• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols not yet ready to talk retirement

49 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Pujols may think he might not retire after the 2021 season but I don't think he will have a say in that decision. I just can't imagine there is a team willing to sign him.

Well he’s going to be mad at God again.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Pujols may think he might not retire after the 2021 season but I don't think he will have a say in that decision. I just can't imagine there is a team willing to sign him.

This is APs version of Ichiro saying he wanted to keep playing into his 50s.  Ultimately the game and father time make the decision for them.

16 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He doesn't hit well enough to be a DH anywhere, which would be the only reasonable option. His fielding has noticeably declined, and he holds the major league record for GIDP that probably won't ever be challenged.

None of us expected the ending to be pretty. I - and I imagine lots of others - thought the first 3-4 years of the contract would be good enough to make the last 6-7 years palatable. 

I was wrong. 

2 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

He doesn't hit well enough to be a DH anywhere, which would be the only reasonable option. His fielding has noticeably declined, and he holds the major league record for GIDP that probably won't ever be challenged.

He is 6th in all time home runs which only will be challenged if Manfred keeps doctoring the baseball. 

I'm sure Albert doesn't intend to play after next season.  He just wants to control when and how he announces his retirement.  The headline on the ESPN article was "Albert Pujols not ready to talk retirement."  There is no point in his announcing (i.e. talking) retirement 16 months ahead of time.  No player ever does that.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:34 AM, SoPas Angel said:

The Angels retiring Pujols's number would be almost as bad as Boston throwing a parade for Ray Borque when he won a Stanley Cup in Colorado

But I suspect the idea is more of an AW original than an actual organizational plan. 

The Miami Heat retiring Michael Jordan's number.

The Dallas Mavericks retiring Kobe Bryant's number.

MLB Network is running an Albert Pujols Marathon with some of his greatest games. Of course they'll be from his St. Louis days.

I was just watching his first 3-homer game in 2004 against the Cubs, and saw an opposite field blast to right-center in the 9th inning that broke an 8-8 tie. Vintage Albert. Pure power, and he got around the base paths in a hurry. 5-5 with three HR as St. Louis won 11-8. Makes me want to cry.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN200407200.shtml

7 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

MLB Network is running an Albert Pujols Marathon with some of his greatest games. Of course they'll be from his St. Louis days.

I was just watching his first 3-homer game in 2004 against the Cubs, and saw an opposite field blast to right-center in the 9th inning that broke an 8-8 tie. Vintage Albert. Pure power, and he got around the base paths in a hurry. 5-5 with three HR as St. Louis won 11-8. Makes me want to cry.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN200407200.shtml

Good lord did Arte get sold a bill of goods with this trash heap of Angels Albert.

Has any player other than albert been thrown out at first from left field?

5 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

Wow, I had no idea Dallas was doing that. Yeah, that's worse.

I think there was a period in February of this year where one hockey game in Manitoba, Canada wasn't dedicated to Kobe Bryant.  Everything else in the world was a dedication.