• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols not yet ready to talk retirement

33 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Well yes we all know that he’s getting the money but the Angels could certainly take away his roster spot. They should just buy out his playing time, ceremoniously retire his no. 5 and appropriately place his placard next to Jimmie Reese. 

I wouldn't even retire his jersey number. He's going into the Hall as a Cardinal. His Angels career will be a footnote. $250 million for a .764 OPS (which will go lower the more he hangs around). 

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

I wouldn't even retire his jersey number. He's going into the Hall as a Cardinal. His Angels career will be a footnote. $250 million for a .740 OPS (which will go lower the more he hangs around).

In a show of respect and in good faith the Angels should do everything possible to get him back to St Louis. He has fans there that adore him. He has a great history there. He would probably appreciate it and it would be a win-win for both organizations. It would actually be good for baseball. 

He's talking now from a place of comfort physically. Once the grind resumes the wear and tear may change his mind. And if his numbers/playing time are reduced this season (If there is one) he may have second thoughts. But that money is pretty hard to walk away from.

Maybe he asks the Angels to trade him to St Louis for a swan song? I remember Rusty Staub, Gary Carter, Tim Raines returning to the Expos near the end of their careers after being away for years. All were very short term however but were appreciated by fans. 

Definitely HOF as a Cardinal. No comparison between his numbers/accomplishments. His Angel time has just been about longevity, slowly reaching milestones incrementally. No reason to retire his number as an Angel. Had he been part of a post season winning team maybe there would be more sentiment. 

If baseball resumes and puts forth an 80-100 game season, Albert would have a chance to pass Willy Mays And settle in at #5 on the all time home run list. That would be acceptable for him to play out this season then talk about next. But right now, Claude is being Clod. 

The Angels retiring Pujols's number would be almost as bad as Boston throwing a parade for Ray Borque when he won a Stanley Cup in Colorado

But I suspect the idea is more of an AW original than an actual organizational plan. 

11 minutes ago, RendZone said:

It was Stradling that said Albert would retire early. I always believed he would never walk away without his entire pay.

I do not remember Stradling writing that. He may very well have, I just don't remember it. 

I DO remember you writing "He’s doing the organization an injustice by staying," as it was just 14 hours ago. Which is why I accused you of clamoring for Albert to retire. 

39 minutes ago, GoaTrout said:

He can go play for Cardinals

This reminds me of the guy that caught Albert’s 600 home run ball and gave it back to him. He said that it wasn’t his ball, it’s Albert’s, and he deserves to have it.

He’s not our HoF’r, he’s the Cardinals and they deserve to have him back to reach those milestones in front of the fans he loves. I think it would be a tribute to Albert, the Cardinals and a show of good will to baseball. 

Edited by RendZone

2 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

I do not remember Stradling writing that. He may very well have, I just don't remember it. 

I DO remember you writing "He’s doing the organization an injustice by staying," as it was just 14 hours ago. Which is why I accused you of clamoring for Albert to retire. 

Yep I said that.  I own what I’ve said over the years.  

2 hours ago, RendZone said:

It was Stradling that said Albert would retire early. I always believed he would never walk away without his entire pay.

Criminy....

Should we remind you of all the things you've said and been completely wrong about? 

Does Chuck have enough bandwidth to handle a post that big?

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Criminy....

Should we remind you of all the things you've said and been completely wrong about? 

Does Chuck have enough bandwidth to handle a post that big?

Yanks aren’t interested in Cole, they don’t need him, they’ll just drive up the price for the Angels.  

Ok your turn.  

On October 20, 2019 at 1:46 PM, RendZone said:

The Yankees won’t sign Gerrit Cole. They will try to upgrade their team through trades. They had an injury riddled season and still won 103 games. They will have both German (with an apology) and Montgomery back next season. They still have Tanaka, Severino and Paxton. They have trading chips with Andujar and Frazier to put on the block to upgrade if they choose to. 

Here’s the logic. The Yankees only care about Cole if he somehow draws interest from the Red Sox. They could care less if he goes to any west coast team. 

2 hours ago, RendZone said:

He’s not our HoF’r, he’s the Cardinals and they deserve to have him back to reach those milestones in front of the fans he loves. I think it would be a tribute to Albert, the Cardinals and a show of good will to baseball. 

What does Albert want? Because whatever he wants will happen.

45 minutes ago, Taylor said:

What does Albert want? Because whatever he wants will happen.

He never really asked for anything but if he falls short of any of his desired milestones he may ask for an extension of the good clubhouse guy position that he currently plays.

Edited by RendZone

Albert had 4 pretty good years for the Angels.  The others have been pretty bad.  That’s disappointing.  But I guess looking back at it now, it’s not really a surprise they didn’t get more then that.  It’s too bad that they didn’t get to make the runs they were hoping to make when they gave him the contract.  The vibe around the Angels in those few years was World Series contender.  It didn’t happen because we all know the team was horribly mismanaged.  

Pujols just shouldn’t be playing Major League Baseball anymore.  But that’s not his fault.  It’s the Angels fault.  

Edited by UndertheHalo