• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sabathia gives props to Shohei

Claude

author completely blows it in his last paragraph. so 90 is in the same universe as 101? because ohtani has registered that with the angels.

of course there are many major leaguers that can hit 90, i'd imagine there are literally dozens upon dozens. 

they're underserving ohtani by only talking about fastball speed and homerun power. homeboy is a legit allstar level pitcher and hitter in skillset. 

17 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Will be curious what will happen contract wise if he can be that ace we are hoping for and hit 20 to 30 home runs yearly. He will break all sorts of records in terms of contract numbers. 

He will be an Angel for his entire career.  I would guess his contract will be in line with Trout.

Will be curious what will happen contract wise if he can be that ace we are hoping for and hit 20 to 30 home runs yearly. He will break all sorts of records in terms of contract numbers. 

He's still too much of a gimmick to get a crazy contract. Right now he's the offensive equivalent to Brad Fulmer and the pitching equivalent to Garret Richards. These were useful players but part time guys never get big contracts, and being two part time players in one is always gona hurt him more than help him contract wise.

36 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He's still too much of a gimmick to get a crazy contract. Right now he's the offensive equivalent to Brad Fulmer and the pitching equivalent to Garret Richards. These were useful players but part time guys never get big contracts, and being two part time players in one is always gona hurt him more than help him contract wise.

I agree if he never lives up to his potential. But that’s why I said if he becomes an ace for a full season regularly and hits 20-30 home runs. His contract will be insane. 

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

I agree if he never lives up to his potential. But that’s why I said if he becomes an ace for a full season regularly and hits 20-30 home runs. His contract will be insane. 

Well I mean he already has pitched like an ace, and he already has hit 20 homeruns. This is his potential, he just needs to do it at the same time. The problem is, one will always subtract from the other. He'll never give us 200 innings and he'll never have 600 PAs. If he could, yes his contract will be insane, but what is the market for a Brad Fullmer mixed with a Garret Richards or a Brandon Woodruff, or Frankie Montas or a Ross Stripling? His upside looks like around 4-5 war to me, which is two 2 win players in a single package, and those guys aren't getting meaningful contracts anymore.

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Well I mean he already has pitched like an ace, and he already has hit 20 homeruns. This is his potential, he just needs to do it at the same time. The problem is, one will always subtract from the other. He'll never give us 200 innings and he'll never have 600 PAs. If he could, yes his contract will be insane, but what is the market for a Brad Fullmer mixed with a Garret Richards or a Brandon Woodruff, or Frankie Montas or a Ross Stripling? His upside looks like around 4-5 war to me, which is two 2 win players in a single package, and those guys aren't getting meaningful contracts anymore.

I guess time will tell. If Ohtani doesn’t have anymore meaningful injuries. Pitches like an ace and hits 20-30 home runs yearly. I can see teams throwing silly money at him. Throw war out the window when u have a two way super star like that. Time will tell if he does it consistently though. He has to perform with those kind of numbers for a handful

of more years At low costs anyway. 

On 4/29/2020 at 9:29 AM, AngelsLakersFan said:

He’s not a gimmick at all; he can pitch and hit very well. He only needs to prove that he can stay healthy.

4 hours ago, Tim69 said:

Also that comparison you made to GRich and Brad Fullmer is batshit

Not really.

Fullmer had wRC+ of 132 and 134 in his two years as the Angels part time DH. Ohtani was at 151 and 123 in his two years as part time DH. Obviously I'd take Ohtani's upside but their production was comparable. Ohtani beats Fullmer in war by about 1 win, but that is largely due to what was essentially a career ending injury to Fullmer in mid 2003.

In his two years with us Ohtani has managed 50 innings, a 3.31 era and 3.57 FIP. In his career so far Richards has managed a 3.60 era and 3.64 FIP. He's also averaged about 90 innings over the last 8 years.

From 2014 through 2017 Richards averaged a 3.06 era and 110 innings. Do you think we'll get more out of Ohtani? That seems like a reasonable high end projection for him IMO.

4 hours ago, Tim69 said:

He’s not a gimmick at all; he can pitch and hit very well. He only needs to prove that he can stay healthy.

He is a gimmick in the sense that he is two all star caliber players masquerading as a platoon DH and a top shelf starting pitcher who can't stay on the mound. The rules do not favor his skill set. Look I love the guy, but in two years he's put up 5.6 total war. He was probably a 5 war right fielder in 2018 if he didn't bother with the pitching and easily a 4 war pitcher if he staid healthy and focused on that. I have no problem with how the Angels have used him but I think it's more likely he ends up focusing on one specialty than becoming the two-way legend we all are dreaming on.

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He is a gimmick in the sense that he is two all star caliber players masquerading as a platoon DH and a top shelf starting pitcher who can't stay on the mound. The rules do not favor his skill set. Look I love the guy, but in two years he's put up 5.6 total war. He was probably a 5 war right fielder in 2018 if he didn't bother with the pitching and easily a 4 war pitcher if he staid healthy and focused on that. I have no problem with how the Angels have used him but I think it's more likely he ends up focusing on one specialty than becoming the two-way legend we all are dreaming on.

Give him a chance. Can’t stay on the mound? I mean he got hurt his first year. But ok sure. 

Give him a chance. Can’t stay on the mound? I mean he got hurt his first year. But ok sure. 

I'm not labeling him injury prone or anything, but not being able to stay on the mound has been a very real part of his recent career (last 3 seasons). Perhaps more significantly though, if he continues to hit he will continue to be a part time pitcher even with full health. For that reason I think a comparison to Richards is far more appropriate than to a guy who's logged over 500 innings the last 3 years.

On 4/30/2020 at 4:06 PM, ukyah said:

if fox had made Kung Fu as a prime time comedy in the 90's.

David allen grier would have co starred, and the show would have been off the air after the first season.

And some lady no one had heard of would have appeared last in the credits, and the only on with " and so and so as "fill in the blank". Never understood why the last person always had their character name in the opening credits, like they were cooler than everyone else.