• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels All-time Lineup

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2888341-ranking-every-mlb-team-by-its-all-time-starting-lineup.amp.html?%24deeplink_path=article%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2888341-ranking-every-mlb-team-by-its-all-time-starting-lineup&%24fallback_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsyndication.bleacherreport.com%2Famp%2F2888341-ranking-every-mlb-team-by-its-all-time-starting-lineup.amp.html&_branch_match_id=719325988478391233

All-Time Lineup

1. 2B Bobby Grich
2. CF Mike Trout
3. RF Vladimir Guerrero
4. 3B Troy Glaus
5. DH Tim Salmon
6. LF Brian Downing
7. 1B Darin Erstad
8. SS Jim Fregosi
9. C Bob Boone
SP Chuck Finley

Notes

• Mike Trout (72.8) is already the franchise's all-time leader in WAR by a wide margin. The next-closest player is Chuck Finley (52.0), while the second-highest total for a position player belongs to Jim Fregosi (45.9).
  • The left field battle between Brian Downing (1,661 G, 126 OPS+, 222 HR, 846 RBI) and Garrett Anderson (2,013 G, 105 OPS+, 272 HR, 1,292 RBI) was extremely close.
  • Chuck Finley over Nolan Ryan? While there is little question Ryan was the bigger star, it's Finley who holds the advantage in WAR (52.0 to 40.0), ERA+ (118 to 115) and innings pitched (2,675 to 2,181.1).

Indesputable: Grich, Fregosi, Trout, Guerrero, Salmon (in some order of RF/DH).

Debatable: Boone vs. Molina, Erstad vs. Joyner/Carew, Glaus vs. DeCinces, Downing vs. Anderson (I guess), Finley vs. Chance/Ryan/Tanana/Witt/Weaver.

It really depends on peak vs career. Chance, Ryan, and Tanana were all better peak pitchers than Finley. Maybe Witt and Weaver too.  But the rest is really just personal preference, with the exception of Downing vs. Anderson. Downing was clearly better, but some might prefer Garret due to World Series bias.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Just for fun, here's the all-time lineup by best year according to fWAR. Players must have played more games at the position than any other. DH is best wRC+ by player not previous listed. I've included five starters and one reliever.

C Brian Downing (1979): 5.0 WAR, 144 wRC+

1B Don Mincher (1967): 4.4 WAR, 154 wRC+

2B Bobby Grich (1979): 5.6 WAR, 141 wRC+

SS Jim Fregosi (1964): 7.0  WAR, 136 wRC+

3B Troy Glaus (2000): 8.0 WAR, 150 wRC+

LF Darin Erstad (2000): 8.7 WAR, 140 wRC+

CF Mike Trout (2013): 10.2 WAR, 176 wRC+

RF Vlad Guerrero (2005): 5.9 WAR, 154 wRC+

DH Tim Salmon (1995): 5.8 WAR, 163 wRC+

SP: Nolan Ryan (1973) 8.7, Dean Chance (1964) 7.6, Frank Tanana (1975) 7.2, Mike Witt (19866) 6.7, Bill Singer (1973) 6.2.

Closer: Francisco Rodriguez (2004) 3.7 WAR

16 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I'm surprised to see no mention of Jim Edmonds.

He might be the second best player this franchise ever produced, but no way he makes the team over Trout in center. If you want to argue in favor of sliding him over to a corner, you could argue against Downing who put up similar numbers over more years while Guerrero just blows him out of the water. If you want to consider him at DH, Salmon at his peak, especially when just looking at their career as Angels is far superior.

Weaver is so underrated.  In a do or die situation, I'd take him over ANY other Angel pitcher (except perhaps pre-injury Tanana).

Up until the last 3 years of his career, his winning percentage was close to .666.  When bored at work, I'd search baseball reference, and I could find only Pedro and Whitey Ford with that percentage (in modern times).

On 5/1/2020 at 10:25 AM, AngelsLakersFan said:

He might be the second best player this franchise ever produced, but no way he makes the team over Trout in center. If you want to argue in favor of sliding him over to a corner, you could argue against Downing who put up similar numbers over more years while Guerrero just blows him out of the water. If you want to consider him at DH, Salmon at his peak, especially when just looking at their career as Angels is far superior.

Then you might as well slide Trout over to LF, as Edmonds was a better defender. Or you could cheat and just pick three outfielders (e.g. Trout, Edmonds, Guerrero, with Salmon as DH).

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Then you might as well slide Trout over to LF, as Edmonds was a better defender. Or you could cheat and just pick three outfielders (e.g. Trout, Edmonds, Guerrero, with Salmon as DH).

No slideys!

16 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm having a hard time moving Trout out of CF, but that is probably going to get you a better lineup.

• 4 weeks later...

My all time Angels lineup:

1B Wally Pujols

2B Howie Grich

SS Andrelton Fregosi

3B Troy Figgins

C  Bengie Boone

LF Garret Downing

RF Torii Salmon

CF Mike Trout.  Well, duh.

LHP Chuck Langston

RHP Nolan Weaver

RP Frankie Percival

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

My all time Angels lineup:

1B Wally Pujols

2B Howie Grich

SS Andrelton Fregosi

3B Troy Figgins

C  Bengie Boone

LF Garret Downing

RF Torii Salmon

CF Mike Trout.  Well, duh.

LHP Chuck Langston

RHP Nolan Weaver

RP Frankie Percival

No Vlad? 

On 5/1/2020 at 1:52 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Just for fun, here's the all-time lineup by best year according to fWAR. Players must have played more games at the position than any other. DH is best wRC+ by player not previous listed. I've included five starters and one reliever.

C Brian Downing (1979): 5.0 WAR, 144 wRC+

1B Don Mincher (1967): 4.4 WAR, 154 wRC+

2B Bobby Grich (1979): 5.6 WAR, 141 wRC+

SS Jim Fregosi (1964): 7.0  WAR, 136 wRC+

3B Troy Glaus (2000): 8.0 WAR, 150 wRC+

LF Darin Erstad (2000): 8.7 WAR, 140 wRC+

CF Mike Trout (2013): 10.2 WAR, 176 wRC+

RF Vlad Guerrero (2005): 5.9 WAR, 154 wRC+

DH Tim Salmon (1995): 5.8 WAR, 163 wRC+

SP: Nolan Ryan (1973) 8.7, Dean Chance (1964) 7.6, Frank Tanana (1975) 7.2, Mike Witt (19866) 6.7, Bill Singer (1973) 6.2.

Closer: Francisco Rodriguez (2004) 3.7 WAR

I remember Don Mincher.  He played a good first base and hit for power relative to the era.

6 hours ago, Bronson said:

I know Rendon hasn’t played one regular season game with us yet, but I put him at 3rd over Glaus. And I hate to do it because Glaus was my favorite player growing up but Rendon is in a whole other league. 

No