• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you can take injuries away from any past player

If you could just remove injuries from any past player's career (is no longer in the league), who it would be, and why? You can pick one Angels player and one non-Angels player. Lets exclude death as an injury considering it's so emotionally charged. My non-Angels pick is Nomar. I'm very tempted to pick Kerry Wood because it'd be interesting to see what his true upside would've been sans elbow/arm injuries, but with Nomar, we very much saw how good he could've been and I would love to see how great his career could've been if he remained that solid defensive SS and high average/extra base power combo. My Angels pick is Tim Salmon. I'm forever an undying Tim Salmon fan I guess, but just the longevity of his career with the Angels, him having a lot more complete seasons, especially later in his career when the Angels were more on the fringe and his health could've made the difference in team success.

Good question, not sure I can single any one player out. Tim Salmon was my first thought as well, then my mind bounced around to Kotchman and McPherson, if only to see how good either of them could've truly been given full health. The biggest difference maker would probably be Garret Richards though.

Non-Angel, the first player that came to mind was Albert Belle, to see if he could've put himself into HOF discussion without the hip injury that ended his career. The next would be Ken Griffey Jr. The dude didn't do shit after 30, mostly because he only had 2 full seasons after that.

Non-Angel Tony Conigliaro 

His career was derailed when he was hit in the face by a pitch thrown by Angels' pitcher Jack Hamilton.  

Angels Bobby Valentine

Broke his leg when his cleats caught in the centerfielf CHAIN LINK FENCE at Anaheim Stadium.  Why the stadium had chain link fencing is a mystery to me.  Never was the same speedy .300 hitter after that.

39 minutes ago, Sully151 said:

My first thought for Non-Angel was Ken Griffey Jr. It would have been crazy to see what he could have done with 5 more good years.

Probably could've made a run at Aaron's HR record if he stayed completely healthy and is my Non-Angel choice.

For an Angel player, my choice is Dallas McPherson.  I wondered how well he would've played in the majors. 

I want to say Tanana, but, while he would have had a HOF career, the ramifications of Kendrys getting hurt are much deeper.  We never would have signed Pujols.  This was a move I never quite understood.  Morales was due to come off the injured list and Trumbo just came off a decent season.  The Pujols signing left us with 3 first basemen,  which was awkward and the team has been awkwardly constructed ever since.  

Non-Angel, I would have to go with Bo Jackson.

P.S.  One of the great Tanana quotes from the early 70's... "Next year we've got everybody coming back......and that's the problem!"

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

I know he's not retired yet, but if Kendry(s) doesn't break his leg in 2010, a lot would have been different for the Angels in the years that followed.

I was literally going to say this. If Kendra’s doesn’t get hurt the domino effect completely changes the Angels future. 

13 hours ago, Angels Never Die said:

If you could just remove injuries from any past player's career (is no longer in the league), who it would be, and why? You can pick one Angels player and one non-Angels player. Lets exclude death as an injury considering it's so emotionally charged. My non-Angels pick is Nomar. I'm very tempted to pick Kerry Wood because it'd be interesting to see what his true upside would've been sans elbow/arm injuries, but with Nomar, we very much saw how good he could've been and I would love to see how great his career could've been if he remained that solid defensive SS and high average/extra base power combo. My Angels pick is Tim Salmon. I'm forever an undying Tim Salmon fan I guess, but just the longevity of his career with the Angels, him having a lot more complete seasons, especially later in his career when the Angels were more on the fringe and his health could've made the difference in team success.

Non Angels pitcher -- Mark Prior.   Non Angels hitter -- Bo Jackson.   Jason Kendall is another guy you can't help but wonder about -- that ankle injury wrecked him.

Angels pitcher -- he's still playing but Richards is a big what coulda been.   Non playing, you gotta wonder what Tanana would have been had he not blown out his arm but at least he managed to have a career.  Not as lucky was Jason Dickson..   

Angels hitter -- Troy Glaus -- through age 27 he was on pace with Mike Schmidt..     Salmon and GA -- we got to see them at their peaks, Glaus was 27 when his back went sideways and while he had that one huge season he is maybe second to Trout as far as pure talents to come out of the system.

12 hours ago, Taylor said:

I know he's not retired yet, but if Kendry(s) doesn't break his leg in 2010, a lot would have been different for the Angels in the years that followed.

He's retired.