OK, take some cuts, and use that as leverage in negotiations for then ext CBA.   They dig in now, and we might as well accept that baseball is once again in question moving forward and that there will likely be another lockout. 

think also about the optics of it all. guys who make tons of money being pissy that they aren't earning their entire $12 mil salary, being supported by people collecting $600/week unemployment isn't going to generate much sympathy.

for one season. the players need to shut up and accept that they aren't getting a full year's salary for this one season. they'll be okay.

26 minutes ago, Tank said:

think also about the optics of it all. guys who make tons of money being pissy that they aren't earning their entire $12 mil salary, being supported by people collecting $600/week unemployment isn't going to generate much sympathy.

for one season. the players need to shut up and accept that they aren't getting a full year's salary for this one season. they'll be okay.

I would wholly agree with this, the optics are poor, BUT, out of fairness im trying to look at both sides, the optics have to look at both players and owners... if the owners arent losing then the players shouldnt either, but i dont see how that could be the case.   and by losing i mean making less as i kinda dont truly believe any are actually losing but thats another discussion. 

16 hours ago, SoPas Angel said:

I'm the opposite. I'm so desperate for sports, I'd be thrilled to watch the NBA right now. 

(Western Conference only.)

I'm desperate but not that desperate....Losing March madness and MLB has been brutal but the NBA would be about like watching Korean baseball on ESPN.....just not interested....my opinion only.

I'm almost positive the players have agreed to a salary based on percentage of the season that is played.  So if they played 50% of the season then the players would get 50% of their salary.  My understanding is the owners might be asking them to forfeit even more of their salary.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I'm almost positive the players have agreed to a salary based on percentage of the season that is played.  So if they played 50% of the season then the players would get 50% of their salary.  My understanding is the owners might be asking them to forfeit even more of their salary.  

The owners have a legitimate reason to do so. 

11 hours ago, Tank said:

i miss going to games with my daughter.

i miss having sports on tv on friday afternoon and again on sunday as a way to relax after a busy week or work.

i miss playing golf, though that's changing now that our golf courses are opening up. but i've got a backyard driving range out of this, so no complaints.

You're Kevin Costner 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

well if thats true then the players may have an argument.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I usually side with the players over uber rich owners, but I understand their point of view.  No one could have predicted a season with no fans in attendance, leading to whatever less % of revenue.  Someone's got to take the additional loss

13 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I usually side with the players over uber rich owners, but I understand their point of view.  No one could have predicted a season with no fans in attendance, leading to whatever less % of revenue.  Someone's got to take the additional loss

Yeah dude. 

This is going to be interesting how this plays out. I really hope that both sides agree on something so we can get ST games back and then some semblance of a regular season finally underway. 

I really don't care if I can't go to another game this season. I just want live meaningful sports back on my tv again. 

32 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

This is going to be the killer.  Pretty much the union is saying, we play 50% of the games, we are ok with a 50% pay cut, period.  Owners are saying, with no fans, we are losing 50% of our revenue.  And with 50% of the games, probably means 50% of the tv revenue.  So in essence owners are only getting 25% revenue, and we will share that.

Games aren't coming back this season, which means 1 year of Trout, Ohtani, Rendon records off the books.

31 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Well for the fans that really want to show their support for the team they could fill the seats with those virtual robot fans where people could pay to have their face shown in the stands with no risk. Fans from across the globe could participate. What’s really cool is that they will actually be counted in the attendance. 

7FDC43F9-6C54-4F57-B16E-9B1F5FADEA2C.jpeg

1 minute ago, RendZone said:

Well for the fans that really want to show their support for the team they could fill the seats with those virtual robot fans where people could pay to have their face shown in the stands with no risk. Fans from across the globe could participate. What’s really cool is that they will actually be counted in the attendance. 

7FDC43F9-6C54-4F57-B16E-9B1F5FADEA2C.jpeg

I can't wait for the YK posts about attendance