• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Moves the Angels have made that the majority of the fanbase liked, but you disliked, or vice versa?

mmc

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

The whole reason I'm here (via ESPN board) is because I heard the rumor about Beltran and was hitting refresh on the ESPN board trying to get updates as I really wanted him to be an Angels player.

Yeah, seemed like it was an all but done move back then. We supposedly had tried to trade for him before. He would have been the perfect partner with vlad. Great baserunner too, so Sosh i imagine wanted him.

Ive posted this before. Beltran wanted 7 years $105. We said no, too expensive...

We instead gave finley 2/14. Realized that was stupid. So we gave GMJ 5/50. Realized that was stupid, so we gave Torii 5/90.

Now, i suck at math, but...

1 hour ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Hated the Carney Lansford trade, but hey, we got Burleson and Hobson from Boston!

Burleson was a heckuva player but messed his shoulder up in his first or second season in Anaheim and was never the same....

4 hours ago, Bronson said:

Rendon is in a different league from Hamilton. Both as a player and person. I think Rendon is gonna turn out to be our best free agent signing ever. With his bat control and approach to hitting, he can be an all star caliber hitter for his entire contract.

Better than Vlad? We got our sole HOF there 

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

Better than Vlad? We got our sole HOF there 

I think he will be more consistently better then Vlad. He might not have the start Vlad had but I think his final years here will be better then Vlad’s final years here. Just my opinion.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yeah, seemed like it was an all but done move back then. We supposedly had tried to trade for him before. He would have been the perfect partner with vlad. Great baserunner too, so Sosh i imagine wanted him.

Ive posted this before. Beltran wanted 7 years $105. We said no, too expensive...

We instead gave finley 2/14. Realized that was stupid. So we gave GMJ 5/50. Realized that was stupid, so we gave Torii 5/90.

Now, i suck at math, but...

Yeah, I was bummed we missed on that one. Then we went nuts in CF’s, although Hunter lived up to the contract.

6 hours ago, nando714 said:

I hated that we moved on from vladdy. He should have been an angel till he retired 

I hated trading away Jim Edmonds 

I hated choosing to go all in on Mo Vaughn and not Randy Johnson. Or was Johnson our first choice and didn’t win the bidding war? 

As I recall we were all in on Vaughn and Johnson. We just got outbid on the latter.

10 hours ago, Lou said:

Vladdy had an OPS+ of 131 (.888 OPS) his last 3 years here. 

I remember vividly how many on here turned on vlad the last year or two.... always killed me because i loved the guy. "Stupid baserunner! Too many double plays!"

Then Torii.... "i wish hed shut up! Hes no leader!"

Thats what a decade of everything going right led to... people got spoiled.

I hated when we traded Ed Figueroa and Mickey Rivers to the Yankees for Bobby Bonds back in '75.

I hated when we sold Rudy May (Autry must have needed the cash, I remember the year the Angels drew only 750,000)

I hated trading Fregosi for Ryan and Stanton, loved it afterwards.

I hated trading Dave Collins, Jason Thompson, Aurelio Rodriguez

Never understood why we didn't want Leon Wagner.

The Vernon Wells trade was the worst.  Scioscia just hated Napoli, Rivera was better than Wells.

Well, it seems we all agree that Wells and Hamilton were probably bad deals .... 😉

But since this is about contradicting the conventional wisdom, I think it would have to be the Haren trade - I loved Haren, but I thought we'd pretty much left the competitive window - I think I said something like "By the time we're ready to compete for the World Series, Haren will be retired to the golf course" - I wanted to keep Skaggs and Corbin (and Saunders) while we reloaded (and Saunders' reaction was so painful.)    

But neither Skaggs nor Corbin developed as quickly as I'd hoped, and you know, if we had a decent LF'er not named Wells, we might've done something those two years.

I still think I was right - but don't think it's as cut-and-dried as I thought then.  

As someone mentioned, didn't like throwing Grichuk into the Freese trade, and kind of opposed the Simmons trade at first - like many, thought Newcomb was gonna be big.  But quickly got over that.  (Still kills me we drafted Lindsey - and 4 other guys - over SImmons in 2010.)  

On 5/6/2020 at 7:20 AM, DMVol said:

Uh no.....we were a championship caliber team and Tex was a huge get....Kotchman's star had already faded a bit at the time of the trade....The reaction was overwhelmingly positive about the trade as I recall....

On 5/6/2020 at 7:29 AM, Brandon said:

This is correct

Huh, most of my friends and Angels fans I knew HATED that trade.  I agree with the both of you that it was a great trade for the Angels and absolutely made sense at the time.  FWIW, most of these people were not the best informed fans either and most likely just liked Kotchman even though he wasn't that great. 

On 5/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, SoPas Angel said:

trading Joe Saunders for Dan Haren. 

That deal included Patrick Corbin and Raphael Rodriguez. Also Skaggs as the PTBNL

Hated to see Saunders and Corbin go. That was one good trade Dipoto made, but as the interim GM of the DBacks

Edited by True Grich

On 5/7/2020 at 10:56 AM, oldguy said:

I hated when we traded Ed Figueroa and Mickey Rivers to the Yankees for Bobby Bonds back in '75.

I hated when we sold Rudy May (Autry must have needed the cash, I remember the year the Angels drew only 750,000)

I hated trading Fregosi for Ryan and Stanton, loved it afterwards.

I hated trading Dave Collins, Jason Thompson, Aurelio Rodriguez

Never understood why we didn't want Leon Wagner.

The Vernon Wells trade was the worst.  Scioscia just hated Napoli, Rivera was better than Wells.

I didn't like the trade either, mainly because of Napoli, but Wells was better than Rivera. Rivera was coming off a negative war year and Wells was a former gold glove center fielder who just hit 30 Homer's and a 4 WAR season. I thought Wells would be good, I wasn't expecting the huge decline like that. But Rivera was nowhere close to Wells. In fact Wells sucked less than Rivera after the trade. The next three seasons Rivera was worth a combined -. 5 war while Wells was only -. 1

On 5/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, happybat4 said:

I didn't like the trade either, mainly because of Napoli, but Wells was better than Rivera. Rivera was coming off a negative war year and Wells was a former gold glove center fielder who just hit 30 Homer's and a 4 WAR season. I thought Wells would be good, I wasn't expecting the huge decline like that. But Rivera was nowhere close to Wells. In fact Wells sucked less than Rivera after the trade. The next three seasons Rivera was worth a combined -. 5 war while Wells was only -. 1

A lot of people overlooked his home/away splits that prior year, and his age and injury history.   I thought a .700 OPS in the AL West was where he'd be. 

Turns out, that was a bit optimistic.

Of course, the true outrage was the contract.  I remember an article earlier that year on Anthopolous taking over, and one of the challenges he faced was Wells and the "most toxic contract in baseball today" ... that made him "untradeable."  

I can't remember the exact details now, but I worked out that to make that trade "fair", Toronto needed to send us, iirc, $45m  and we send them *nothing* - not Rivera, not Napoli, just a bag of use batting practice balls.  

From a pure value perspective, that trade had to be one of the top 10 worst trades ever made - and the tragedy is that most people knew it the day it was made.