• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Draft will only be 5 rounds

mmc

2 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

if I was one of the big market teams I’d be buying up so many kids after that 5th round. I’d be sending out contracts starting now. Will be curious how this all plays out. 

Yeah, you'd think there would be a limit as to how many players each team can sign. 

17 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

if I was one of the big market teams I’d be buying up so many kids after that 5th round. I’d be sending out contracts starting now. Will be curious how this all plays out. 

There’s absolutely no reason why Arte couldn’t also take advantage of that. $20,000 checks are easy to write 

5 minutes ago, failos said:

How convenient after the Asstros and Red Sux lose their picks

China isn’t at fault for the virus. We have our new culprits. Red Sox and Astros teamed up to create covid 19 in a lab and distribute it throughout the world to sign draft picks after the 5th round. Brilliant. Playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. 

Interesting... also would not be surprised if the undrafted players decided to return back to college. A round 6 pick is usually valued at couple hundred thousand dollar, yet now they only get 20k max. 

8 minutes ago, failos said:

How convenient after the Asstros and Red Sux lose their picks

definitely has big impact on them, they already lost 2 picks, so they might only draft 3 guys this year. On that note, I also would not be surprised if a team is willing to spend, and have a strong development system (the Dogs, Shanks) they might benefit from this.

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

There’s absolutely no reason why Arte couldn’t also take advantage of that. $20,000 checks are easy to write 

But there is virtually no incentive for good players to take $20k.  They have all received an extra year of eligibility.  High School kids possibly, but none of the college guys.  

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But there is virtually no incentive for good players to take $20k.  They have all received an extra year of eligibility.  High School kids possibly, but none of the college guys.  

You could get hurt I guess, particularly pitchers....What kind of bonus does a 6th rounder normally get?  College baseball is a big question mark right now, financially and trying to deal with guys who were given an extra year of eligibility when the season was cancelled. Not sure it’s a real safe haven right now...

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That’s a very valid point. I think that a lot of the non major leaguers are going to get squeezed for the time being. This whole Covid thing really sucks. 

7 minutes ago, DMVol said:

You could get hurt I guess, particularly pitchers....What kind of bonus does a 6th rounder normally get?  College baseball is a big question mark right now, financially and trying to deal with guys who got an extra year of eligibility. Not sure it’s a real safe haven right now...

Last year the 6th round slot value started at $301k

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yeah, I would think anyone with prospect status would go back to school/JC, unless their family is in dire need of money.  

Forgot what the allocated amount was for everyone drafted round 11 and after 

28 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Yeah, I would think anyone with prospect status would go back to school/JC, unless their family is in dire need of money.  

Forgot what the allocated amount was for everyone drafted round 11 and after 

Pretty sure that the secret suitcase filled with cash would be appealing to some. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Last year the 6th round slot value started at $301k

You’d go back for sure if that was the case....but what if we have a significant virus spike this fall/winter and, with college sports revenue cratering, college ball is a big question mark next spring? Depending on how close I was to the upper 5 rounds as a prospect, I might take the $20,000 and get in to the more stable environment of pro ball (the closer to top 5, the less so)....I don’t know....lots of unknowns....

That extremely low $20k undrafted FA bonus limit seems designed to keep the teams with bottomless pits of money (NYY, LAD, etc) from scooping up a bunch of decent talent (yes, there's still decent players after round 5) that would otherwise get distributed fairly evenly among all the teams.

And don't forget the NCAA is rolling over every baseball player's eligibility to next year.  2020 freshmen will be freshmen again in 2021, etc. 

The first pick of the 6th round would have been a $321,100 slot bonus.  Slot bonuses all the way out to the end of the 10th round were to be $142,500 and above. 

So for those college juniors who think they would have been a 6th-10th rounders, I can't imagine there will be too many takers of that flat $20k bonus.  I gotta think most of them will go back to their college for 2021 and get a full junior year and hope to get the $140k-$320k they would get in a normal draft next year.

Likely the same thinking will apply to high schoolers who would have been in that same range.  Some will just take their NCAA scholarship and play the next three/four years there.  Others can go the junior college route and be eligible for the 2021 draft.

This all goes back to the owners wanting to cut/limit the minor leagues.....which goes to one single thing: money$$$.  

It has zero to do with Corona Virus-19.  They are using CV-19 to get what they want.  I'm sure GMs/etc, MLBPA, players, local cities, etc. all are in agreement that this is a bad idea.  But one group, the ones that matter here (i.e., 32 owners), want something else....and they win.